View Full Version : Medication Adjuncts

Hyperman87
09-19-13, 09:37 AM
As an adult I've become more determined than ever to make my ADHD symptoms go away for as many hours a day as is possible! So I've tried Stimulants(Adderall & Vyvanse), Tricyclic Anti-depressants(Elavil) & Beta-blockers(Propranolol & Nadolol) all of which have been effective for my ADHD.

One thing I forgot that helps me in addition is Caffeine. A couple cups of coffee(especially in addition to Vyvanse,Elavil & Nadolol + daily exercise) is(for me anyway) a very effective combination in combating my ADHD symptoms & despite the negatives or drawbacks of caffeine,there are so many benefits(including improved health of the circulatory system & possible prevention against Parkinson's disease!) that I'm willing to try it.Until just recently,I'd always told myself caffeine in addition to my stimulant was out of the question.

However, this is not necessarily strictly speaking typical & for some might even be downright unsafe or unhealthy.

AdamLL
09-19-13, 12:46 PM
Hyper I have read that other people have found coffee helps also and of course others it doesn't. I think that it depends on the person. Glad to hear you have found something that is helping.

Plognark
09-19-13, 01:01 PM
Caffeine has a synergy with amphetamines, so it can work well. That's awesome that it helps you!

For some people (like myself) the synergy can be too intense, and can cause mood swings, anxiety, and other issues. I do find that having a little bit of caffeine in the afternoons can prolong the effects of Vyvanse pretty effectively, but I'm talking really small amounts.

I wonder if some people who get a really positive result from caffeine are actually under medicated on amphetamines?

Either way, if it works for you, keep at it :D

Hyperman87
09-19-13, 04:53 PM
Yeah & synergy feels awesome when it's not causing you uncomfortable side-effects! :) I feeling chilled out & almost sleepy like :) but because of the stimulant. I've been back on ADHD stimulants for 2 years & I forgot that one of the things that often made my doses of Dexedrine(as a teenager) so potent was drinking Pepsi or Coke often in the mornings with my dose of Dexedrine. :)

My exercise routine & Nadolol(My Beta-blocker) make adding caffeine a safer option. However, I must be careful. Amitriptyline effects the metabolism of Caffeine,making it stay in the body longer .So lower doses cause a much stronger reaction.

dvdnvwls
09-19-13, 05:10 PM
If you try coffee alongside a stimulant medication, try it in tiny amounts, like an eighth of a small cup. Some people have quite uncomfortable or even bad reactions to caffeine plus stimulant. If you drink a tiny amount of coffee and you get no effect, then of course try a little more if you want. But better a bit of frustration over too little coffee, than problems with anxiety attacks, heart & blood pressure.

Hyperman87
09-19-13, 05:22 PM
Your right, I'm concerned that the coffee drinking has to be very precise in order to avoid serious consequences. I don't know if I'll keep this up?:faint:

dvdnvwls
09-19-13, 05:28 PM
I read your "daily med regimen". Vyvanse plus Ativan plus coffee? That's some really complex and weird gymnastics to be putting your body through. Why not keep it simpler?

Hyperman87
09-20-13, 05:52 PM
I don't usually drink coffee or take in caffeine. Normally I try to avoid such a combination,however an opportunity presented itself.I figured maybe It would increase the consistency of the Vyvanse.In terms of keeping it simpler,well I could cut out the coffee.
LOL :)

dvdnvwls
09-21-13, 01:37 AM
I don't usually drink coffee or take in caffeine. Normally I try to avoid such a combination,however an opportunity presented itself.I figured maybe It would increase the consistency of the Vyvanse.In terms of keeping it simpler,well I could cut out the coffee.
LOL :)
Yeah, that was all I meant. Ativan and Vyvanse and coffee is like having two drivers in one car, both with their foot on the brake, both with their other foot on the gas, and one of them randomly playing with the clutch from time to time. Too much mess. Coffee isn't worth it.

AdamLL
09-26-13, 10:50 AM
You could also try doing a half decaf and half regular coffee or any combination you think might work well. I myself love good coffee so if it bothered me I would find a way lol.
One thing about good coffee is it also doesn't contain the the acids that you find in canned coffee. So if you have any stomach problems that is something to consider.