View Full Version : ADHD with Drinking

Meechelios
10-06-13, 07:15 PM
Hi!

So I have a problem. Well I have two problems. I sort of have a drinking problem and whenever I get drunk, I tend to run outside to random locations. No one knows where I intend to go so everyone gets worried and sends search parties after me, etc etc. It's a chronic problem that has been going on for maybe three years now and my friends are extremely frustrated and annoyed with me that I keep doing this.

I think I run off because I get bored and look for excitement, but I also run off when I'm frustrated or angry with someone or something. For some reason, running drunk and looking for some type of adventure is the most delicious experience and even though I want to, I can't seem to stop.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. I don't know if I'm just defective or if others with ADHD experience this problem too. Also any tips to stop. Because when I'm sober, I'm like telling myself over and over I'm not going to run off this time and I'm not going to create chaos but once I get drunk, it's just all over. I forget and all I want is something thrilling. Maybe I should just stop drinking. But I know I wont. Anyway, help is appreciated.

Thanks

dvdnvwls
10-06-13, 08:47 PM
Not everyone with ADHD gets drunk and runs to random locations, but it's extremely common for ADHDers to do something stupid without thinking.

It seems clear, from your description, that when you're sober you never do this stupid thing, and that when you're drunk you can't help yourself.

Have you really decided that you're going to keep drinking? Do you consider yourself an alcoholic? If not, what would be the difference between you and an alcoholic?

Amtram
10-07-13, 09:55 AM
I used to do this in my 20s. Fortunately, I grew out of it. (I grew out of drinking regularly a little later. . .)

So you're bored, and when you disappear, everyone goes out looking for you. If they didn't, would you keep on doing it? It's kind of fun having that degree of power, isn't it? That's what used to drive me back when I did that.

sarahsweets
10-07-13, 02:20 PM
a drinking problem can easily become a life problem.

DichotOhMy
10-07-13, 08:32 PM
I was the opposite when I was still drinking. For me, drinking completely killed that wanderlust and search for novelty that I know now is what makes life really worth living.

The wanderlust died because I had a very healthy phobia of DUI which kept me from driving much. Of course I did still drive while intoxicated if I had to be somewhere, like the liquor isle at the supermarket, but I never drove for pleasure or search of excitement while intoxicated. I didn't put on a pack and walk towards the hills either, because I was consuming enough alcohol on a regular basis to make physical activities difficult. In short, I came to spend all free time indoors with a bottle, because it was the safest and most comfortable option.

Ironically, alcoholism had a way of becoming a normal routine in a way that felt completely normal, and even necessary; whereas I normally shun routines as stifling, unless necessary for functioning as an adult. Alcoholism, and lots of other substance abuse, is a logical consequence of poorly managed ADHD. Alcohol and drugs are a good way to relax and enter another, any other, new and exciting cognitive state. As cliched as it sounds - if the alcohol is causing any negative effects on your life, or if you find yourself unable to stop drinking despite wanting to, you may have a problem and should seek help as necessary to quit.

Modafinilguy
10-08-13, 05:43 AM
I don't know why you friends would continuously go looking for you, I mean your life is your responsibility.

Get help for drinking.

Amtram
10-08-13, 10:04 AM
Ummm. . .because they're your friends and they're worried about you wandering about late at night alone and drunk?

risefromashes
11-14-13, 08:33 PM
Do any ADD'ers have problems with blacking out and hearing about all the crazy/embarrassing shenanigans from the night before? I guess this is a universal problem with alcohol but from my friends accounts I seem like the Tasmanian devil.

dresser
11-15-13, 05:13 PM
It took me awhile to realize that I wasn't running TO excitement and adventure as much as I was running away from me. the exploites were exciting to dicribe to my audiences, and that made it easier to maintain the flamboyancy, because I denied the inside feelings N thaughts. it didn't work because I always took me with me. Iv had to do things too me, about me, In order to do for me. My last hurrah was DEC 6 1976 been sober N clean ever since (touch MY wooden head). the thing IS you do not have live that way. I can dance sober in front of everyone and anyone.

dvdnvwls
11-15-13, 05:43 PM
Do any ADD'ers have problems with blacking out and hearing about all the crazy/embarrassing shenanigans from the night before? I guess this is a universal problem with alcohol but from my friends accounts I seem like the Tasmanian devil.
Two parts to the answer:
1. Blacking out from drinking and doing stupid things has nothing to do with ADHD and everything to do with getting drunk.

2. Getting blackout-drunk, again, without really thinking how bad this is going to turn out, does have a lot to do with ADHD.

As a person with ADHD, you do not have the self-control your friends have. You actually can't handle this situation, because of ADHD. (I'm not just suggesting - that's simply the fact.) And because you're with some friends who maybe can handle it because they have an average level of self-control, it gives you a social problem. Nobody wants to be the (insert rude insult here) that can't manage alcohol in a social situation; it's painful to be ridiculed. But the fact is, you can't handle getting drunk. I don't know you - maybe you're fine with a few drinks, maybe you're not, but that's not what I'm talking about - I'm saying that somewhere on the path to getting really plssed, you really lose it.

My brother, probably ADHD also though un-diagnosed, almost died in a very similar situation. Just too much alcohol because he didn't have the control to tell himself to stop. He was found by strangers in a deserted parking lot, taken to the hospital. He's fine now, but obviously he doesn't drink anymore.

ClarkG
11-15-13, 11:51 PM
I had issues with alcohol abuse, blacking out, binge drinking, and getting really drunk and then leaving somewhere and just walking around trashed so I stopped drinking. Good luck.

sarahsweets
11-16-13, 07:26 AM
getting drunk and blacking out is the problem, not drinking while taking stimulants.

Antares
11-20-13, 03:09 AM
I like to drink too, but it tends to be self limiting. I get sleepy, or sick, and I stop it.

I don't know, this may sound like it's going to be harsh. ADHD is not a licence to do whatever, and blame it on the condition. You will still have to live with the circumstances the next day. If your friends are forever looking for you when you drink they should step in. I have doubts anyone would tolerate that again and again. If you have an associated condition like bi-polar it fits in a bit more, but at the end of the day you still need to take steps to ensure your own safety.