View Full Version : Would you be interested in participating local/national association?

mildadhd
09-27-13, 09:47 AM
I have been inspired by SarahSweets thread,

"will more awareness of mental illness prevent tragedies...?" (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1543318#post1543318)

I am curious...(no concrete plans, I would like to know if other people with mental health issues would be interested in exploring the topics more?)

Would you be interested in participating/membership in a local/national association with other people with mental health issues?

I am interested in knowing more about what is being done already on local and/or national stage specifically "run" by people with mental health issues?

Also is anybody involved in any local or national associations, (groups like CHADD or CADDRA, etc)

All insight is appreciated.

Peripheral

Nicksgonefishin
09-27-13, 01:06 PM
Would you be interested in participating/membership in a local/national association with other people with mental health issues?

Peripheral

I would be interested but then again there is also the stigma of mental health issues. I don't have a mental health issue. I have a Behavior disorder(see what i did there). I haven't quite deep enough in acceptance yet to go super public. There have been arguments for and against this before. Its my belief that education to prevent late diagnosis in the future is key. I'm talking about educating our educators and health care providers more. A group to teach the general public might come off as attention seeking. In my progression I've come to the point where i realize that my Add is just that MY ADD. I believe that if I achieve the functional level I want to, in controlling my ADD, nobody else will notice. That is what i've wanted my whole life is that invisibility.

Now that I've gone off on that tangent and now realize that your talking about something just for adders I'd join. Something that I can send a check off to once a year like the NRA but not have to wear a t-shirt that says "Its my right to be ADD". And the money went to teaching awareness to catch it sooner so just one kid never has to say "I wish i had the last 20 years of my life back". I'd be all for that.

Also I log on here because i live out in the sticks and there are no local ADD groups.

I'd also probably procrastinate sending the check... it would have to be an online system for payments. writing a check and then getting an envelope then getting stamps and actually going to the post office is a huge task!

(see how i completely contradicted myself...)

mildadhd
09-27-13, 09:48 PM
..."(see how i completely contradicted myself...)" -Nicksgonefishin

NicksGoneFishin,

Nothing is concrete in this discussion. :D

I sure appreciate your insight.

Lots of things I never thought about.

Great points, memberships definitely would need to be free.

thanks

Peripherals

Rebelyell
09-27-13, 10:18 PM
Yes ive been looking for a group of like minded adult individuals by me but nothing exists around here.i know there is still a bigtime stigma an the ignorance n arrogance of people runs deep but screw them, thats there problem if they aren't compassionate or intelligent enough to understand us.

BellaVita
09-27-13, 11:58 PM
Yes I'd be interested.

someothertime
09-28-13, 02:48 AM
We have a group down here called beyond blue... It's aimed at depression but may be worth a look at their model as they've been pretty visible and effective in getting their message across.

I feel that this is due to corporate veterans with a passion for the cause and government backing / support.

Rebelyell
09-28-13, 03:02 AM
It would be nice to have a support system as right now I have no one to support me or help me w this stuff.im not talking bout financial stuff either.

mildadhd
09-28-13, 11:38 AM
So far I went to 1 ADD meeting in 7 years.

Amazingly, it was one of the best times of my life.

Once or twice I have remembered, but wasn't prepared or the capacity, to make it to the evening meetings

At the meeting, was in amazement of Vancouver ADD Coach Peter Quily (who also has ADD) could even attempt putting on the meetings every month.

The people (approx 20), seemed to mostly be in the first "epiphany" stage of learning after being diagnosed, although some people had mentioned they had been diagnosed for at least a few years.

It was so amazing to see the 20 people, interrupt all at the same time, then, not all talk, when the time would have been more NT appropriate.

After the meeting I ended up talking to 3 elderly ADDers in the parking lot for at least an hour.

Then went to coffee with one of the elders after that for at least another 2 hours.

I am hoping to make it to the local ADD monthly meeting, on the first Tuesday of the month.

But nothing is concrete.

If the statistics are correct, approx 5 to 10% of the total population are ADDers?

If there is a million people where I live, then there is approximately 50 000 to 100 000 ADDers?

And only 20 made it to the ADD meeting?

Does this make sense, insight appreciated?

Peripherals

dresser
09-28-13, 12:52 PM
I'm with Nick, the message has to be directed to/at, the so called educators and care givers. the medical profession, the media, and tobacco company's as a co-op made millions working hand IN glove promoting smoking. Until one C.E.O of a tobacco company
blew the whistle and lifted the lid off all the cover ups. Now some doctors refuse treatment to people who smoke, yet they were the ones who signed off on the tobacco
company's claims that smoking had NO ill effects on the human body/mind. In my life time, say up to 40 years ago the Red Cross was in a quandary, what to do with 50 million
dollars worth of blood, because some of it was contaminated with aids,(and that's the way it was described) destroy the blood or use it???? DHuuu yep you is correct, they
put it out there to be used. I'm trying to show certain society's M.O. just lately, there has been T.V. talks about and against the medical professions(doctors) aloofness, not listening, and in general it attitude towards it patients. and that the patient has to stand up to these doctors. For a time I was P.R. Officer for A.A. the schools and R.C.M.P. would ask us to talk to the students, as to what happened, what it was like and what it's like now. when I spoke I would I never EXCLUDED the teacher, R.C.M.P. or the staff, because most of them appeared to think they were above it all, and arnt I/we brilliant for categorizing youz and your problems, where is that news paper man? is my hair O.K. OO look my boss is smiling. lots of people see other folk's plight, dilemmas, tragedy's, Ill health, as their opportunity for 15 minute of fame PERIOED, oo forgot the money aspect.
there is a saying in A.A.. it goes= {when ever, anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help I want the hand of A.A. to be there. and for that "I am" responsible.} I would join a group.
what ADDer wouldn't after living all those years in isolation???lololol sorry for the long yak
don't have the words so build a picture to discribe my point

Rebelyell
09-28-13, 01:04 PM
Thats appalling to read dresser even tho its true.Back in 04 to say thru 07 In my church they had OIC, it was great but the man running it got caught making out w one of the parishioners in the church building by the pastor and he got fired and kicked out.Im tired so very tired of living in isolation shame guilt and having no one to relate to or relate to me.

mildadhd
09-29-13, 10:59 AM
E-mo-tion-ni-tion

Peripherals

mildadhd
09-29-13, 11:30 AM
Thats appalling to read dresser even tho its true.Back in 04 to say thru 07 In my church they had OIC, it was great but the man running it got caught making out w one of the parishioners in the church building by the pastor and he got fired and kicked out.Im tired so very tired of living in isolation shame guilt and having no one to relate to or relate to me.

Rebelyell,

I am learning lots and really appreciate your perspectives.

Good idea to compare to what has already been attempted, really helps.

I can relate, to a lack of relating relationships.

I don't have the words, but one day at a time, I think we are all to something.

Thanks

Peripherals

mildadhd
09-29-13, 11:36 AM
I'm with Nick, the message has to be directed to/at, the so called educators and care givers. the medical profession, the media, and tobacco company's as a co-op made millions working hand IN glove promoting smoking. Until one C.E.O of a tobacco company
blew the whistle and lifted the lid off all the cover ups. Now some doctors refuse treatment to people who smoke, yet they were the ones who signed off on the tobacco
company's claims that smoking had NO ill effects on the human body/mind. In my life time, say up to 40 years ago the Red Cross was in a quandary, what to do with 50 million
dollars worth of blood, because some of it was contaminated with aids,(and that's the way it was described) destroy the blood or use it???? DHuuu yep you is correct, they
put it out there to be used. I'm trying to show certain society's M.O. just lately, there has been T.V. talks about and against the medical professions(doctors) aloofness, not listening, and in general it attitude towards it patients. and that the patient has to stand up to these doctors. For a time I was P.R. Officer for A.A. the schools and R.C.M.P. would ask us to talk to the students, as to what happened, what it was like and what it's like now. when I spoke I would I never EXCLUDED the teacher, R.C.M.P. or the staff, because most of them appeared to think they were above it all, and arnt I/we brilliant for categorizing youz and your problems, where is that news paper man? is my hair O.K. OO look my boss is smiling. lots of people see other folk's plight, dilemmas, tragedy's, Ill health, as their opportunity for 15 minute of fame PERIOED, oo forgot the money aspect.
there is a saying in A.A.. it goes= {when ever, anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help I want the hand of A.A. to be there. and for that "I am" responsible.} I would join a group.
what ADDer wouldn't after living all those years in isolation???lololol sorry for the long yak
don't have the words so build a picture to discribe my point

Dresser

Thanks for the hand, powerful stuff, helps tremendously.

Highly Salubrious

Peripherals

dresser
09-29-13, 05:50 PM
Perifheral!! I hope there is nothing smelly in that Highly Salubrious stuff you threw at me.
I have a head cold and Im not sure if your telling me its catchy, smelly, or what is draining. all that stayed in my head of what you said to me was: FOR THE HAND,--POWERFULL STUFF,
HELPS TREMENDOUSLY,--HIGHLY SALUBRIOUS. not yelling could not get the different alphabet letter thingy to work. Me is old school remember?? rock+chisel+hammer = letter
yea!! oops forgot. mailing costs, yes me is trying to create before demonstrations, results,
and fallouts in order to push them into a corner and having to work differently. remove their ye buts, connect them to their higher ups and their higher up to their higher ups in order to get the public involved. and majority ask for resignations, charges, what ever and have us decide and not their old boys club, describe them, their motive and actions etc. as the y describe us OOOOO your from? you belong to this faction or that faction THEY have given us all the words and THEY still use them repeatedly. we can show the how and where they are in many cases worse than us. YES I agree we must do it in such a way the they receive no inkling until they are flat on their back and asking what happened. lets look at reasons and methods used by the med profession in the past. there past shows them as a questionable society, very questionable. all the way back to the doctor having a bone through the NOSE,
now they have a degree on the wall(less painful). the Hippocratic used to be and was designed(I believe) to be a blanket of integrity, security, and compulsory guide that protected the patient. that has changed the patient now is the corporation-company-
organization etc. that is paying the doctors bill not the person that is ill, sick crippled,
N so on was it Socrates that started the med profession and had an influence in the writing of the Hippocratic Oath or wrote the whole thing? because he Socrates must have wrote
it on a bolt of materiel because the modern day med people have put their cutting and sewing skills to making suits for them selves from the trimming of the original Hippocratic Oath . they co signed the tobacco industry and never gave an answer or did they and who accepted it not the guy on oxygen and other ailments

mildadhd
09-29-13, 08:44 PM
Dresser,

Smells good to me.

I need to learn more how AA "works".

The thought of having someone "their" to relate to, seems powerful.

Loss of words at the moment.

Lots to discuss.

Much appreciated.

Peripherals

mildadhd
09-29-13, 09:13 PM
We have a group down here called beyond blue... It's aimed at depression but may be worth a look at their model as they've been pretty visible and effective in getting their message across.

I feel that this is due to corporate veterans with a passion for the cause and government backing / support.

Someothertime,

Very helpful interesting model to compare.

Thanks a million.

Lots to learn more about.

I am curious to know more.

I have about a years worth of things to review/learn, already, in this thread.

Awesome!

I hope we all discuss lots more in the future.

Peripherals

think.pink
05-16-14, 03:42 AM
I am pretty sure I would like to participate in something like that, but not close to where I live if it involves a meeting, simply bc I'll well known locally as a G list almost-celebrity and looked down on for my previous employment in adult entertainment. I'm afraid if I attend, besides people ridiculing and talking about me even more than they do now, it may give the whole group a bad name based on what people 'think' they know and what they do in fact know about me, which may scare some out of attending bc they don't want to be associated with me or 'someone like me' (lol, whatever! they aren't perfect either!).

Locally, my involvement would only hurt the association, but several towns over, I'd go bc chances are I wouldn't be recognized. I am positive I'd be questioned and dismissed by my current healthcare job if they ever found out about my 'adult' history, diagnosis of add, and my meds. I'd be given a talk about what image that gives them as a company, and they'd fire me because I did paperwork incorrectly or something silly like that to cover their butt legally.

I'm positive many other people who also cannot go to an association meeting locally near people they know or work with because of the same reason of being ridiculed and possibly risking their job bc the boss just doesn't understand it and dislikes the image it gives them to have 'that' kind of lazy/incompetent/mentally ill/insert other stupid thing they say employee working for them. I think that's the biggest problem.

I'm confident and am not ashamed to have add, but the problem is that most people don't look beneath the surface and automatically categorize you. Some people cannot afford that negative reputation in their personal or professional life. Again, it all boils down to awareness and education, and how you say it more than the content you say.

think.pink
05-16-14, 04:04 AM
I wasn't trying to brag or complain by the mention of my previous employment, I said that because it definitely is a factor. There are some others who have had or currently have jobs where they are well known, such as real estate agents who have their name and picture everywhere in town and even in some other counties on billboards or magazines or park benches or bus or bus stop window. There's others I can think of bc you never know who has it; bail bondsmen (or women) who are known from their business advertisement, county commissioners or someone else who may be involved in politics and or decision making somehow and known, etc. I bet a lot of people wouldn't take them seriously if they found out. The other party's slogan would be 'don't vote for add, vote for me' or something else putting them down because of it. Granted, some people are going to pick on others no matter what, especially in politics, but that would be a big point that so many people would pick at and not research further. And no, I am not talking about politics, I'm just giving an example which includes it bc it shows how it could be used to drag someone's name through the mud and affect them negatively in a serious way. If the fire department found out one of their guys had add or any other mental health issue, even if it were being handled appropriately through their doctor, would they judge or dismiss from employment or think he/she was a liability bc of their 'mental condition'? These are just many examples to think about. Public Notary, Bank employee, I can keep thinking of other examples where someone may be well known and possibly hurt from getting support in an association or group.

I'm not trying to be negative, but the stigma, that is something which may need an answer, or to be overcome somehow when advertising the association and/or meetings.