View Full Version : Taking Charge of Adult ADHD

MarathonEngineer
09-12-13, 01:20 PM
Best. Book. Ever.

I had just been officially Dx'd in June, and so far life is amazing since I've gotten help. I have been looking around at good books for ADHD and stumbled upon this one, absolutely fantastic.

I have also been watching some of Barkley's lectures either before or after reading the book (multiple types of media help me remember) and I have to say the man knows his stuff!

Just so I didn't get a (too) biased thought/opinion over things I had also read some of Amen's and Tuckmen's stuff. I liked Tuckmen A LOT more than Amen, not a big fan of him...

Anyone else read Taking Charge?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Traveler5
09-12-13, 02:46 PM
Have the book but keep procrastinating to read it -- seriously. I know I should at least browse through it.

I have a hard time reading non-fiction books and usually only read about halfway through fiction unless it's a novel that really grabs my attention.

My ADHD is at the moderate level so it's not crippling me to the point where I feel I need as much help as I can get.

MarathonEngineer
09-12-13, 04:08 PM
Have the book but keep procrastinating to read it -- seriously. I know I should at least browse through it.

I have a hard time reading non-fiction books and usually only read about halfway through fiction unless it's a novel that really grabs my attention.

My ADHD is at the moderate level so it's not crippling me to the point where I feel I need as much help as I can get.

I've always been a super inquisitive individual, thankfully. It is my drive and desire to learn more that has kept me still in college to say the least! As for ADHD being moderate, perhaps you've just developed a strong enough coping mechanism to compensate, but there's never (in my opinion) a point where someone can deny themselves help, no matter the level. All I know is when I get a headache, I think I'm gonna die and immediately start taking care of it haha

But yeah, I always find if I read like 4/5 books at a time and jump around to keep myself interested, it helps a lot!

WheresMyMind
09-12-13, 05:33 PM
I've made it to chapter six. The biggest stunner to me is that I have nto finished it. I've read at least 30 books on ADHD and this one, by far is the best: the sequence of info makes sense, each concept builds "just enough" on the preceding one and he's not talking like he's juiced up on caffeine (Tuckman is like that, yet claims not to have ADHD).

I used to recommend Hallowell and Ratey as a good first book, but this one has replaced it.

MarathonEngineer
09-12-13, 07:38 PM
I just made it to.. Oh wow I just looked 17!! Bought this book last night... wow! haha

I grew up reading CONSTANTLY and now I can actually read again and it is awesome!

Traveler5
09-12-13, 08:16 PM
I've always been a super inquisitive individual, thankfully. It is my drive and desire to learn more that has kept me still in college to say the least! As for ADHD being moderate, perhaps you've just developed a strong enough coping mechanism to compensate, but there's never (in my opinion) a point where someone can deny themselves help, no matter the level. All I know is when I get a headache, I think I'm gonna die and immediately start taking care of it haha

But yeah, I always find if I read like 4/5 books at a time and jump around to keep myself interested, it helps a lot!

I consider myself pretty curious about things and want to know more when it comes to subjects of interest but, quite honestly, getting into all the detail of the subject bores me. I guess that's why I can't get into the Barkley book. I know I would get bogged-down with all the nitty-gritty information, get distracted, then I'd lose interest and shelve the book with the best of intentions to read it sometime in the near future. I have a lot of non-fiction and fiction books sitting on shelves and unread. I admire your ambition to learn and ability to study to obtain knowledge. Keep at it.

Sometimes I wonder to what degree my ADHD really is. It's one of those things that if you have it all your life you don't know anything different so you just keep moving on. My 11-year-old has ADHD and I see a lot of me in him when I was young, but that was so long ago I don't know if what I remember was ADHD behavior or just being a normal little kid. My mother would know but she's been gone now for 17 years. As an adult, I've had one general practitioner tell me I'm most likely ADHD and I currently have a psychiatrist who says I am and since the meds help me, I guess the diagnosis is true. Like I say, I think I have moderate ADHD when I compare myself to some ADHDers here on the forum who seem to have it pretty severe and it's almost crippling to them. I'm not anywhere near that but it has greatly impacted my learning abilities, self-esteem as a kid, and career. Other than that, I consider myself fairly normal (when on meds) and happy, and blessed.

4mygirlsnme
12-11-13, 01:55 PM
I just made it to.. Oh wow I just looked 17!! Bought this book last night... wow! haha

I grew up reading CONSTANTLY and now I can actually read again and it is awesome!

I remain unable to read and comprehend well but I still try, Barkley, Hallowell, and Lustig have been my favorite reads. I have used the videos they have on youtube as well, at least in regard to Barkley and Lustig. They both have great stuff out there, Barkley's Essential Ideas for Parents is a great 3hr seminar showing parents the ins and outs. don't know if you have seen it but I watch it a lot to keep it foremost in my thoughts.

MarkuZ
01-25-14, 02:57 PM
I've read it, it's a great book. Barkley is a great researcher, so he really knows what he says. Totally recommended.

pixie cut
10-25-15, 03:08 PM
have placed transfer request on it at public library, will hope to start this week. thanks

aeon
10-25-15, 04:18 PM
I consider myself pretty curious about things and want to know more when it comes to subjects of interest but,
quite honestly, getting into all the detail of the subject bores me. I guess that's why I can't get into the Barkley
book. I know I would get bogged-down with all the nitty-gritty information, get distracted, then I'd lose interest
and shelve the book with the best of intentions to read it sometime in the near future.

I can relate to that. :) Thatís why I tend to consume Barkley via YouTube.

On the other hand, when it comes to Dr. Allan Schore, I can read and read. His book
Affect Regulation and the Origin of the Self: The Neurobiology of Emotional Development,
at 500+ dense and heavy pages, is currently being read for the third time.

Sometimes I wonder to what degree my ADHD really is. It's one of those things that if you have it all your life
you don't know anything different so you just keep moving on.

And thatís what I did. I knew I was different, I knew something wasnít quite right...
but I did the best I could, and kept moving on.

I could never say to what degree my ADHD affects me. I mean, I am clearly disabled
in some ways, but in others I can not only appear normal, but do parlor tricks that will
dazzle you. :p

Thatís part of the reason I didnít get diagnosed until I was 41...all those past doctors
were dazzled by my parlor tricks. ;)

But not my current doctor. He saw my tricks for what they were. And so I was diagnosed.

The other day he commented on his appraisal of the severity of my ADHD.
He said my degree of ADHD was ďsevere.Ē

So now I know. And it makes sense, knowing what I know. :doh:

But it doesnít make my parlor tricks any less dazzling, damnit! :yes::lol:

sigh,
Ian