View Full Version : Feel like I want to try drugs

Sutaihei
09-26-13, 02:40 AM
I was diagnosed with ADHD about 4 years ago and have been taking Adderall for about 8 months off and on. I works well, but money and insurance limit it.

Some things I have noticed though. For almost as long as I can remember, I've wanted something to be wrong with me. If I would have a few "symptoms" of something, I'd want myself to have it. This was especially true with psychological disorders. No idea.

And more recently, I've had an urge to try drugs, like weed and e. I even bought my first pack of cigarettes a few weeks ago now that I'm unsupervised at college. I've only smoked two, but every once in a while, I'll get the urge to have a cigarette. It's not like I need one, it's just that I want one. I've also made plans with my cousin to get high with him when I return for winter break.

Could it be the Adderall making me have these urges? My insurance is expired right now, and I don't have $200 a month, so I'll probably have to stop taking it soon anyway, unfortunately. I also think back to me wanting things to be wrong with me and maybe that plays a role.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

dvdnvwls
09-26-13, 03:05 AM
Hi - welcome to the forum.

No, Adderall doesn't give you thoughts or urges. It can magnify your own thoughts and urges a little bit, but it can't give you any new ones.

I wonder why you wanted there to be "something wrong with you". I had un-diagnosed ADHD until after the age of 40, but I knew for a long time before that "something was wrong with me". Maybe you had the same feeling, and you felt kind of weird about that, and wanted some official confirmation of "Yes there really is something wrong, you're not crazy"?

Having ADHD is not pleasant. People want to fix it. If they can't get something that really fixes the problem, they will try all kinds of things that don't work, just because they really need relief or help or whatever and they're desperate. Some people get drunk, some become "caffeine junkies", some people over-eat, some take various drugs, others go into thrill-seeking activities, etc etc. This desperate method of trying things, secretly hoping they will cure the ADHD, is often called "self-medication". It never works, everybody knows that, but people secretly keep hoping that it will work.

Daydreamin22
09-26-13, 03:02 PM
Go see a psychiatrist and tell him exactly what you told us. You described it so well that I think you wouldn't have a problem getting an opinion.

It sounds like it's bothering you, so figure it out before youre in too deep. I don't do hard drugs, and have smoked a handful of times.

It sounds like you want attention, which means you probably need it.

This is a weird question, but why aren't you scarred about extacy? I heard it can do life changing damage, making holes in brain when done each time. I'm just curious, if you or anyone else knows anything about that, is all. Also making sure you are aware, I guess. I never experienced the urge to try drugs. But, definitely would pretend to be sick and walk around pretending to be scared and sad. now looking back I was both ligitmately. This was in second grade and we all ligitimately believed I was just faking it, including myself, but turns out i had anxiety adhd and bipolar.

Greyhound1
09-26-13, 03:55 PM
I was diagnosed with ADHD about 4 years ago and have been taking Adderall for about 8 months off and on. I works well, but money and insurance limit it.

Some things I have noticed though. For almost as long as I can remember, I've wanted something to be wrong with me. If I would have a few "symptoms" of something, I'd want myself to have it. This was especially true with psychological disorders. No idea.

And more recently, I've had an urge to try drugs, like weed and e. I even bought my first pack of cigarettes a few weeks ago now that I'm unsupervised at college. I've only smoked two, but every once in a while, I'll get the urge to have a cigarette. It's not like I need one, it's just that I want one. I've also made plans with my cousin to get high with him when I return for winter break.

Could it be the Adderall making me have these urges? My insurance is expired right now, and I don't have $200 a month, so I'll probably have to stop taking it soon anyway, unfortunately. I also think back to me wanting things to be wrong with me and maybe that plays a role.

It sounds like self medicating behavior like DVD mentioned. Your mind got a taste of relief from the adderall. Now it is seeking other forms of stimulation because you can't maintain a consistent treatment.

Please be careful with self medicating. Many, many people with ADHD have issues with addiction from self medicating. Most become addicted prior to being diagnosed and treated for ADHD. Seeking relief from a racing mind of chaos is usually the underlying factor.

TygerSan
09-26-13, 04:05 PM
Fwiw, the ecstasy hole in the brain thing was based on faulty evidence, and actually involved a study where the researchers accidentally used methamphetamine instead of ecstasy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retracted_article_on_dopaminergic_neurotoxicity_of _MDMA

Not saying that doing either drug recreationally is a good idea, but that sometimes even scientists screw up.

midnightstar
09-26-13, 04:05 PM
Please don't self medicate, have you talked to a psych? Maybe the psych can help you? :grouphug:

dvdnvwls
09-26-13, 04:14 PM
Firstly, self-medication really never works.

But beyond that, some methods of self-medication can cause major problems. Getting a caffeine habit doesn't fix your ADHD, but also usually doesn't injure you in any serious ways. With some of the other things, people can get very messed up, very quickly.

Sutaihei
09-27-13, 10:47 PM
OK, guys. I honestly don't think it's me wanting to self-medicate. The Adderall really does help, just today I took it after a hiatus so I could write my paper, and it really gave me the kick in the rear I needed.

It's just I want to try them. Not to help me. I just want to. I know it won't be fun, it's just I want to try stuff.

Like when I see people doing drugs on TV or in real life, I want to do them too. I know it's bad for me. Just like I tried cigarettes even though I know they're bad.

Now that I'm thinking about it a bit, maybe it's the impulsiveness? Just wanting to do stuff regardless of the consequences.

Modafinilguy
09-29-13, 09:21 AM
You said that your unsupervised for the first time? It sounds like a bit of a rebellion and taking advantage of your new found "freedom".

Experimenting a little with cigarettes or even wanting to try Marijuana is hardly abnormal at all.

However in the case of cigarettes- they are extremely addictive. You'd do yourself a favor by stopping playing with them, experimenting with them can easily lead to addiction.

sampson
09-29-13, 02:59 PM
a lot of people around late teens early twenties experiment with drugs.

the only thing i would say is don't abuse adderall in any way. i tried snorting ritalin and taking more then i was supposed to, and now it doesn't work for me anymore.

btw, the affordable care act goes into effect this october, so i think you can get adderall again.

dvdnvwls
09-30-13, 01:43 AM
Now that I'm thinking about it a bit, maybe it's the impulsiveness? Just wanting to do stuff regardless of the consequences.
Impulsive stuff that you plan several months ahead for is a hilarious idea. :D

I didn't experiment with any drugs in my teens. I didn't even try out alcohol till I was in my 20s, and haven't tried anything else at all. Maybe it's just as well I was too scared and waited... I wouldn't have counted on me to be smart.

When experimenting with drugs it's really easy to do something stupid. When having ADHD it's double easy to do something stupid. There is legitimate experimentation and there is stupid experimentation. Be smart.

BellaVita
09-30-13, 02:08 AM
Impulsive stuff that you plan several months ahead for is a hilarious idea. :D

I didn't experiment with any drugs in my teens. I didn't even try out alcohol till I was in my 20s, and haven't tried anything else at all. Maybe it's just as well I was too scared and waited... I wouldn't have counted on me to be smart.

When experimenting with drugs it's really easy to do something stupid. When having ADHD it's double easy to do something stupid. There is legitimate experimentation and there is stupid experimentation. Be smart.

Sex is a good other option.

dvdnvwls
09-30-13, 02:41 AM
Every thing that attracts people to experiment with it has its problems. I guess that's partly why we have the guarded attitudes we do, to some of those things. All of them allow people to make huge mistakes very quickly.

BellaVita
09-30-13, 03:08 AM
Every thing that attracts people to experiment with it has its problems. I guess that's partly why we have the guarded attitudes we do, to some of those things. All of them allow people to make huge mistakes very quickly.

That is true.

Exercise? :)

Music?

Meditation?

As my Grandma says whenever she gives us a glass of juice during a meal, "take little sips."

dvdnvwls
09-30-13, 03:38 AM
That is true.

Exercise? :)

Music?

Meditation?

As my Grandma says whenever she gives us a glass of juice during a meal, "take little sips."
I've never heard of people having a guarded attitude to music and experimenting with music as teenagers. :) I don't think it's possible to get too much music. Unless it's terrible music like some of the randomized classical music of the 1960's, or silly young pop singers from Utah. :)

Exercise - Once in a while, people get exercise crazy and hurt themselves from over-exertion or similar things. No danger of that for me. :)

Meditation - some people are (truly, literally) driven crazy when they work hard at meditation without having someone good to guide them through it. But it's certainly not on the same level of personal danger as back-country extreme snowboarding, heroin, or Archuleta. ;)

BellaVita
09-30-13, 05:57 AM
I've never heard of people having a guarded attitude to music and experimenting with music as teenagers. :) I don't think it's possible to get too much music. Unless it's terrible music like some of the randomized classical music of the 1960's, or silly young pop singers from Utah. :)

Exercise - Once in a while, people get exercise crazy and hurt themselves from over-exertion or similar things. No danger of that for me. :)

Meditation - some people are (truly, literally) driven crazy when they work hard at meditation without having someone good to guide them through it. But it's certainly not on the same level of personal danger as back-country extreme snowboarding, heroin, or Archuleta. ;)

Nice break-down of things, nice Archuleta references. ;) He's getting in your head, isn't he?

So, out of those, exercise seems the safest...o_O

drdistracto
09-30-13, 10:02 AM

If you can't afford your medications, there are patient assistance programs available to either give you discounts or free meds. You can check with your state first, and then you can check with the manufacturer of Adderall (I think it's Shire, but if that's not right, someone please correct me). If you're a full time student, you probably meet the income requirements for those programs.

I agree with the other poster who said you are looking for a substitute drug because you miss the improvements you have on adderall. ADDers are known to have more problems with addiction to nicotine and other drugs. So look into those assistance programs right away and don't smoke any more cigarettes!

Spartan_Worrier
10-02-13, 10:04 AM
I've had some amazing times on drugs and some horrible horrible times. Some people can dabble in drugs and not bother with them any more, others can't.

One thing i will tell you though that as soon as you TRY drugs you've opened a door that can't be closed. You've done drugs and you're at risk of doing them again. I'm not going to say drugs are awful don't do them, but know what the risks of addiction are and the health risks. If you have an addictive or obsessive personslity you are at greater risk of becoming an addict rather than a casual user.

A life on drugs, including booze, means a life of ups and downs, highs and lows. What you're sacrificing is stability of emotion and steady joy. Drugs can mean more excitement, but staying off them means a more peaceful, stable life.

ssteve6
10-07-13, 11:38 AM
I had the same rebellion urge when I was a teen and started smoking cigarettes. I knew they were bad but wanted them anyway. after a few years I was able to get away from them but I wasn't so lucky with the other drugs I tried.
Being young and experimenting is a part of life. Making mistakes is how you learn.

But my advice is to not do it. Addiction affects everyone differently and once the cons outweigh the pros you may find it extremely difficult to stop.

Sunshine00
10-16-13, 01:50 PM

Take my advice given the fact I've been an addict (active addict) for 16 years. I can say that the Adderall in no way would trigger your "feeling like you want to try drugs." It 'may' be that you have an addictive personality...like me! I would take up to 60 vicodins daily and all 60 as a single dose. I'd take any opiate I could get several different doctors to prescribe to me. In the beginning...I'd get very hyper with energy,and I would stay awake into the early morning hours. But, that didn't last for long. I started to get to the point where I would isolate myself in my bedroom and not shower for a week,maybe longer. I started to get depressed,suicidal,and even tried to kill myself,especially when I was starting to run out of my opiate pain killers. I even got to the point to where I'd start taking over the counter medications,such as several Tylenol as well as Ibuprofen just to get some kind of buzz from it. It finally got to the point to where my insurance got restricted and I was only able to see 1 doctor,and go to only 1 pharmacy.This restriction lasted for 5 years due to the fact that I would doctor and pharmacy shop. I'd even go to an emergency room just to get a high,and this happened several times. I have been clean since the end of November,2008,and I thank my insurance for restricting me. That....saved me life. With all of that said? I can only hope and pray that you too don't fall victim to addiction. It is not worth it,and it may very well cost you your life. You're now in college....so don't allow either illicit or prescription drugs ruin the goals you've already set for yourself. You're an intelligent individual....keep it that way! If you do not? Trust me when I say this to you....you will eventually drop out of college,and you will eventually find you a career of drug use,and end up with absolutely nothing....even maybe no one. I hope this helps you make the right decision.....just say no!! When someone...say,a so-called friend starts to pressure you into doing any drug? Don't allow anyone to deter you from your goals. Stay on track of your plans and goals. Take care.

iCareForYouAll
10-21-13, 08:59 PM

With a condom, yes.

indoadhd
10-27-13, 05:30 PM
I've been addicted to ecstasy in the past decade, at the beginnings it somewhat helps me to be more relaxed and sociable until finally I quit from being a regular weekender to only once a year. Luckily ecstasy gets boring once the magic starts to diminished, plus market full of bad batch, that's what stops my addiction.

I've tried many substance as a teen, not once I get addicted until I tried E. Smoking weed makes me a zombie and never liked it. Never enjoys heroin or coke, it makes me Dizzy and nervous. LSD and hallucinogens makes me paranoid.

I suggest research before trying. In my case, adhd will give you the urges to be an addict big time. I hope you can differentiates the "good drug" from the bad one. Most of my friend who got addicted to heroin are now dead. .

Best answer is avoid drugs, but if you really want to try, avoid physically addictive one. I found it's more easier to stop the psychological addictive one. I never had adderal so is cannot answers the question.