View Full Version : Suggestions & Requests concerning chat room

minn306
03-02-05, 12:45 PM
There has been some "talk" about the chat room being empty lately. What can we do about that??

If we could please get some requests from the members here, on some topics that they would really like to see discussed during a hosted chat time.

We can certainly see about making an announcement on a thread to let everyone know what the upcoming topic will be.

Are there any other suggestions that can be made to increase the member activity in the chat room??

Digitl
03-02-05, 03:40 PM
There has been some "talk" about the chat room being empty lately. What can we do about that??

If we could please get some requests from the members here, on some topics that they would really like to see discussed during a hosted chat time.

We can certainly see about making an announcement on a thread to let everyone know what the upcoming topic will be.

Are there any other suggestions that can be made to increase the member activity in the chat room??
LOL well maybe i have a few ideas, but i dont think you would agree to them :eek: hehehe...
I have not been in the chat room very often....but how does it work usualy? what are the subject usually? little details .

Help me to help you MInn :D

minn306
03-02-05, 04:41 PM
LOL well maybe i have a few ideas, but i dont think you would agree to them :eek: hehehe...
I have not been in the chat room very often....but how does it work usualy? what are the subject usually? little details .

Help me to help you MInn :D
aaahh Dearest Digitl, do you need to be reminded that this is a family forum and I am sure that your choices to be discussed might now.........well might not be okay??!! ha ha

The chat room, as you know is open 24 hours a day so anyone can go in there to chat. On certain days & times(it is on the calendar option at the top of the page) it is posted what person will be in the chat room. As of right now there has not been any topics scheduled & that is why I have made this post. I am hoping that by asking for requests of what people would really like to chat about, it will make our chat room come "alive" again. In the chat room, the discussion is from issues with ADD to just maybe a situation that somebody has, and needs advice or support.

Ian
03-02-05, 04:48 PM
I'm just short of time. That's not much of an excuse but I've been spending more time doing things around my living space and that's cut into my on-line time.

I've rededicated myself to building a better forums today and chat will be seeing more of me. I can't commit to specific times but I'm going to try and do my part of populate the place when I can. See you there.
Cheers! Ian.

Digitl
03-03-05, 10:07 AM
How about making a poll or ask what people would like to talk about in the chatrooms...?

ok one idea down...:p
more on the way!! (scary thought)

Cardo
03-03-05, 03:03 PM
A Poll of different topics may be a good idea...

Topics could include: Job Related Issues
Marriage - Family
Parents with Chidren with ADD / ADHD
Sports..(from kids to Pros).Baseball, Football,....
How start Organizing at home, work
Finances
Dating
Book Topics
Healthy Diets
Exercise and Fitness

I know alot of these are in "Threads", but this would be a way to bring them "Live".
Just a thought.......

minn306
03-03-05, 03:27 PM
Those are some wonderful ideas.

Thank you

Ian
03-03-05, 04:01 PM
Will I still be able to drop by and be wildly off topic? :P ehhe

Nucking_Futs
03-03-05, 04:24 PM
I just think that it will be nice to have forum admin taking an active part in the chat room. I think it would be a great idea for mods to research stuff and give little inservices on what they learn...ejicate us o mighty ones. *grins* aww come on it'll be fun and if you posted chat discussions about three days before they were to take place as a warning to members so they could make the time that would be pretty darn cool too.

minn306
03-03-05, 05:19 PM
Will I still be able to drop by and be wildly off topic? :P ehhe
Well of course Ian................we always need somebody to "entertain" us!!!

Digitl
03-04-05, 10:58 AM
A Poll of different topics may be a good idea...

Topics could include: Job Related Issues
Marriage - Family
Parents with Chidren with ADD / ADHD
Sports..(from kids to Pros).Baseball, Football,....
How start Organizing at home, work
Finances
Dating
Book Topics
Healthy Diets
Exercise and Fitness

I know alot of these are in "Threads", but this would be a way to bring them "Live".
Just a thought.......
They are great ideas Cardo

Cardo
03-05-05, 12:11 AM
So do I hear the sound of the high speed connection in the ethernet online universe for a potential start date...???? for the Festivities to Begin...???

Well for now, I will keep my ear to the cable... my eyes on the screen...and my fingers nimble to.... listen..., look...,learn......and of course participate.

Digitl
03-07-05, 05:36 PM
How about a trivia night?
I know lots of people enjoy that...

:)

Nucking_Futs
03-08-05, 05:50 PM
I'd lose but I like it...I LIKE IT!!!!

Digitl
03-08-05, 09:24 PM
I'd lose but I like it...I LIKE IT!!!!
Me 2 i would lose....but i would gladly get all the trivia questions ready and give out the question and answers.....on the chat...

Actually i would love to do that...if you need me 2. :D

aneededchange
03-08-05, 09:29 PM
If you would like Minn-dear, I could hold a chat 2xs a month about health and fitness ... *hugs* No help with nutrition though ... LOL I am lost on that still.

minn306
03-08-05, 09:32 PM
Ane~
That is an amazing idea. What nights or days are you thinking?? Let me know & I will talk to Andrew about putting you on the calendar for those times

((HUGS))

aneededchange
03-08-05, 09:37 PM
Ane~
That is an amazing idea. What nights or days are you thinking?? Let me know & I will talk to Andrew about putting you on the calendar for those times

((HUGS))
Well - it is best on either weekends (I will give a list of days and times a month before hand - as my schedule changes frequently) or possibly some tues and thurs after 7pm Texas time :).

I hope that will work.

- ane

minn306
03-08-05, 09:38 PM
Anything will work

Thank you!!

aneededchange
03-08-05, 09:42 PM
Already sent a PM to Andrew about my idea.

*hugs*

- Ane

Mary
03-10-05, 03:28 AM
It would be helpful if there was a time zone listed........ say 8:00 pm est.. would be ... ? elsewhere.

Lilgoomer
03-10-05, 02:17 PM
Is there somewhere that lists people logged into chat before you attempt to log in? I hate logging in and being the only one there :(

minn306
03-10-05, 02:20 PM
If you go to the top of the page, there is something called Quick Links. At the bottom of the pull down menu, there is a "who's chatting" option. That will let you know if anybody is in the chat room

crazymama05
03-12-05, 03:39 PM
Cool, trivia is sooo fun. I always lose too, but its fun to play. Mostly i lose becuase i cant get my brain to type the answer. I think there is a disconnect between my brain and my fingers. I freeze up.....im a freezer, but i have a blast trying.

Cool, cool idea.

Ronee

By the way, off topic, but I cant tell you all how happy i am that i found this site, how thankful i am, and how wonderful i think all you guys are. You make me smile inspite of myself. This place is a godsend to me. Thank you thank you thank you.

Digitl
03-13-05, 10:50 AM
I had some people pm about doing trivia on chat..

I am wondering if it would be possible for me to make a poll to see if there was enough people interested to have one trivia night in chat...?

Like i said before i would take care of it,,,i would not mind it at all.

Draga
03-13-05, 11:15 AM
:D sounds like a awesome Idea...work dem brain cells :p

Digitl
03-13-05, 11:51 AM
:D sounds like a awesome Idea...work dem brain cells :p
Does that mean i can make a poll for it????
Cause you know i am ADHD and i will do it NOW :eek:

Toby
03-13-05, 04:05 PM
Maybe changing the chat app to one which utilises less resources, and so runs smoother on older computers might attract more people. There are a couple of cgi apps that come to mind.

Ian
03-22-05, 01:07 AM
Toby I've been down this road a long way. :D When I first came here I could not believe there was not a thriving chat community here. It is still beyond my imagination although being a new admin here has given me a new perception on how difficult it can be to stand out front.

I expect that an irc setup would be best but someone would have to be responsible for it and it's a time vacuum that way.

I too found some nice applications to be compatible with browsers but they too create logs and such that generate more work. I had an informal channel not associated with the forums here but dedicated to ADHD for a while but nobody came so I gave it up.

Java is a dog to work with I agree. I have trouble with it on this Linux box. The chat app here kills my browser and email client when java_vm dies. Oh well.. life in the fast lane.

I enjoy the chat we have here but the culture seems unfamiliar with the process. Mostly because many folks run lame browsers that aren't tabbed so it's easy to sit idle in there until someone else joins I think.

Anyway it is good to see it being used as much as it is. I've had some real fun in there since the last upgrade and have met some fine folks too.
Cheers! Ian

Sugarbossbabe
03-22-05, 09:02 AM
Toby I've been down this road a long way. :D When I first came here I could not believe there was not a thriving chat community here. It is still beyond my imagination although being a new admin here has given me a new perception on how difficult it can be to stand out front.

I expect that an irc setup would be best but someone would have to be responsible for it and it's a time vacuum that way.

I too found some nice applications to be compatible with browsers but they too create logs and such that generate more work. I had an informal channel not associated with the forums here but dedicated to ADHD for a while but nobody came so I gave it up.

Java is a dog to work with I agree. I have trouble with it on this Linux box. The chat app here kills my browser and email client when java_vm dies. Oh well.. life in the fast lane.

I enjoy the chat we have here but the culture seems unfamiliar with the process. Mostly because many folks run lame browsers that aren't tabbed so it's easy to sit idle in there until someone else joins I think.

Anyway it is good to see it being used as much as it is. I've had some real fun in there since the last upgrade and have met some fine folks too.
Cheers! Ian

Just a little side note and in no way detracting from your excellent chat room :) But I actually own and operate an IRC chat room for ADHD chat,I made it last week before I joined here,and I also have a java link to it for those who dont know how to use irc,its not been so busy but I am living in hope. :)