View Full Version : Fave Firefox Add-Ons?

zoomman
09-16-13, 12:37 PM
I love Firefox! I want to hear from other FF users about which Add-ons they simply must have.

Every time I install Firefox I always install the same, beloved add-ons:

DownloadHelper: Allows one to easily download most video one encounters on the web. When people started producing these things for Firefox, a race of sorts developed between youtube and these add-on developers. DownloadHelper has been pretty consistently ahead of the curve.
AdBlock Plus: Blocks ads, again, less clutter and visual noise speeds my page loading and makes my web surfing experience all around better.
Ghostery: Blocks and reports on web-bugs, little invisible trackers hidden in most web pages to report on one's activity. Some of these aren't necessarily "evil," but I'm creeped out by the thought of being "watched" all the time ... so this eases my mind.
NoScript: I'm also creeped out by all the hidden programming that runs unseen at a lot of websites --- some of it is pretty evil stuff too, I gather. This Add-on stops everything from running until I give it the go-ahead. This means I have to do a little tweaking at some sites, but it cuts out a lot of distracting animations, non-essential videos, and ads.
HTTPS Everywhere: Created by Electronic Frontier Foundation, it loads encrypted versions of web pages if available. It's not an official Firefox add-on and is available at EFF.org (https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere).
BetterPrivacy: Removes flash cookies, (aka "Super cookies") that are used (also) to track one's activities on the web. These are cookies are NOT stored with other browser cookies, and are not deleted along with them. Indeed, according to a PC Magazine article (http://www.pcworld.com/article/231458/betterprivacy.html), some advertisers use Super cookies to track which regular cookies are deleted, and then re-create them.:eek: Triple creep out!

So, that's me and mine. Admittedly, I went into a bit of detail about each add-on, and that's not necessary ... but I would love to hear which you use.

dvdnvwls
09-16-13, 02:27 PM
I'll add one...

Auto Pager: Read forum threads (and other sites - search results, blogs, etc) all the way through in one go, without having to click the next-page indicators. Works on many many sites, including all the most popular ones. You can teach it to work on sites that it isn't yet set up for, but I've never done that. There are some sites where it can't work, but I haven't encountered many. Only problem I've encountered is that rarely it will get "stuck" somehow and get into an endless loop of showing the last page of a site over and over again instead of coming to a stop.

zoomman
09-16-13, 03:29 PM
I'll add one...

Auto Pager: Read forum threads (and other sites - search results, blogs, etc) all the way through in one go, without having to click the next-page indicators. Works on many many sites, including all the most popular ones. You can teach it to work on sites that it isn't yet set up for, but I've never done that. There are some sites where it can't work, but I haven't encountered many. Only problem I've encountered is that rarely it will get "stuck" somehow and get into an endless loop of showing the last page of a site over and over again instead of coming to a stop.
I like the sound of that! Does it work at addf?:p

dvdnvwls
09-16-13, 03:48 PM
I like the sound of that! Does it work at addf?:p
Of course! What would be the point otherwise? :lol: But yes, it does.

Fraser_0762
09-16-13, 03:56 PM
None of them. Because most of the add-ons seem to come with adware of some kind. i'd rather keep it plain and simple.

dvdnvwls
09-16-13, 04:03 PM
None of them. Because most of the add-ons seem to come with adware of some kind. i'd rather keep it plain and simple.
The ones listed so far are free of that stuff, and some of them are actually part of combatting that stuff.

Fraser_0762
09-16-13, 05:00 PM
The ones listed so far are free of that stuff, and some of them are actually part of combatting that stuff.

I find firefox to have some terrible memory leakage, it doesn't seem to matter what version I use. When I use add-ons, the memory gets eaten up faster meaning I have to keep restarting firefox every 5-10 minutes.

dvdnvwls
09-16-13, 05:27 PM
The preference to only load tabs when clicked on has helped a lot here. Also not ever having more than 1 or 2 tabs that contain flash or other video components. Some flash programmers are idiots, apparently - or flash just doesnt' work.

I'm on Linux so may be different for you.

Tony72
09-16-13, 05:39 PM
Well besides adblock and google advertisement cookie opt-out--which I'm sure does nothing--I was always partial to the older themes (like firefox 3). Although I think it stopped being compatable a few versions ago. Now I just modify the toolbars to look like the older versions.

Fraser_0762
09-16-13, 05:44 PM
The preference to only load tabs when clicked on has helped a lot here. Also not ever having more than 1 or 2 tabs that contain flash or other video components. Some flash programmers are idiots, apparently - or flash just doesnt' work.

Firefox seems to launch a seperate process for flash. It's that process that seems to do the most damage. I don't know why they still haven't intergrated it into Firefox itself.

I've never had flash issues with other browsers such as Saffari and Opera, although they carry a wide range of different problems themselves.

dvdnvwls
09-16-13, 06:09 PM
Firefox seems to launch a seperate process for flash. It's that process that seems to do the most damage. I don't know why they still haven't intergrated it into Firefox itself.
No idea. Other than headache avoidance.

Tony72
09-16-13, 09:37 PM
If I have a couple of tabs open with flash on them and one crashes they all crash. I never have to stop multiple instances of the process so I know it only has the one. And while I can't say I've looked for it I've never noticed multiple instances of flash running in task manager when I have multiple tabs open. I do know firefox keeps one process for all tabs so I don't see it opening multiple for flash. At the same time I do have other addons installed for media like shockwave so maybe one of those change it.

Although flash in general seems to be pretty terrible. Other than videos I hate flash sites. Luckily--and this is the only time I'll be happy about anything apple may have helped along--html 5 is supposed to be replacing flash in the near future. Or have I been reading that wrong?

And fraser, has it been doing that only on your current rig? I just ask because if the memory leak issue is relatively recent or has only happened on a specific aged rig/format then you could be having a hardware related memory leak. Usually that culprit is RAM so you'd be having the same ML issues elsewhere, but it could also be because of HD fragmentation. I was having huge memory leak and application fault/hang issues with a specific game. Long story short: 2 weeks worth of trouble shooting and debugging and I bit the bullet and reformatted. Fixed the issue. I know my hardware was fine with the exception of a highly fragmented 300gb HD.

Firefox for me can get relatively memory intensive. Right now 290k and the plugin container running at 240k, but it doesn't get much higher than that. If I have the same window open all day it'll creep from 80-120k to about what it is now, but never enough so slow my comp down unless I'm running something else more memory intensive than steam.

zoomman
09-17-13, 09:21 AM
Also not ever having more than 1 or 2 tabs that contain flash or other video components. Some flash programmers are idiots, apparently - or flash just doesnt' work.

This is one of the those things where NoScript really makes a difference for me. I notice it especially on some older machines that I tinker with, old Pentium 3 Dells, specifically, where more than one flash window can grind the machine to a near standstill even with all the above add-ons

Me too, Ubuntu 12.04, specifically ... (Linux Mint XFCE on the older machines currently). It's definitely spoiled me, too. All browsers on Windows machines (haven't tried W8) seem to have annoyingly slow handling at times that I just don't see with Linux.

But I digress. The topic is Fave FFox Add-ons, not operating systems, sorry.

I wonder if Tony and Fraser's FFox probs might not be improved with learning to use NoScript. Indeed, it was the way that some websites used to simply grind my old Dell to a halt while pages were loaded (back when it was running XP) that got me playing with NoScript in the first place.

Tony72
09-17-13, 12:18 PM
I don't have firefox issues. My issues was a video game. It was just an example of how a fragmented HD can do crazy things.

zoomman
09-17-13, 01:38 PM
If I have a couple of tabs open with flash on them and one crashes they all crash. I never have to stop multiple instances of the process so I know it only has the one. And while I can't say I've looked for it I've never noticed multiple instances of flash running in task manager when I have multiple tabs open. I do know firefox keeps one process for all tabs so I don't see it opening multiple for flash. At the same time I do have other addons installed for media like shockwave so maybe one of those change it.

Firefox for me can get relatively memory intensive. Right now 290k and the plugin container running at 240k, but it doesn't get much higher than that. If I have the same window open all day it'll creep from 80-120k to about what it is now, but never enough so slow my comp down unless I'm running something else more memory intensive than steam.

I misunderstood these parts as being probs ... oops.:o I got brain issues.;)

dvdnvwls
09-17-13, 03:51 PM
This is one of the those things where NoScript really makes a difference for me.
Agreed that NoScript makes a huge difference. It can be quite a pain to train it what to do if you want strict settings, but probably worth it.

Reminds me of another good add-on:

RequestPolicy: Related to NoScript. RequestPolicy gives you the option to allow and disallow loading of scripts that do not originate on the site that's being loaded. For example, on sites that subscribe to tracking services, external ad generators, and so on, you can turn those third-party servers on and off one by one.

zoomman
09-20-13, 01:04 PM
Add another one: "ReminderFox." I used to use it all the time years ago, and just ran across it again. What a boon for ADHD Firefox users. It's a simple date/time reminder that runs in Firefox and pops up little reminder windows.