View Full Version : Bipolar and Alexithymia

fracturedstory
09-21-13, 02:20 AM
I remember before I had any mood issues that I couldn't really understand why I was feeling certain emotions, so I began analyzing pretty much all of them and then I hardly experienced Alexithymia at all.

But recently I've found myself wondering why I am so depressed or anxious. I always need some sort of explanation for my emotions, even if it's just a bunch of science. Now all I can say is it's just my moods.

To me it seems like an common thing to happen to those with bipolar, especially the unmedicated or medicated-but-still-experiencing-some-of-the-symptoms.

Anyone else have no clue why they are suddenly upset, depressed, angry etc?

keliza
09-22-13, 08:57 PM
Several years of therapy have made me a hawk at spotting potential triggers for anxiety and depression, but there are still many, many times where I just throw my hands up in the air because for the life of me, I have no idea why I've suddenly tanked again, or shot up and fallen back to earth like a burnt-up bottle rocket. I attribute those to biology, plain and simple.

I'm a strong believer that all mental illness is a combination of biological and emotional/psychological factors... but sometimes the episodes themselves seem to be spurred by nothing more than faulty wiring. Maybe there's an external factor I haven't been able to figure out yet. Maybe my neurons periodically decide to go haywire. I really don't know.

fracturedstory
09-24-13, 12:09 AM
As I first started out with PMDD which is severe pms, that's like the symptoms of bipolar (more on the depressive side) and it usually only lasts a few weeks so I was able to notice that the certain things I got angered or depressed over would normally not bother me. I mean they'd be slightly irritating but I wouldn't blow up about them. So that's the way I view triggers. It's impatience and instant frustration with me.