View Full Version : Is the teacher right?

Ladybird2
09-11-13, 12:12 PM
Hi, my daughter is in the process of being assessed for ADHD. I spoke to her head of year (she is in year 11) who advised me that ADHD is caused by E numbers and that in her experience children used this label as an excuse to be naughty. I feel very confused by her opinions, as my daughter needs help with her leaning and social skills, not criticism.:(

someothertime
09-11-13, 12:18 PM
E numbers? Like low grades?

What was the context of speaking with this person?

What is your desired outcome?

Does your daughter have any ongoing interests or talents?

mommytriz
09-11-13, 12:48 PM
HI there, and welcome.

Low grades and academic achievement do NOT cause ADHD, however, the teacher is correct only so far as to say that SOME students who are frustrated by there inability to grasp concepts or who feel their efforts in the past are not producing results may just "be naughty" or act out as a result of this frustration and lack of hope & learned helplessness. In many of these cases as well though, it can be lack of understanding how to teach so that these kids can "get it". Learning disabilities can look like ADHD in a classroom and ADHD can look like a LD in the classroom.

ADHD is a disorder involving brain neurotransmitters/chemicals which impairs peoples ability to have basic executive functioning skills that NT people take for granted. The range of impairment is vast, but can involve focussing, impulsivity, memory, processing etc. Many of these skills CAN be learned by ADHD'ers, IF you are aware of the problem and receive appropriate treatment.

If your daughter has ADHD and has made it through school till grade 11 undiagnosed she is likely a very intelligent girl who has to expend a huge amount of energy to achieve any results at all and focussing that energy is most likely very difficult with ADHD. Hopefully the dx process isn't too lengthy and if she has ADHD she can get prompt treatment. I bet her whole world will open up for her with this new understanding.

There is another poster whose daughter recently received a dx in her late teens and turned her academics around almost immediately. She lives in Spain & hopefully will have some advice for you. My daughter is only 9 and had very obvious issues early so luckily she won't have to suffer as I'm sure your daughter has.

silivrentoliel
09-11-13, 12:51 PM
people like that make me want to flick them in the eyeball.

best thing to do, i would think, is gather some scientific articles on adhd and show them to her... that way, you have more than what you might say about her being wrong to back you up

Stevuke79
09-11-13, 01:28 PM
Hi, my daughter is in the process of being assessed for ADHD. I spoke to her head of year (she is in year 11) who advised me that ADHD is caused by E numbers and that in her experience children used this label as an excuse to be naughty. I feel very confused by her opinions, as my daughter needs help with her leaning and social skills, not criticism.:(

I really think that at least a basic understanding of these issues should be required of teachers. The teacher is very wrong and such teachers tortured me as a kid; this really strikes a chord.

I like to start with the positive; there is some truth in her view. Yes, if someone has ADHD, you need to excuse a certain amount of fidgeting, wandering eyes, doodling, .. stuff like that. In that sense it's an excuse the way that asthma is an excuse for poor performance in gym. You could even call it naughtiness. (Btw, I have asthma too,.. always finished running laps last in gym, and the gym teacher indeed disciplined this naughtiness or more precisely, lack of effort. In his defense, I hadn't been diagnosed.) Disciplining may help the teacher deal with a frustrating situation but it wont help your child. It's like if my daughter spills her drink while using my ipad - I may feel justified in yelling, and confiscating - but if not for the ipad, I'd know it's an accident with nothing to punish. In other words, if I yell, I'm venting; no matter what I tell myself, that's not teaching or parenting. Same with teachers and ADHD symptoms like fidgeting.

I'm 34 and still ADHD; if I were to attend your class, I would look you right in the eye, take notes and fidget. If I don't fidget my mind has to wander; I can no more prevent fidgeting than I can a sneeze. I can hold it a while, but it's coming - and a 45 minute class period is a pipe dream. Some interpret that as signs of not listening and they feel irritated insulted and REALLY FRUSTRATED. For centuries teachers have disciplined whatever they didn't like - what other benchmark did they have? Mostly they got it right with things like fighting, cheating and bullying. They have also been known to discipline things like left-handed writing and hand-fidgeting, so they're not quite aces and don't always step outside themselves when they need to.

I understand her view. She's ignorant and ill-equipped; it's so unfortunate for children that this is par for a teacher. ADHD is an excuse for naughtiness??!! I would pull my kid out mid-year without a second thought!

addthree
09-11-13, 02:34 PM
What medical school did she attend? Maybe her lazy teaching has an effect on students grades?

sarahsweets
09-11-13, 02:37 PM
Tell that teacher to go f**k herself.

dvdnvwls
09-11-13, 02:38 PM
There are kids who "play the system".

Then there are kids who "always did fine in school until now" but who have had ADHD all along. (I was one of those.) It would be only too easy to accuse us of deciding, when school gets difficult, to start faking ADHD. Perhaps your daughter is accidentally being punished for having been able to overcome her deficits relatively well until now.

Stevuke79
09-11-13, 05:51 PM
Perhaps your daughter is accidentally being punished for having been able to overcome her deficits relatively well until now.

Well said!

Imnapl
09-18-13, 11:38 PM
My local school district no longer attempts to diagnose ADHD because it is a medical condition.

Janben
09-19-13, 12:00 AM
I think there might be a misunderstanding in this thread. The child is in the UK. E numbers in Europe are artificial food colours ie. yellow 6 in the US is E123 in the UK. So what the teacher is actually saying is similar to Feingold etc. by avoiding food colours your child symptoms might lessen.
You could try looking at Feingold and see what happens. Many people think ADHD is just an over diagnosed excuse but that's not really very helpful to the family involved.
Good luck with your testing.

LynneC
09-19-13, 06:29 AM
I think there might be a misunderstanding in this thread. The child is in the UK. E numbers in Europe are artificial food colours ie. yellow 6 in the US is E123 in the UK. So what the teacher is actually saying is similar to Feingold etc. by avoiding food colours your child symptoms might lessen.

Thank you for the clarification... :)

Lunacie
09-19-13, 09:05 AM
I know in the UK they're working hard to eliminate colorings and additives
from foods. As I understand it, those things may cause hyperactivity but
they Do Not Cause ADHD. So the teacher is a little right and a lot wrong.

Still a good idea to avoid food dyes and see if it makes a difference, but if
your daughter does have ADHD, it won't make a very big change.