View Full Version : "Feeding Minds - The Impact of Food on Mental Health"

Unmanagable
09-15-13, 07:03 PM
The link towards the bottom of this post is a publication from The Mental Health Foundation in the UK. It is not ADHD specific.

My intent in sharing this publication is to help others increase awareness of the gut/brain connection.

I am in not trying to state that good nutrition will "cure" anything.

I am also not trying to imply that good nutrition can or will replace medication as a treatment for anything for anyone.

I feel it is important to make the best choices and changes that we can based on our individual needs and circumstances as our awareness increases.

Personally, I haven't been able to eliminate my symptoms through better nutrition, but I am sometimes better able to manage them and recognize why. I also still use medication, meditation, exercise, loving kindness, music, etc. Success rates still vary and always will.

Real food is what our bodies recognize and need to thrive healthily, not the heavily chemically laden processed food-like substances they try to pass off as being healthy options.

I hope someone finds something useful in my rant and/or the publication. :)

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/content/assets/PDF/publications/Feeding-Minds.pdf

(page 27 is the start of a good explanation about the processing of "food" - copying and pasting from a PDF file gets choppy, so I won't - my patience to edit it and make it easier to read is non-existent today)

Daydreamin22
09-16-13, 12:03 AM
I think a lot of people are allergic to gluten

Unmanagable
09-24-13, 01:55 AM
This post does not focus on the gut/brain connection, but the overall and emotional impact of not having access is why I felt like this would be the best fitting thread to put it in.

This story is one of many kick a** examples of how access to healthy food can be attained in areas that are considered "food deserts" with active participation from as few as 200ish people.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/12/living/cnnheroes-emmons-food-deserts/index.html

"Discovering this problem sparked something inside Emmons, who had recently left her corporate job to find more meaningful work. "I really thought it was an injustice. Healthy food is a basic human right," she said.

"I decided to rip up my whole backyard and make it all a garden, and it just kind of snowballed from there." (added by me because the first vision I had when I heard of "yardens" was of having to get heavy equipment in to dig it all up: Permaculture design makes the "yarden" possible without having to "rip up" your yard. You build it up from the ground as it is and do things along the way that lower the overall maintenance in the long run, creating a healthy, sustainable growing environment. Good stuff.)

Today, Emmons has 200 volunteers helping her tend 9 acres of crops on three sites. Since 2008, she says, her nonprofit, "Sow Much Good", has grown more than 26,000 pounds of fresh produce for underserved communities in Charlotte."This is such an invaluable topic to me because the state of the world is getting more and more chaotic, more toxic, more artificial, more dependent, more hurried, and modern conveniences will inevitably cease to be so damn convenient.

It already has ceased to exist for many, for quite some time. There's a lot of exhausted, undernourished, angry, hungry, hurting, unhealthy desperation. :(

The United States Department of Agriculture's definition of a food desert:

http://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/usda-defines-food-deserts

USDA Defines Food Deserts

Food deserts are defined as parts of the country vapid of fresh fruit, vegetables, and other healthful whole foods, usually found in impoverished areas. This is largely due to a lack of grocery stores, farmers’ markets, and healthy food providers.

This has become a big problem because while food deserts are often short on whole food providers, especially fresh fruits and vegetables, instead, they are heavy on local quickie marts that provide a wealth of processed, sugar, and fat laden foods that are known contributors to our nation’s obesity epidemic. The food desert problem has in fact become such an issue that the USDA has outlined a map of our nation’s food deserts, which I saw on Mother Nature Network. The Food Desert Locator is a part of the First Lady’s Let’s Move initiative to end childhood obesity.

According to the USDA: Part of the First Lady's Let's Move! initiative, the proposed Healthy Food Financing Initiative (HFFI) will expand the availability of nutritious food to food deserts—low-income communities without ready access to healthy and affordable food—by developing and equipping grocery stores, small retailers, corner stores, and farmers markets with fresh and healthy food.

MX2012
09-24-13, 08:59 PM
Unmanageable -- thank you for the publication, I am still reading it.

Now, I need a meal plan to lose weight and keep up with all these nutritional necessities. :=}

I find it hard to maintain a healthy diet and I do eat healthy as it is but I know I keep missing various necessary items.

Thanks.

SteveEk
09-25-13, 04:17 AM
To lose weight you need to stick to daily routine which should be prepared in advance and increase the intake of green vegetables, soups and salad in your diet which helps to minimize your body weight and one important thing is drink plenty of water and lemon solution to minimize extra fat on your body.