View Full Version : First Day on Wellbutrin and Adderall XR

Jsamples
09-29-13, 09:50 AM
Hey all,

This is my very first post on the forums! I was diagnosed as having ADHD-PI roughly 11 months ago. After some trial and error dosing, I have been on Adderall XR for about the past 8 months.

I'm currently a third year university student and have never been busier! The Adderall has helped me overcome so many of the bumps in the road that I otherwise would have thought impossible to do. Despite all the therapeutic benefit I have received from the amphetamines, I also have realized its downfalls with more long-term use: tolerance, dependency, etc.

I talked to my primary care about switching to a non-stimulant and gradually reducing my Adderall dose; we decided on Wellbutrin. I am currently prescribed the regular, instant-release formula of Wellbutrin at 75mg, with 1 tablet taken once daily.

Yesterday was my very first day taking it - alongside 20mg Adderall XR - and I perceived some immediate benefits after about 1.5 hours: my attention increased, my mood improved, and I felt a bit better overall. However, I hit a wall and crashed after 5 hours. I later read through the drug's prescribing info and found that the instant-release formula should be taken 3 times daily - I am only taking one pill, one time daily.

Overall, my question is this: Does my initial dose of Wellbutrin seem a bit low to some people? I would much rather be on the SR or XL formulas for stability.

Also, if anyone has personal experiences with Wellbutrin, Adderall XR, or the combination of the two, PLEASE SHARE! :D

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers,
Jake

Jsamples
09-29-13, 07:00 PM
Update: Today is Day 2 on Wellbutrin, which I took in the morning along with my 20mg Adderall XR. I experienced the same afternoon "crash" as I did yesterday: my mood, energy, and attentiveness dropped significantly. Is this normal when starting on Wellbutrin, or could it be the dose that I'm on? How long will this last?

Daydreamin22
09-30-13, 12:12 PM
Hey, not sure, I know that's a good combo, though. I know someone on both of those and he loves the combination. It treats his depression as well. I think Wellbutrin is also an antidepressant, or maybe it's anti anxiety. Not sure. Keep posting with all different questions. Good luck with all of your studies though. Seems like you really have your priorities straight.

ITguy
01-07-14, 10:03 AM
I'm having my first day on the exact same combo (Adderall XR 2-mg for about 6 month and now adding 100MG Welbutrin). I normally have a slight Adderall crash about 1pm-2pm (big at 6-7pm), of which I have some Adderall IR that I can take as needed.

This is my first post as well, although I've lurked for a long time.

Will post again later in the day.

-m

AdamLL
01-08-14, 11:15 AM
HI, the Welbutrin works very well for me. I actually take 300MG a day and then I take 2-15mg of mirtazapine in the evening. I have had pretty good luck with them both. I do have lorazepam also that i take as needed for anxiety.
Hang in there is can be a slow process trying to find the right medication combo as you know. At least that is how my doctor proceeds. I would sooner have it that way though.

ITguy
01-08-14, 02:46 PM
My day was good. I am getting some agitation from taking the Adderall, but the Welbutrin seems to be smoothing that out. So far so good.

-m

ITguy
01-13-14, 08:56 AM
It's now been almost a week. Feeling ok with it all. Only noticible thing is weird dreams (which I see others have reported as well) and then waking up every day at about 4:15am. Takes about 30 minutes to get back to sleep, and then wake up at like 6:30am and then sometimes get back to sleep, sometimes not.

The dreams are fine I guess, but I could do without the waking up like clockwork at 4:15am. I kinda hate to take a pill to sleep because a different pill is making me wake up but can't keep waking up like this. I'll have to as my doctor.

Are you experiencing anything similar?

-m