View Full Version : Backslide again!!

JenE
10-04-13, 08:59 AM
Yeah, Tuesday when he told me to go to work but had hesitation in his voice........ Didn't go well.

I was there at lunch in the car. He switched classes and decidedly looked at the car but seems fine so I left. Not 2 minutes down the road, they called and said he was sick. So I went back and he was a mess. Couldn't get him to finish the day so we left.

Wed, he was pretty good till we got there and then he fell apart, wouldn't get out of the car, crying and being obstinant. Tried most of the day but he wouldn't go to class. I talked to him about being upset that I was leaving and he said that might be part of it. So I assured him I would stay and he said he'd try.

Thurs, he was good again till we got there then said his tummy hurt. Told him he was fine and assured him I'd be there. He went to class and I was feeling good about the day then at 11:30 they came and got me saying he was sick again. I went and talked to him. He totally fell apart. It took a while but I got him to calm down (was pretty stern with him so it took a little longer). He talked to a couple of his teachers and got more positive. Long story short, he eventually got back into class and finished the day with really only missing about 1.5 hrs of class.

Glad for the strong finish. Hopefully it will help for a strong start on Monday. Guess I'll be hanging out at school for a little while longer.

Lunacie
10-04-13, 09:55 AM
Hopefully he's not getting sick. Behavior like that is our best predictor that
my granddaughter is getting sick.

Yesterday she stopped up the toilet again. And had a meltdown. We're so
glad she's finally going to the bathroom instead of going in her pants, but
it's getting old having to use all the towels to mop up the flood on the
bathroom floor.

Anyway, after the meltdown yesterday I wasn't too surprised she refused
to get up and go to school today. Either it's hormonal (that time of the
month) or she's getting sick. With your son, it's probably not hormonal yet
(not puberty).

JenE
10-04-13, 10:16 AM
Thanks Lunacie!

Yeah, I gave him the benefit of the doubt on Tuesday by taking him home but within a couple of hours he was fine and the same on the other days. I'm not doubting that his stomach did hurt some but we can't get him to understand that doesn't always mean you're sick. He just can't explore the option of hunger or needing to go to the bathroom. Once his stomach starts to hurt, his anxiety kicks in and its a cascade--one fueling the other.

Although I did see some interesting info on abdominal migraines that sounds sooooo much like him and all of the family gets migraine headaches.

Lunacie
10-04-13, 10:35 AM
Thanks Lunacie!

Yeah, I gave him the benefit of the doubt on Tuesday by taking him home but within a couple of hours he was fine and the same on the other days. I'm not doubting that his stomach did hurt some but we can't get him to understand that doesn't always mean you're sick. He just can't explore the option of hunger or needing to go to the bathroom. Once his stomach starts to hurt, his anxiety kicks in and its a cascade--one fueling the other.

Although I did see some interesting info on abdominal migraines that sounds sooooo much like him and all of the family gets migraine headaches.

I don't think I knew that you have migraine disorder in your family. Yeah, I
sometimes get abdominal migraines - only learned that's what was going
on a couple of years ago after more than 40 years. Sinus headaches can
also be migraines - doctors didn't know that when I was first looking for
help nearly 40 years ago.

My granddaughter would not talk to her mother today - unusual for her.
Mom came and got me, and I talked to her quietly for a minute, then asked
if she had a headache or if her throat was too sore to talk. I tend to get
very quiet when I have a migraine, don't like to talk to anyone. I finally
convinced her to take a couple of ibuprofen, but nothing could convince her
to go to school.

As soon as they noisy dishwasher is done running, I'll work with her on
some homework. If she stays home from school, even if she's truly sick,
she has to do some work in her workbooks.

sarahsweets
10-04-13, 10:48 AM
I am going through something similar with my youngest, it seems that 5th grade is alot more work for her and she is already prone to anxiety. She has already missed 3 days of school for tummy aches.

JenE
10-04-13, 10:58 AM
Sarah, DS did great in 3rd and 4th grade but last year in 5th is when he really started to fall apart again. I think they are pushing them to get ready for middle school and it creates a lot of anxiety in all the kids but especially those like ours. Even my NT daughter didn't like 5th grade.

I hope your DD is feeling better soon!

Lunacie
10-04-13, 11:12 AM
5th grade is where my ADHD granddaughter "hit the wall." Rough year.