View Full Version : How many anti depressants would you try?

Fuzzy12
09-13-13, 09:19 AM
I've tried three, Sertraline, Venlafaxine and Duloxetine (now I'm back to Sertraline with no results..again :doh:)

Oh and lamotrigine, which just made me more depressed, I think.

What else is out there? Tried SSRIs and SNRIs (and an anti epileptic). What's next? MAOI? Tricyclic? ECT?

Apparently mirtazapine is often added to another anti depressant but I'm kind of scared that I'll gain weight again. I'm thinking of asking my GP for wellbutrin, at my next appointment but apparently that's only prescribed as a smoking cessation aid. I do need to stop smoking but well, I don't want to right now. :rolleyes:

Would it make sense to try more SSRI and SNRIs? There's still citalopram, fluoxetine, etc. :scratch: Again, I'm scared of weight issues. I know that shouldn't be my priority, but I have an eating disorder anyway and don't deal well with changes in my appetite or any weight gain.

Or should I just give up on meds? Be more proactive about getting some form of therapy? Probably I should do both. Look for a med that works and try therapy. Anyway, ignoring therapy, has anyone had more luck with a particular antidepressant type or treatment method?

Abi
09-13-13, 09:22 AM
Wellbutrin

Then Remeron (tetracyclic)

Then SxRI + Antipsych like Abilify

Then Tricyclic

Then ECT

Then Herbal stuff, chiropractors, faith healers etc.

Then MAOIs

Seriously, we are too forgetful and impulsive. We WILL* eat something wrong or take some OTC pill we shouldnt. I developed a shellfish allergy over 2 years ago, and I *still* accidentally sometimes pick up a prawn at a buffet and get sick before realising what I'd done.

Fuzzy12
09-13-13, 09:24 AM
So what do you think helped you more than others?

Abi
09-13-13, 09:28 AM
Oh I haven't tried most of them.

That's what I WOULD* try if what I take doesn't work.

I take Citalopram 40 mg for the "emotional symptoms" and Wellbutrin 150mg twice daily for the physical symptoms. They work well.

For bipolar I have to also take a mood stabiliser - Sodium Valproate 300mg thrice daily. Plus a benzo for anxiety and general wellbeing.... Clonazepam 1mg thrice daily. Plus Haloperidol 0.5 mg twice daily. And Nitrazepam 10mg at night for sleep, if required.

VeryTired
09-13-13, 10:41 AM
Fuzzy--

If many well-known antidepressants aren't helping, could that be because they are not actually what you need? Many people with ADHD also have depression, or have depression caused by ADHD, or have depression-like responses to the experience of having undiagnosed ADHD. The ADHD is the more fundamental problem in these cases, and treating it can lead to improvement regarding the depression as well.

Some medications which treat ADHD can directly help with depression or depression-like symptoms, in addition to treating ADHD symptoms. And for many people with ADHD, the experience of sudden relief of what have been life-long bad feelings, experiences, symptoms upon taken ADHD medication is in itself exhilarating.

If I had tried all the anti-depressants you had without benefit, I would be looking for a different sort of answer. And I wouldn't even consider trying to do that without the help and support of therapy.

There is absolutely no reason for you not to pursue the CBT right now, and EVERY possible reason to do so, urgently. If nothing else, therapy would be a place where you could sort out your feelings, needs and goals regarding the medications.

Fraser_0762
09-13-13, 10:52 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't touch any of them.

I know they can help some people, but others find themselves down an even bigger hole than they were before they started trying all these different medications.

I don't think it's worth the risk, unless its absolutely necessary. But that's just my opinion/perspective.

bobabuoy
09-13-13, 11:49 AM
medication literally saved my life, so I have no hesitation recommending antidepressants. the side effects are minimal in comparison to possible benefit.

you might consider asking your doctor to augment an ssri with wellbutrin. Wellbutrin is prescribed for depression and not just smoking). The wellbutrin could also help with adhd.

Fuzzy12
09-13-13, 11:52 AM
medication literally saved my life, so I have no hesitation recommending antidepressants. the side effects are minimal in comparison to possible benefit.

you might consider asking your doctor to augment an ssri with wellbutrin. Wellbutrin is prescribed for depression and not just smoking). The wellbutrin could also help with adhd.

Sigh, I know. I've already asked my GP about Wellbutrin but in the UK, it's only prescribed as an anti smoking aid. It's not even the first line anti smoking aid. In fact, my GP had never heard of Wellbutrin. She had to look it up. :rolleyes:

I'll ask again. I could ask my psychiatrist but he is even more unlikely to prescribe anything useful.

Rebelyell
09-13-13, 12:26 PM
Ive tried paxil zoloftl celexa wellbutrin, tried statters, dr wanted to give me seraquel and abilify.i said no to both of them.thats why if my current meds stop working im gonna be up craps creek n sol

Abi
09-13-13, 12:32 PM
Sigh, I know. I've already asked my GP about Wellbutrin but in the UK, it's only prescribed as an anti smoking aid. It's not even the first line anti smoking aid. In fact, my GP had never heard of Wellbutrin. She had to look it up. :rolleyes:

I'll ask again. I could ask my psychiatrist but he is even more unlikely to prescribe anything useful.

In South Africa, my PSYCHIATRIST had never heard of it.

Thankfully I'm also a chain smoker. My official prescription was for smoking cessation.

heytheredelilah
09-13-13, 09:10 PM
I've tried three, Sertraline, Venlafaxine and Duloxetine (now I'm back to Sertraline with no results..again :doh:)

What else is out there? Tried SSRIs and SNRIs (and an anti epileptic). What's next? MAOI? Tricyclic? ECT?

Apparently mirtazapine is often added to another anti depressant but I'm kind of scared that I'll gain weight again. I'm thinking of asking my GP for wellbutrin, at my next appointment but apparently that's only prescribed as a smoking cessation aid. I do need to stop smoking but well, I don't want to right now. :rolleyes:

Would it make sense to try more SSRI and SNRIs? There's still citalopram, fluoxetine, etc. :scratch: Again, I'm scared of weight issues. I know that shouldn't be my priority, but I have an eating disorder anyway and don't deal well with changes in my appetite or any weight gain.

Or should I just give up on meds? Be more proactive about getting some form of therapy? Probably I should do both. Look for a med that works and try therapy. Anyway, ignoring therapy, has anyone had more luck with a particular antidepressant type or treatment method?

I can't give you any advice because these situations are so personal and every story is made different by its details. I can share my own experience though. I am glad I didn't give up on drugs. In the last year and a half, I have been on 11 different drugs, including the two I am taking now. Six of those were for either anxiety or depression.

I don't think I have bipolar; just have had recurrent depression in my life. I am now on citalopram and though it's only been two weeks, I am noticing HUGE improvements. Citalopram is one of the ones that doesn't cause as much weight gain, I've heard. Many people lose weight on it -as made apparent by the interwebs. It also works more quickly than a lot of other SSRI's (you'll feel results within 1-3 weeks, as opposed to 4-8).

I tried Venlaflaxine for months before. Gained 15 lbs and didn't fix a thing. Literally, nothing changed except I had even less energy than usual. I lost the weight once I came off of it.

I do think I will continue to need therapy. I have downloaded a CBT app on my phone for now and it is helping me notice various behaviours. You could even try books; a well-known CBT book is Mind Over Mood.

I'm not sure how good my current therapist is for me, but she is better than no therapist and I will be trying to get a new one as well.

When I was extremely depressed just a couple of months ago, I was trying to set up an ECT assessment/referral. That could work too! You could talk to your doctors about it and also research from reputable online sources.

someothertime
09-13-13, 10:43 PM
Don't give up. I think it would help a lot to have a log of the percieved effects of each...

Also, one or two informed second opinions...

On the one hand you gotta minimise disturbance ( wise medicinal choices + carefully considered and monitored rollout-rollback ).

On the other hand, it's almost a given that several solution will not be therapudic and create / intensify the very things they aim to surpress.

Keep trying based on informed, balanced options... If so many haven't worked, I feel your pretty close to finding one that helps..... A lot...

Canadian Mess
09-13-13, 11:36 PM
Tell your doctor that all the anti-depressant drugs aren't working. You need something that actually works.

I think Wellburtin would be your best bet since it should help ADHD and depression. If the doctor won't prescribe it for that, then tell your doctor that you want to stop smoking and you need an "aid" to stop. If you get prescribed useless stuff, maybe it'll be useful for the smoking... but just say it didn't help. Wasteful yep.

It doesn't matter that it might be a white lie or somewhat untrue (I mean you do want to eventually), or that you don't want to stop smoking. The main point is Wellburtin is for a "cessation aid" for smoking in the UK. Find out the requirements to get that "cessation aid" Wellburtin and hint at them or something.

Unethical? Probably. But is it worth it? Yes. It doesn't matter if that's a lie at this point or you are not ready to stop smoking, doctors in the UK don't seem to be "with the times"- so if they aren't doing their job very well, just do what you have to do. This is your life, you can't afford to let incompetent doctors waste it.

The Wellburtin might even help with the eating disorder, allow you to feel like being active, minimize your need to smoke, get you some of the help you need... essentially it might help with all of the things you are dealing with, you just haven't been given the right treatment.

Flory
09-14-13, 03:30 AM
Fuzz can you have citalopram or fluoxetine ?

jeaniebug
09-14-13, 12:45 PM
I personally love fluoxetine. And it is not expensive. Helps with anxiety as well. My Vyvanse also helps my depression. That's just me, everyone is different, as you know! ;)

AlexaN
09-14-13, 07:38 PM

I tried 9.....before i found 2 that help more than harm.
and by the way the thing that brought me back to life was meds+CBT therapy.

keliza
09-14-13, 09:22 PM
Generally after you try a handful drugs in a certain class, you can eliminate that class of drugs as being helpful. That has always been the rule of thumb my psychiatrists have used with me (I have had 3 over the years as I've moved back and forth).

I tried a LOT of antidepressants. Zoloft, Lexapro, Cymbalta, and Effexor ALL made me manic, effectively crossing out the SSRI and SNRI categories. Wellbutrin made me manic. Remeron made me so foggy as to be totally useless at low, medium, and high doses. I have no memory of those 3 weeks, so I have no idea if it helped alleviate my depression or not. All I know is I was just as depressed when I came out of the fog as I was going into it.

After that we moved on from antidepressants completely, as they were clearly not doing much for me. Lithium made me very sick, my body did not tolerate it well at all. Neurontin wasn't strong enough to help any. Lamictal did help for a while but it stopped, and I couldn't keep going up because of the side effects on my skin.

Right now I'm taking Trileptal, an anti-epileptic drug that also works as a mood stabilizer. It's not a very good antidepressant (by which I mean it's not an antidepressant at all) but it is good for stabilizing my manic episodes. I have yet to find a good antidepressant. Now instead of cycling the full spectrum between major depression and mania, I just cycle in and out of depressive episodes. It's not perfect but it's an improvement.

Therapy is really good for helping get through major depressive episodes. All depressive episodes, even those that have a primarily biological root, have emotional and psychological aspects to them that can be targeted with good therapy and improved. Therapy teaches you coping mechanisms to get through the depressive episodes faster and with less collateral damage to your life. It gives you a place to vent, strategize, and be validated by a third party, which can be extremely helpful. To me therapy is just as necessary to my wellness as medication.

Don't give up on medication yet. You still have SO many meds you haven't even tried yet. The antidepressant class of drugs hasn't worked for you, which sucks, but it doesn't mean that medication as a whole doesn't work for you. Do you see how many drugs I've gone through before I found one that I can stay on that caps off my manic episodes? And I'm still trying to find a way to stabilize my depressive episodes. But I'm fighting for it. You have to keep fighting for it.

fracturedstory
09-15-13, 12:40 AM
70. 71 is just pushing it it. I would suspect my doctor is only interested in medicating me if I had the try my 71st anti-depressant.

Sorry. Bad joke.

I wouldn't try any more than three.

I need medication so bad. Then again I'm not always depressed. I think I'm going crazy sometimes but it's not just depression.

My next doctors appointment is coming up.

Reekwind
09-22-13, 08:52 PM
I'm on my second SSRI now and I've decided to never put myself through the feeling of insanity that I suffer while starting an SSRI. I'm extremely sensitive for some reason and it's generally hard for me to handle drugs that hasn't got a direct effect.