View Full Version : Caffeine and ADD - part 2

guffman
09-27-13, 12:59 PM
I have been off caffeine for around 3 weeks now, and I can't believe I didn't do this before. I have inattentive, low energy ADD, and I thought I needed caffeine all these years to get the energy I needed. Turns out that was incorrect.

My job is going much better, and my memory has also gotten better. I am much more patient sitting down and trying to figure out problems instead of getting hyper and impatient and asking others to do my thinking for me. My energy level is fairly good, and I don't have that mid afternoon crash I used to get from Pepsi/coffee.

I know caffeine can stimulate the brains of other types of ADD'ers, but if you have the same type as I do, I encourage you to quit the caffeine and see what kind of difference it makes. Be patient and don't go by just 1 or 2 days evidence. I still have ADD (lost my girlfriend's debit card the other day), but my symptoms are MUCH less pronounced.

I understand if you love coffee, but switch to decaf. Same thing with soda. I love Pepsi, but I'll gladly switch to decaf if it means I can have a more normal, less confused life.

Daydreamin22
09-28-13, 02:19 PM
Sounds like you are sensitive to caffeine like I used to be. I never noticed the effects it had on me at all.

Thank you so much for getting on here to make others aware. It is good to at least plant a seed that this might be happening to tothers as well.

I have average/low energy, also add inattentive. Adderall makes me have average/high energy. (effortlessly of course.)

I have inattentive adhd, bipolar ii, and anxiety disorder. I know caffeine and stimulants don't mix. I'm hooked for now on one caffeinated drin a day. I know i'll eventually have to break the habbit. More sound life is definitely valuable.

DichotOhMy
09-28-13, 07:32 PM
I'm in the same boat and working on cutting caffeine out of my lifestyle - hopefully for good. I have to admit I'll miss it as I really like the taste of a good loose-leaf green or black tea, or freshly ground lightly-roasted coffee.

Unfortantely, caffeine just doesn't do it for me when it comes to soothing ADHD symptoms. I'm one of those people who do notice a mild increase in attention, concentration ability, and decrease in distractibility, but these good effects consistently only last for about two hours before I slide back to baseline. The problem is that once back to baseline, the negative effects, as I consider them, of caffeine are all that's left: heart-rate increase, blood pressure increase, agitation, artificial wakefulness, etc. A target amount of caffeine does help with hyperactive symptoms, but too much caffeine actually increases ADHD symptoms for me - it's as if caffeine works like a bell-shaped curve so to speak.

I'm tapered down to perhaps 40-50 mg of caffeine per day right now, and the withdrawl effects of headaches and lightheadness have passed. I'm at the point where I have no problem with wakefulness and energy from not drinking caffiene in the day, and am only drinking it for a little evening exercise pick-me-up and relaxation-type beverage that I enjoy the taste of.

patryk
10-08-13, 06:02 PM
I recently started to experiment with butter in coffee. It's based on the ideas of "The Bulletproof Executive"... sounds gross at first, but when you break it down, it isn't.

Butter has short and medium chain fatty acids, which promote good health. One of which, Buterol, is an antioxidant that effects the brain and is associated with feelings of good well being, mental relaxation, and improved cognition. Butter is also not unhealthy, unless you're eating it with high amounts of sugar and carbs. Saturated fats are essential for proper hormone production.

When combined with the coffee, it makes you feel nice and clear headed, and actually gives the caffeine a slow release effect, since fat takes long to digest. No jotters or crash, just smooth energy for hours on end. Amazing what effects it has on my ADHD.

The recipe is simple:

1. Brew coffee
2. Put it in blender with a tbsp of butter AND / OR coconut oil.
3. Enjoy your frothy beverage. It tastes amazing, with no additives.

I'd also like to note that a high carb breakfast combined with caffeine can really screw you up. Carbs release insulin, and insulin is associated with feelings of lethargy / sleepiness and slow cognition. Ever get tired after a big meal? That's why. Having carbs for breakfast can actually harm you in the long run. Whereas, having them at night induces sleep and releases growth hormone during sleep. That pseudoscience that claims carbs before bed is bad, is absolutely wrong.

SocialGadfly
10-10-13, 11:20 AM
I've been using caffeine for several years in low dosages in the form of Walmart's energy drink packs.
I've found that having a low dose of caffeine which I'm consuming throughout the day helps fill in the trough between my Adderall uptake at mid-day.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Nachons
10-10-13, 10:46 PM
I used to have caffeine all the time before I was diagnosed. Without the medications it seemed to help me stay on top of things during the day. Now it just makes me jittery and agitated if I even have a little besides first thing in the morning.

Caffeine is pretty crappy though... too bad they put it/it's naturally present in all my favorite drinks!