View Full Version : Adderall XR & Zoloft ???

Tulip7171
09-25-13, 11:51 AM
I started taking Adderall XR (generic 30mg) about 4 weeks ago. It's helped but I realized that my social anxiety is probably holding me back more than the ADD at this point in my life.

I had been prescribed Zoloft in the past for the anxiety & it really helped. So I asked to be put back on it (generic 50mg).

Now I've been reading that taking stimulants & SSRIs can cause serotonin syndrome.

Neither my GP or the pharmacist mentioned interaction issues.

I guess my question is, has anyone else been prescribed both stimulants & SSRIs and were there any problems?

greenie77
11-25-13, 10:21 PM
There were not problems with Seratonin Syndrome. I do feel like Zoloft intensely affected my cognition, though, in a very bad way. I forgot the weirdest things, and things I would have remembered before. I walked around forgetting where I was going and doing things halfway. I could not really concentrate and my head itched intensely the whole time I was on it. I am still on it at a very low dose, because it is extremely addictive. I would avoid it if you can.

Now, I still can't remember what I did an hour ago. Adderall doesn't work enough to counter its powerful effects on my memory. ADHD+Zoloft is unbearable, because you don't have any memory to lose. Going off of it is very difficult to do, and I don't think you'll like the side effects.

jossefjossef
11-26-13, 01:05 PM
Hi. My doctor prescribed me Ritalin IR 10 mg with Faverin (luvox_ an ssri). But I red the same things you said ! But my psychatrist is among the best in my country ( i guess). And he said no problem. And P.S: in my country , i think there are only stimulant medications for ADHD . And what i read on some sites , that non stimulant meds like straterra with ssri should be fine and safer. But anyway , talk sincerly with your doctor ,and see him always. And ask him everything u want. Best wishes. And plz let us know if u know more.

queenbee89
12-28-13, 04:29 PM
I have been on both for a couple of years (a low dose of zoloft 75mg) and i have to agree that it greatly affects your cognition. My memory SUCKS. I often forget where im going/what i was doing/ and never remember a thing my husband tells me (which he hates)

I have been trying different add med alternatives in hopes of getting it back under control *when i was on quick release adderall i noticed less of a problem**

I do work in a pharmacy, and honestly this drug combo is VERY common. Its ability to cause serotonin syndrome is low- more often seen with people who are prescribed SNRI's or SSRI's with a history of such things. In regards to SSRI's zoloft is considered the lowest for complications/side effects

Modafinilguy
01-07-14, 12:14 AM
Zoloft has the strongest SSRI but still weak dopamine reuptake effect. It slightly increases dopamine, which will be slightly additive with the stimulant.

Serotonin syndrome- absolutely not, and certainly not from such a tiny dose.

However only some Serotonin receptors produce positive effects when agonized by increased serotonin. Some of the receptors have NEGATIVE effects on various things such as cognition. It depends really on the individual distribution of serotonin receptors you have in your brain.

Especially during the first couple of weeks of therapy with an SSRI like Zoloft, moodiness and anxiety symptoms are possible. If these occur, they would likely be additive to any such effects from the stimulants, especially anxiety. However, in general such effects, especially from a 50mg dose are likely to be mild.

I have had serious anxiety problems at various stages of my life, never found SSRI antidepressants have helped me in ANY way, but everyone is different.

Tulip7171
01-07-14, 10:35 AM
Oops... I forgot about this thread. :doh: :giggle:

My Adderall xr has been reduced to 20mg & the Zoloft is up to 100mg.

There were not problems with Seratonin Syndrome. I do feel like Zoloft intensely affected my cognition, though, in a very bad way. I forgot the weirdest things, and things I would have remembered before. I walked around forgetting where I was going and doing things halfway. I could not really concentrate and my head itched intensely the whole time I was on it.

i have to agree that it greatly affects your cognition. My memory SUCKS. I often forget where im going/what i was doing/

I haven't noticed any issues with cognition or memory, at least not any new ones & not when I take the Adderall. The zoloft has helped with the anxiety but not as well as when I took it before; I think the Adderall tweaks the anxiety a bit.

Zoloft has the strongest SSRI but still weak dopamine reuptake effect. It slightly increases dopamine, which will be slightly additive with the stimulant.

Serotonin syndrome- absolutely not, and certainly not from such a tiny dose.

However only some Serotonin receptors produce positive effects when agonized by increased serotonin. Some of the receptors have NEGATIVE effects on various things such as cognition. It depends really on the individual distribution of serotonin receptors you have in your brain.

Especially during the first couple of weeks of therapy with an SSRI like Zoloft, moodiness and anxiety symptoms are possible. If these occur, they would likely be additive to any such effects from the stimulants, especially anxiety. However, in general such effects, especially from a 50mg dose are likely to be mild.

I have had serious anxiety problems at various stages of my life, never found SSRI antidepressants have helped me in ANY way, but everyone is different.

Thanks. I did talk to the pharmacist not long after starting this thread, she didn't see any problem with the dosages & did mention it's a common combo.

I am planning on talking to my GP about it when I see him next, but I have to zero out my balance before they'll make another appointment, so I'm not sure when that will be. I'm sure he'll want to see me again when I request another Adderall script.