View Full Version : Lentil soup

Digitl
03-02-05, 11:47 AM
Lentil soup

1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion size depends on your taste of it...
2 carrots diced
2 celery diced
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon oregano
1 bay leaf
1 28 oz crushed tomatoes
2 cups red or pink lentil depends how you call them LOL
8 cups of water
1/2 cup of spinash i put half the bag .. WE love spinash here :D
2 tablespoon of vinager
Salt and pepper to taste.

Heat oil in a big soup pot and cook all veggies for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rest except for the vinager and spinash. Cook 1 hour, Add the spinash and the vinager and cook another 5 minutes. YOu can add more veggies i do...depends how you like them..

Et Voila an excellent lentil soup....Enjoy!

mustFocus
03-05-05, 11:53 PM
Sounds good! I made some lentil soup just the other day. My 6 and 3 year olds wouldn't touch it but my 9 month old couldn't get enough (the resulting diaper change was pretty rough, though) :eek:

Whenever I make a beany sort of soup, I toast some cumin seeds in the oil before adding the veggies. It doesn't add a big cumin-y flavor but it's a nice little surprise when you crunch one.

Digitl
03-08-05, 10:45 AM
Sounds good! I made some lentil soup just the other day. My 6 and 3 year olds wouldn't touch it but my 9 month old couldn't get enough (the resulting diaper change was pretty rough, though) :eek:

Whenever I make a beany sort of soup, I toast some cumin seeds in the oil before adding the veggies. It doesn't add a big cumin-y flavor but it's a nice little surprise when you crunch one.
LOL yes i remember the nice diaper changes :p

That is such a cool idea about the cumin seeds... I never thought of that, i will try it next time
thank you »Mustfocus:)

stori813
03-17-05, 07:43 PM
This Lentil soup recipe was very good! I made it last week.

auntchris
03-18-05, 12:55 AM
good to see ya stori....

QueensU_girl
07-22-06, 03:43 PM
I like to take 1/2 of it out, blend it, and put it back in. Yum. Creamy lentil soup.

PS. hand blenders rock.

VisualImagery
07-22-06, 04:56 PM
This recipe sounds wonderful-Loaded with vitamins and minerals and VEGETARIAN too! Meat doesn't like me too much anymore. I have not been in the kitchen for about 2 years. This inspires to return. DH is a great cook!

I am learning why they called my Becky Crocker in college. That was better than Suzy Stitch and Stir. Back then it was called "Home Ec." I am soooo glad they changed the field to Family and Consumer Sciences. I have the FACS, nothing but the FACS, ma'am.