View Full Version : Thinking of quitting sertraline

Fuzzy12
10-04-13, 03:30 PM
I know, sounds like a terrible idea but bear with me.

I haven't taken my meds in 3 says now. Not on purpose but just because I keep forgetting every day to pick up the prescription from my gp. Well I didn't forget today but I just felt too ill.

I guess it still take some time for sertraline to completely leave my bloody bit so far I'm not going more depressed. On the contrary. I don't know of course of that's for anything to do with quitting considering how volatile my mood s are.

From what I can tell sertraline did 2 things for me: it got rid of anxiety and it supposed my appetite. Today I've felt a bit agitated and on edge and I've been eating like a pig for the last 3 days but then I shouldn't be using an anti depressant just as a weight loss aid I guess.

I didn't have much of withdrawal symptoms when I stopped snri s so I didn't expect them with sertraline but today I felt really ill. Light headed, nausea, brain zaps, etc but then I've got a cold so maybe it's not just withdrawal symptoms.

Anyway I'm just wondering why I should continue taking something that doesn't make an obvious difference. It also would be interesting to see if the depression gets worse off anti depressant. I've been popping pills non stop for a year and a half now with no huge benefit. I'm kinda sick of it. Sick of the thought more than anything.

dvdnvwls
10-04-13, 04:11 PM
You may be right to stop, but discuss it with your doctor first.

Lunacie
10-04-13, 04:44 PM
Those symptoms actually do sound like withdrawal from the sertraline.
I agree that you should check with your doctor, and probably taper off
instead of going cold turkey.

Fuzzy12
10-04-13, 06:16 PM
Discuss it with my doctor first? That involves calling at exactly 8am on Monday to try and get an emergency appointment. Otherwise I'll have to wait for weeks. I haven't even been able to pick up my silly prescription. After 3 days do I still need to titrste

Yeah I know: excuses. The truth is I don't want v to wait. I'm curious to see the effect this still have on me and if there ll be any effect at all.

dvdnvwls
10-05-13, 01:40 AM
I think you'd better get your prescription picked up then. I don't believe it's right to toy with your health like this. If you're serious about making a decision to stop this type of medication, then you have to be serious enough to phone the dann doctor.

purpleToes
10-05-13, 03:21 AM
Fuzzy, I strongly urge you not to discontinue sertraline abruptly. It's rather a shock to the brain to suddenly withdraw the serotonin that it's become accustomed to.

My experiences with abrupt (first time, doctors didn't know any better many years ago) or too-rapid (second time, still too fast) sertraline discontinuation both resulted in serious mood disturbance (worse than my baseline) including rage incidents that I'm too ashamed to describe. Third time I went nice and slow (several weeks) and I was OK (no worse than baseline).

Hope that helps with your curiosity. I think you're taking a big risk for a not-very-good reason.

Fortune
10-05-13, 03:59 AM
Discuss it with my doctor first? That involves calling at exactly 8am on Monday to try and get an emergency appointment. Otherwise I'll have to wait for weeks. I haven't even been able to pick up my silly prescription. After 3 days do I still need to titrste

Yeah I know: excuses. The truth is I don't want v to wait. I'm curious to see the effect this still have on me and if there ll be any effect at all.

You're already experiencing the side effects of going cold turkey.

Fuzzy12
10-05-13, 08:15 AM
I know you guys are right and id never recommend anyone these to cquit cold turkey but the thing is that I'm going alight. Surprisingly alright. Not hypo manic bliss and excitement but just alright. Maybe even a bit relaxed. Maybe it's just the congestion ycaused by the flu that's making me feel a bit warm and bgroggy. I don't know. Besides the earliest that I can get my prescription now is Monday. I still make an appointment with my gp and discuss it with her but I'm hesitant to start taking the meds before I meet her.

I know this should be the least of my worries but I am eating like crazy again :doh:

Amtram
10-05-13, 09:54 AM
OK, here's the scoop, Fuzzy. If you taper down from an antidepressant gradually, you may experience some withdrawal symptoms, but they will be far less intense, and they will likely be gone by the time you finish taking the lowest dose. Depending on where you started, this could go on from 6 weeks, all the way up to 3 months - your doctor is the only one who can advise you on this.

If you quit cold turkey, your withdrawal symptoms will be far more intense, and may continue for months. . .to years. Sertraline is not as bad as some. I foolishly quit Paxil cold turkey a long time ago, and 18 months later, I was still getting zaps.

You just DO NOT want to risk this. It's horrible.

finallyfound10
10-05-13, 12:35 PM
Fuzzy,

Listen to the nice, wise people here!! Please!! They have done the cold turkey and paid dearly for it! Take your meds and call your doc to taper if you want to go that route.

sarahsweets
10-05-13, 12:43 PM
Oh fuzzy, please be careful. I really believe you need some kind of meds that work for you.

Fuzzy12
10-05-13, 02:37 PM
I'm feeling good :eek:

I'd forgotten how pleasant it is to feel good :eek:

Maybe I am getting a bit hypo manic :scratch:

The v only proper hypo manic episode I had was when I quit venlafaxine :scratch:

I'm also feeling very huggie. :o

*wanders off to find somEone to hug* :o

Anyway there's nothing I can do till Monday. I'll try to make an appointment with my gp. And I'll get my prescription so don't worry please :)

But phew who would have thought that it feels so good to feel good :eek:

Fortune
10-05-13, 04:50 PM
OK, here's the scoop, Fuzzy. If you taper down from an antidepressant gradually, you may experience some withdrawal symptoms, but they will be far less intense, and they will likely be gone by the time you finish taking the lowest dose. Depending on where you started, this could go on from 6 weeks, all the way up to 3 months - your doctor is the only one who can advise you on this.

If you quit cold turkey, your withdrawal symptoms will be far more intense, and may continue for months. . .to years. Sertraline is not as bad as some. I foolishly quit Paxil cold turkey a long time ago, and 18 months later, I was still getting zaps.

You just DO NOT want to risk this. It's horrible.

I quit Paxil in 2002 and I only stopped getting occasional brain zaps when I started Zoloft a year or two ago.

Rebelyell
10-05-13, 04:53 PM
Sometimes I just think about quitting totally.

ana futura
10-05-13, 07:52 PM
I think there are other ways of managing moods, beyond meds, that are quite effective. But if you want to manage your moods without meds, you actually have to work at it. You can't just stop meds and expect things to fall into place.

I will say that my mood as improved dramatically since going through an intensive meditation training program, CBT, and reading lots about healing anxiety and trauma.

I've never taken medication for mood (SSRI's or anything like that) but I have struggled with rage, anxiety and depression for a very long time. I used to be a disaster, and I'm much less of one now.

If you are serious about managing moods without meds, it can be done, but not without A LOT of work. And yeah, whatever you wind up doing you have to taper down, that's not an option. You can cause serious harm to yourself.

Rebelyell
10-05-13, 08:04 PM
It sucks I went on meds for that same problem n still struggle, sometimes its like I just wanna lay down in bed n not get up anymore..what's the use no one cares anyway.

BellaVita
10-05-13, 08:07 PM
It sucks I went on meds for that same problem n still struggle, sometimes its like I just wanna lay down in bed n not get up anymore..what's the use no one cares anyway.

I care. :( all of us on ADDF care

:grouphug:

Fuzzy12
10-05-13, 08:09 PM

I care reb. I know what it's like to just want to go to sleep and never wake up again. Or what it's like to not want to go to bed because you dread having to wake up in the morning. Please please please hang in there reb. I can't give you a reason why or make things better but you know what if things can get better? what if they will? you never know right?

Fuzzy12
10-15-13, 12:30 PM
The light headedness and nausea are slowly getting better. Tinnitus is getting worse. I told the psychiatrist I saw about my discontinuation symptoms from quitting Sertraline and he suggested that I don't start and just wait it out since I'm feeling much better mentally after quitting Sertraline.

I don't mind the ear ringing so much, but I really wish that the constant nausea would stop. Oh well, it's still better than being depressed (though I can't know for sure that I'm definitely feeling better because I quit Sertraline. I've found a few studies though which listed slight hypomania as a rare but real discontinuation symptom from SSRIs).

purpleToes
10-15-13, 11:20 PM
I'm so happy to hear you're feeling pretty good :) I hope those d/c symptoms lose interest in you and go bother someone else soon. Ginger for the nausea? It works great for me for car-sickness.

Amtram
10-16-13, 10:32 AM
Tinnitus is a pain. Sometimes medications cause it or make it worse. Sometimes stopping medications cause it or make it worse. Sometimes the same medication does both. However. . .very often, if it's triggered by a medication change, it gets better (no guarantees about it going away, though. Sorry.)

Flory
10-16-13, 11:45 AM
Also fuzz I think anti depressants and stimulant combos are largely frowned on over here ? Poly pharmacy is a bit more accepted across the pond it'd seem. But my GP was aversed to giving me any anti depressants with my dex because he was worried about seretonin syndrome I don't know if that's the case with Ritalin too ?

Drewbacca
10-17-13, 01:12 AM
I'm glad I stopped taking sertraline... but it does seem like I need it when the seasonal depression sinks in. It's that time of year. :(

Fuzzy12
10-17-13, 01:19 AM
I'm glad I stopped taking sertraline... but it does seem like I need it when the seasonal depression sinks in. It's that time of year. :(

Drew long time no see. How have you been? :grouphug:

Drewbacca
10-17-13, 01:29 AM
Drew long time no see. How have you been? :grouphug:

Up/Down... same old...

It's getting cold outside and I'm loosing daylight, this isn't helpful when riding my bicycle is one of the only healthy outlets that I have. I'm still in an unhealthy relationship, far away from my friends, struggling to make any big changes in my life... still lost at sea, I suppose.

But, my overall outlook has been healthy. I've been sleeping better. I've been able to focus (within reason) despite the fact that I'm not currently on any medication. I do have a stock of adderall and I very rarely will take it on a day that I REALLY need to be super-focused but otherwise, I seem to be getting by. I'm in a much better mental place now than I was when I first came to this forum, but there is still a void that needs to be filled.

Or, you could say that I'm doing really bad, because my idiot father reformatted my other laptop without my permission... I've lost gigabytes of info, journals, studies, books, etc. that I've collected on ADHD which is very frustrating. In fairness, I probably was never going to read them again anyhow.

Fuzzy12
10-17-13, 03:06 AM
That sucks @ losing all your data. At least now you don't have to worry about not reading it anymore :umm1:

Glad to hear you are doing all right mentally. Filling that void is a pretty big task, I hope you'll get there at some point and if not, I hope that you will at least have fun trying to fill it. :)

Drew, you won't believe what happened!! It's a miracle (or the scam of the century :eyebrow:). I got diagnosed with ADHD. :eek::faint:

Asylum
10-17-13, 10:11 AM
I'm glad your feeling better. Not sure the cold turkey was a good idea. I had to quit Effexor cold turkey because of a lying-***** doctor - it was horrible.

Anyway, hugs!

Drewbacca
10-17-13, 04:33 PM
I'm glad your feeling better. Not sure the cold turkey was a good idea. I had to quit Effexor cold turkey because of a lying-***** doctor - it was horrible.

sertraline withdrawal isn't too bad, a few not-fun days and then it's over and done with.

dvdnvwls
10-17-13, 05:12 PM
I have only had very minor tinnitus one or two times in my life. In each case, it was the fault of my recent favourite enemy, caffeine.

purpleToes
10-17-13, 09:40 PM
Also fuzz I think anti depressants and stimulant combos are largely frowned on over here ? Poly pharmacy is a bit more accepted across the pond it'd seem. But my GP was aversed to giving me any anti depressants with my dex because he was worried about seretonin syndrome I don't know if that's the case with Ritalin too ?

FWIW, I am in the U.S. and I agree that doctors seem largely open to mixing and matching the psych meds. Years back, my old psychiatrist added Dexedrine to "augment" the sertraline I was already on for depression after I'd tried numerous ADs without symptom relief. I felt that the Dexedrine itself was what finally was helping me, and not the sertraline, but he was totally against letting me take the Dexedrine alone. I was so annoyed with the sertraline that I ended up giving up both... years later I have an ADHD Dx and I'm doing pretty well on Dexedrine alone (plus excellent talk therapy), but I never felt I'd run into any resistance if I wanted to add antidepressants again.

It's interesting how very different "cultures" rule the practice of medicine from one place in the world to another. The U.S. health care system is a mess in a lot of ways, but I generally agree with the greater freedom and independence that doctors here apparently have to use their own judgement. I heard in Germany, the medical establishment favors herbal and homeopathic remedies over pharmaceuticals (overall, not specifically ADHD).

I am curious about the reason for the divide between the US and the UK in recognizing and treating ADHD. Presumably the medical establishment in each country believes it is following best practices based on the scientific evidence, and doctors everywhere have access to the same peer reviewed studies. Maybe popular opinion has more influence than science. *shrug*

purpleToes
10-17-13, 09:43 PM
Good to see you Drewbacca :)

Fuzzy12
10-18-13, 03:16 AM
sertraline withdrawal isn't too bad, a few not-fun days and then it's over and done with.

Grr drew wish I could hit you over the head v with my withdrawal symptoms:lol:

It's been 2 3 weeks now, the light headed ness is slightly better but the nausea is really annoying. The east ringing is getting worse but at the moment is not troubling me too much.

I'm eating like a pig :eek: sigh sertraline was a great appetite suppressant. Also the constant nausea is making me smoke less which is another reason for my increased apppetite.

Anyway I'm not bothered. I'm still feeling good, still got the ever so slight hint of hypomania.

Or maybe I'm just not depressed. I twonder if I'd recognize happiness unless it hit me over the head with a sledge hammer in the form of hypomania:scratch:

:)

purpleToes
10-19-13, 03:42 AM
Grr drew wish I could hit you over the head v with my withdrawal symptoms:lol:

It's been 2 3 weeks now, the light headed ness is slightly better but the nausea is really annoying. The east ringing is getting worse but at the moment is not troubling me too much.

I'm eating like a pig :eek: sigh sertraline was a great appetite suppressant. Also the constant nausea is making me smoke less which is another reason for my increased apppetite.

:)

It sounds like you did a lot of reading about discontinuation syndromes, so you probably already know this, but I have read some people get rid of persistent d/c symptoms by going back on the medication temporarily and following a discontinuation protocol. Some methods are fairly quick, maybe quicker than your symptoms would persist otherwise. If your d/c symptoms bother you too much, it's an option.