View Full Version : So far so good, hope I don't jinx it!

JenE
09-24-13, 01:37 PM
Has been a little while since school started so I thought I’d update on the new school. We had a pretty rough start as expected but he’s settled in now and really likes the school. There are only 16 students in his core class ranging from 6<SUP>th</SUP> grade to 9<SUP>th</SUP> grade. He has math and science with only 6<SUP>th</SUP> graders. He loves his teachers and says all the students are really nice.

We’ve had a couple of strong weeks now. I’m leaving him to go to work but I admit I’m coming back to the parking lot at lunch when he changes buildings. I was about ready to stop this practice as he had gotten to the point where he wasn’t looking for the car but of course, today, he did look. He realizes I don’t stay on campus all day but for some reason he thinks I just go on an errand and not to work. I work only 10 mins away so it’s easy to go and check on him or get him if he’s sick. I don’t understand why its ok for me to go on an errand but not go to work. Ah the child’s mind!
<O:p</O:p
He sees the psychologist tomorrow for the first time since school started and I’m sure he’ll work with him on being more independent. I know this may sound ridiculous (believe me, my coworkers don’t understand), but I am terrified to screw this up when he is doing so well. He had a good strong week early on and DH strongly encouraged him to let me go to work the next day. DS fell apart the next day and was as bad as the first day and that cascaded into about 3 bad days.
<O:p</O:p
We had one little blip last week but ended strong and started this week strong. Praying for continued success!!

dvdnvwls
09-24-13, 02:17 PM
Good to hear from you again, and glad things are working well so far (knocking on my head). ;)

Staying away at the building-change times might really be a good idea. When I feel mommy hovering, I have uncontrollable rebellion.

Lunacie
09-24-13, 05:14 PM
He sounds so fearful, maybe he's afraid that if you're at work you won't be able
to come and get him if he gets overwhelmed and needs to be rescued.

Anyway, sounds like a HUGE improvement over last year. So glad to hear he's
doing so much better. Bravo to you for advocating for a change in schools!

zette93
09-24-13, 06:53 PM
Fantastic progress! What a difference getting into a more suitable school environment makes! I wonder if the psychologist might have some suggestions for you to appear to "gradually" return to work...

Ms. Mango
09-24-13, 10:02 PM
Yay! I know it's frustrating, but he's made a lot of progress in a relatively short amount of time.

I agree with zette--maybe a therapeutic setting would be the ideal place to discuss what the timeframe for you transitioning back to f/t work should look like.

JenE
09-25-13, 08:59 AM
Thanks everyone! Yes, I plan to discuss this with his dr today so he can work with DS on it.

DS had one day last wk that he didn't feel well and they called me to come get him. I was, of course, at work! So it took about 10 mintues to get there. They told him I must've been running an errand and he was good with that. He had no issues the rest of the week. Thursday was early release and they had a modified schedule so I just went at the end of the day. He said he knew I had left because the car was gone but he was ok with that. BUT he still thought I was running errands. I've made a point of telling him that work is only 10 mins away so he can get that in his head.

Today will be telling because it is See You at the Pole and I won't be there. I talked to the Administrator yesterday and we agreed that seeing me might be a bad thing so I'm staying away. That's at 9:15 so we'll see!

tripleE
09-30-13, 10:08 AM
GREAT support for your son! So happy to hear he is doing so well.

With our anxious kids (I have one too) we do a lot of things that seem like spoiling, or counter-intuitive, but sometimes it's just what they need.

Very happy to hear things progressing so well. Fingers-crossed, no jinxies :)