View Full Version : What's the differences between SSRI's, and are any effective?

Astrowave
09-12-13, 03:25 PM
All I read or hear about is the huge list of bad side effects that antidepressants have, such as weight gain, sexual dysfunction, insomnia, more severe depression (?), and weakness.

However, I have also seen commercials for medications that mention side effects including death, which seems comical to me. Obviously a side effect as serious as death must be extremely rare and dependent on specific health conditions for a drug to be approved. I assume that not all the side effects for SSRI's are that common either. Or so I hope.

Seems like antidepressants have worse effects than what they are supposed to cure, but it's hard for me to figure how any of them can be beneficial or help at all if they can also CAUSE depression :confused: So I suppose the way I view the risks to benefits would depend on the frequency of occurrences for certain side effects.

If I would almost certainly lose sexual function: I would be giving up one of the few things that I still truly enjoy.
If I would almost certainly gain weight uncontrollably: I would be throwing away my pride from years of effort of losing over 100 pounds and getting fit and healthy.
If I would almost certainly become more depressed than actually becoming happier: I would.. well I would just be more depressed, and that is just counterproductive.

I'm trying to view things optimistically, I swear! I just don't understand how all of these meds differ in effects if they are all Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. As I understand it, serotonin is serotonin, so what's really different from one SSRI to another? And how can an SSRI possibly make someone more depressed?

If anybody has experiences or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

sarahsweets
09-12-13, 04:06 PM
Im partial to SNRI's myself.