View Full Version : How do you get insurance to cover/chip in for neurofeedback?

Becky698
09-19-13, 04:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I am desperate to try neurofeedback but I can't afford it. I have heard that insurance usually does not cover it but I have heard of a few cases where it gives some reimbursement.

Does anyone know how I could get insurance to partially or fully reimburse me? Has anyone gotten reimbursed or know anyone who has been reimbursed for neurofeedback? I have blue cross blue shield insurance. Thanks in advance!

dvdnvwls
09-19-13, 05:02 PM
Just ask them if they cover it.

Unless you bought some very expensive insurance, expect them to just say "Sorry, no."

taber111
09-09-14, 03:01 PM
Try the insurance code 90875 or 90876.

Flory
09-09-14, 05:16 PM
I don't know how it works but over here at least because it's efficacy is yet to be fully proven it's not a recommended treatment/still considered experimental so near on impossible to actually get

namazu
09-09-14, 06:15 PM
I don't know how it works but over here at least because it's efficacy is yet to be fully proven it's not a recommended treatment/still considered experimental so near on impossible to actually get

This seems to be the Blue Cross / Blue Shield of Illinois' policy as well, at least as of last year. Here's the BCBS policy on Neurofeedback (http://www.medicalpolicy.hcsc.net/medicalpolicy/activePolicyPage?lid=ht6gjdji&corpEntCd=IL1).

In it, they have a long section covering the evidence / publications they used in making this decision. It's possible that additional studies, if larger and better controlled, could change this in the future. But for now, it's unlikely to be covered.

(On the plus side, it looks like they're considering making it easier to get coverage for psych / neuropsych testing, though... It's in their "pending policies" section. Here's the link for that info: http://www.medicalpolicy.hcsc.net/medicalpolicy/pendingPolicyPage?lid=hxa99wg9&corpEntCd=IL1)

Flory
09-09-14, 06:20 PM
There was also a bit of research somewhere that I read about 6 months back claiming it wasn't as effective in combined type or primarily hyperactive and impulsive types....I have been trying to find this to post here but no idea how to find it again

MoreBrowserTabs
09-12-14, 10:27 AM
I think meditation is the more sensible option.