View Full Version : Quercetin + Vitamin C + Concentrated fruit juices

adhdpi
10-02-13, 08:04 AM
I think I have found another thing that works against ADHD. You have to be careful with it thought, because in combination with stimulants it may cause high blood pressure. Periodically monitoring blood pressure (measure your blood pressure daily) is highly recommended if you use this supplement. It may also be recommended to review the interactions with MAO-inhibitors with certain kinds of food. For example tyramine in combination with MAO-inhibitors may dangerously raise blood pressure.

It's Quercetin and it's both a MAO-inhibitor and COMT-inhibitor. MAO-inhibitors (such as selegiline and moclobemide) are reported to work against ADHD. Quercetin is a substance found in apples for example, but in low concentration.

To use the Quercetin you HAVE TO dissolve it in concentrated fruit juice and high dosage vitamin c. For example if you have 500 mg Quercetin you must add 500 mg vitamin c and dissolve it in a glass of concentrated fruit juice (for example orange juice that is not adulterated with water or freshly self squeezed orange juice). You might also want to take vitamin E along with it. My recommendation is to take 2000 mg Quercetin + 2000 mg Vitamin C and dissolve it in a bottle of 1L orange juice (shake well) and then drink this throughout the day.

adhdpi
10-02-13, 09:16 AM
The concentrated fruit juice and vitamin c need to be added for bioavailability issues.

Oh yes, it may take 4 weeks to work.

You can also get quercetin + vitamin c combined in a supplement. Don't forget to dissolve it in concentrated fruit juices.

adhdpi
10-10-13, 05:23 AM
You might need to take 300-400 IU Vitamin E a day also when you are following this protocol.

adhdpi
10-11-13, 12:36 PM
I have been taking Quercetin high dose for about 7 days now.

I'm not sure, but I think the Quercetin (taken the way as prescribed) dramatically potentiates methylphenidate. By taking quercetin, concerta works much better.

However, it also increases blood pressure. I think I have a possible solution for this thought. More about that later.

I measure blood pressure every day multiple times.

I read that MAOI's can make methylphenidate work better, but not amphetamines such as adderall or dexedrine. There has been research on combining MAOI's with methylphenidate and amphetamine.

Quercetin is mainly a MAO-B inhibitor. This has more to do with dopamine I read.

adhdpi
10-12-13, 03:47 AM
Warning:

The Quercetin seems to work constantly after taking it for a few weeks and raises blood pressure constantly even without concerta. I have stopped Quercetin now after taking a high dosage for a approx. a week. Blood pressure seems to stay higher then usual. The Quercetin appears to still work even thought it is out of my system.

I have stopped concerta as well, but my blood pressure appears to be higher then usual. Even thought I stopped both quercetin and concerta! Unless my high blood pressure is caused by anxiety I have for blood pressure readings.

adhdpi
10-12-13, 01:38 PM
The dosage I took for a week is less then approx. 2000 mg Quercetin + 700-2000 mg vitamin c a day. I recommend not taking this dosage for longer then a week, because it appears to keep working constantly. After a week of this high dosage I recommend going back to a maximum of 500 mg Quercetin + 250-500 mg vitamin C.

Take blood pressure and heart rate 3-10 times every day!

adhdpi
10-12-13, 02:00 PM
I will tell you about the possible solution I have found against the high blood pressure.

In the past, every time I took concerta I frequently had "crashes". In these periods I would feel dysphoric, combined with anxiety. Blood would flow to the skin, making me feel warmer on skin. I figured out this was due to the parasympathetic (rest and digest) nervous system.

I figured out that there is a balance in my brain, a homeostasis. Wait, i'll quote my most recent explenation:

I'll explain my dopamine sensitisation/upregulation idea. When I used stimulants, especially with concerta, I noticed a dysphoric feeling. A crash. I theorized that in these periods my brain is unbalanced, triggering the parasympathetic nervous system (rest and digest system) to dominate. On the long term, after repeatedly experiencing these dysphoric periods (crashes), I thought the brain would restore this balance by making more dopamine receptors. It takes a lot of time thought because you have alot of synapses. Over time, sensitisation/ upregulation of dopamine receptors take place causing long lasting improvement over ADHD symptoms.

By the way, the idea I had about sensitisation is based on what I read about what cocaine abusers experience: First they have an euphoric feeling, the brain wants to maintain homeostasis (a constant normal state) so the receptors desensitise/ downregulate. However, when they experience a crash the receptors sensitise/ upregulate. When I had concerta I only experienced the crash so there must be only sensitisation/ upregulation. The idea is based on the fact that the body/ brain wants to maintain a homeostasis, it does everything to maintain that constant state and the body does things to correct things if the normal constant state has changed.

I found out that especially with concerta, because the active compound is released very slowly, the crash periods were very noticable. Ritalin, that releases methylphenidate very quickly on the other hand had less of this effect, unless I took a small dose of ritalin every hour or two.

Concerta has a coating that contains fast release methylphenidate. Because I think that fast release methylphenidate does not cause as much parasympathetic nervous system effects I always dissolve the coating with a slightly wet cotton-wool. Then I make the capsule dry with dry cotton-wool.

Stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system lowers blood pressure and heart rate and causes me to become more anxious about my health, due to the "rest, digest and recover" self-care behaviour caused by the parasympathetic nervous system.

Quercetin also appears to lower blood pressure, there are scientific studies on this. Quercetin also protects against free radicals and a number of things.

Because stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system makes me very anxious I think this also raises blood pressure when I take my blood pressure. This is why I bought a wrist blood pressure monitor and a heart rate watch in order to see what my heart rate is when I am not anxious. The wrist blood pressure monitor is meant to measure my blood pressure while I am in a relaxed position (lying in bed) in order to minimalise the effects of anxiety on my blood pressure.

adhdpi
10-12-13, 02:26 PM
To use the Quercetin you HAVE TO dissolve it in concentrated fruit juice and high dosage vitamin c. For example if you have 500 mg Quercetin you must add 500 mg vitamin c and dissolve it in a glass of concentrated fruit juice (for example orange juice that is not adulterated with water or freshly self squeezed orange juice). You might also want to take vitamin E along with it. My recommendation is to take 2000 mg Quercetin + 2000 mg Vitamin C and dissolve it in a bottle of 1L orange juice (shake well) and then drink this throughout the day.I recommend taking a quarter, half or full glass (50, 100 and 200 ml) of this bottle of 1L orange juice every 1-3 hours. Since quercetin may be excreted out of the body pretty fast.

adhdpi
10-12-13, 04:06 PM
Dopamine and serotonin levels were increased in this study due to Quercetin (see page 125):

http://eprints.ru.ac.za/2717/1/STEPHENS-PHD-TR05-61.pdf

adhdpi
10-14-13, 11:15 PM
Warning:

While using Quercetin, I noticed that my blood pressure keeps rising. I think that Quercetin may be an irreversable MAO-inhibitor. This means that the MAO enzyme is destroyed and it takes a couple of weeks before it is replaced. I think this is the reason why my blood pressure keeps rising as more and more MAO enzymes are destroyed.

Therefore I have decided to stop Quercetin for 1 or several weeks/ months.

If I keep on taking the Quercetin I will most definitely get a hypertensive crisis!

RicardoBogie
10-14-13, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the "heads up".

Apparently, Vitamin C is needed to create neurotransmitters. I have seen articles that advise taking Vitamin C with Tyrosine, for instance..or with Grape Seed Extract. I tried Vitamin C with GSE for a couple of months..its energizing and seems to facilitate attention span.

If you want to lower your BP, perhaps you could look into Hawthorne extract. I find it works better than garlic for that purpose, and its a true heart strengthener.

adhdpi
02-14-14, 12:40 AM
Has anyone tried this protocol?

sarahsweets
02-14-14, 05:36 AM
I just read through the side effects and interactions and its not worth the risk for me personally.

fabioalxk
05-11-14, 09:12 PM
Holy mother of god, it works!!

Do you have acne + dark circles too? extreme fatigue?

i'm taking (4 capsules of quercetin with 2 capsules of grape seed extract) 3 TIMES A DAY

+ (1000mg of vitamin C with baking soda) 1X A DAY

+ Gluten free, dairy free diet!

fabioalxk
05-11-14, 10:28 PM
It Works

adhdpi
08-26-14, 06:04 PM
It's dangerous unless well used!

adhdpi
11-21-14, 04:49 AM
This combination is a ritalin/ methylphenidate potentiator! Like selegeline!