View Full Version : Off my meds now

midnightstar
09-23-13, 09:39 AM
I've stopped taking my meds as from today because I don't get them free and because I'm not claiming benefits and can't work due to being in full time education I can't afford my meds any more so here we go lets see how I do without taking any meds at all - wish me luck :grouphug:

Amtram
09-23-13, 09:43 AM
Which meds, exactly? Antidepressants can be really, really nasty to discontinue abruptly. . .

Even if you get one refill, you can gradually break up the dose so you taper down. Most of the time, you split the dose in half for two weeks, then half that for another two weeks, with another two week taper if needed (or possible.)

midnightstar
09-23-13, 09:45 AM
Which meds, exactly? Antidepressants can be really, really nasty to discontinue abruptly. . .

Even if you get one refill, you can gradually break up the dose so you taper down. Most of the time, you split the dose in half for two weeks, then half that for another two weeks, with another two week taper if needed (or possible.)

Fluoxetine and Quietapine (sp)

And I lost my last box of fluoxetine :o

Fuzzy12
09-23-13, 09:57 AM
Star, why do you have to pay for your meds? You only should have to pay the prescription charge of 7.??

?

Amtram
09-23-13, 10:15 AM
So, Prozac and Seroquel, for anyone who doesn't know the generic names.

Prozac isn't that hard to get off of, but you still want to taper down.

Seroquel depends on the dose. If you're on a low dose, then you'll mostly just have trouble sleeping for a while. The higher the dose, the longer you'll want to take getting off of it.

Fuzzy knows the good and bad of the UK health system all too well. She can probably give you some good advice about negotiating your treatment.

midnightstar
09-23-13, 10:53 AM
I have to pay the prescription charge but it still counts as having to pay for the meds (in my book) for the two of them it's 15 :/

Fuzzy12
09-23-13, 11:18 AM
I have to pay the prescription charge but it still counts as having to pay for the meds (in my book) for the two of them it's 15 :/

If you are a full time student, you might be exempt from paying the prescription charge.

Check out this link as well. Even if you aren't on income support you might still be able to apply for an exemption for prescription charges:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/nhs-low-income-scheme.aspx

Raye
09-26-13, 11:21 AM
I've stopped taking my meds as from today because I don't get them free and because I'm not claiming benefits and can't work due to being in full time education I can't afford my meds any more so here we go lets see how I do without taking any meds at all - wish me luck :grouphug:

How are you feeling, Midnight, since posting this? :grouphug:

midnightstar
09-26-13, 11:23 AM
How are you feeling, Midnight, since posting this? :grouphug:

I'm back on the meds, got to figure out how I can afford them though ...

Raye <3 :grouphug: lovely to see you on my thread <3 :grouphug:

Raye
09-26-13, 11:31 AM
I hope you get it all worked out hun. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Lunacie
11-10-13, 07:13 PM
A random thought occurred to me this morning as I was refilling my weekly
pill minder and adding the new script of Sertraline - I read through the info
sheet that's included because it had been awhile and saw that increased
risk of suicide was possible, I remembered that, and that hallucinations are
also possible.

And something went "click" and I remembered that you are taking an SSRI
that might have the same side effects. Did you have hallucinations or
thoughts of suicide before you started taking the Fluoxetine and Quieta-
pine? Is there a possible connection that you should talk to the doctor about?