Abi
10-07-13, 02:19 PM
My choices: Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer

dvdnvwls
10-07-13, 02:38 PM
Windows.

ana futura
10-07-13, 02:48 PM
Word and everything else in MS office (Power Point!)

silivrentoliel
10-07-13, 02:57 PM
anything Microsoft

Lunacie
10-07-13, 03:07 PM
My choices: Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer

I prefer IE (internet explorer), maybe because it's what I'm used to.

My daughter likes Google Chrome. I recently had to use her laptop for a few
days and didn't like it enough to switch to Google Chrome on my own laptop.

dvdnvwls
10-07-13, 03:12 PM
I prefer IE (internet explorer), maybe because it's what I'm used to.
Among people who prefer IE, I think that would have to be the only possible reason.

Abi
10-07-13, 03:14 PM
I was one of those IE people, up until IE 9 came out, which was intolerable. I couldn't figure out how to get IE 8 back as there is no IE 8 download for Win 7 - without reinstalling Windows {it actually IS possible} so I switched to Chrome and never looked back.

addthree
10-07-13, 03:25 PM
Apple IOS. Apple is great but the IOS has always been a bit quirky in my opinion.
Not that Windows OS doesn't have flaws it just a little more straight forward.

Lunacie
10-07-13, 03:40 PM
I seem to remember hating IE 9 as well, but that computer crashed rather
quickly and I simply got a new one that came with IE 10.

dvdnvwls
10-07-13, 03:46 PM
<hr style="color:#D1D1E1" size="1">Apple IOS. Apple is great but the IOS has always been a bit quirky in my opinion.
Not that Windows OS doesn't have flaws it just a little more straight forward.

Hmm. Good point. I didn't include iOS, for the same reason that when someone asks "What's your least favourite food?" I don't include those artificial fruits made of wax.

I haven't used either iOS or [whatever Microsoft calls their desperate attempt to participate in that market] long enough to form strong opinions, because they are capable of so little of what I want from a computer. (i.e. the first thing I notice when I use anybody else's machine is not "Oh, look at the pretty colours", it's "Where's my full-size keyboard with tall key travel and positive-feeling keypresses"?

Abi
10-07-13, 03:50 PM
I actually hated the idea of touchscreens too so when I finally bought my first smartphone I bought one with with a popout physical QWERTY keyboard.... but I soon got used to the Touch and I never use the physical keyboard anymore....

dvdnvwls
10-07-13, 03:57 PM
(I'm old enough that my first typing experience involved the name Smith-Corona, my high school had a typing class, and the typewriters in that class included some IBM Selectrics. I've never recovered.) :)

stef
10-07-13, 04:00 PM
apparently windows vista, is very bad

ana futura
10-07-13, 04:05 PM
I like IOS devices for just playing around on, but for actual work i find them useless. I need my keyboard and giant (non-reflective) screen.

Speaking of apple products that suck- as far as hardware I can't stand the Imac screen. It's useless for anything but watching movies, and I have a very nice tv for that. I'm quite happy with my little underpowered mac mini and samsung monitor.

Apple does a lot of things that upset me, but I think OSX just works so much better for brain. I was stuck on a windows machine for a good 7 years, and now that I have a mac again it's like THANK GOD! I need everything to be obvious and visible and intuitive, and OSX can't be beat for that. I never adjusted to windows (any of them)

ana futura
10-07-13, 04:08 PM
...it's "Where's my full-size keyboard with tall key travel and positive-feeling keypresses"?

I used to feel the same way about tall key travel, but I'm loving the current apple keyboard. I still have the previous generation (g4) but the keys take too much effort comparatively. I make more mistakes on the low profile keys, but I also type much much faster. It's a trade off.

dvdnvwls
10-07-13, 04:22 PM
Did you ever have one of the really good Apple keyboards, which only came with their top-of-the-line computers from the late 80s or very early 90s?

My current keyboard is the same keyboard as an IBM model M (with the electronics updated to use USB), which is still manufactured by a small company in the US. It feels great. However, when I type it sounds as if someone is spilling a box of stainless-steel spoons. Not always the most popular. :)

Abi
10-07-13, 04:22 PM
I had Vista on my Desktop. It's TERRIBLE. The Desktop is too old to handle Win 7 so I put XP on it.

I hear Win 8 is sh** too.

I have Win 7 Ultimate on my laptop, its excellent and I will stick to it even when I can afford to replace this laptop. No Win 8 for me, maybe Win 9.

Abi
10-07-13, 04:24 PM
I had an olivetti manual typewriter when i was a kid. I also had an olivetti word processor with a 1 line screen and a "daisy wheel".

dvdnvwls
10-07-13, 04:28 PM
If you don't have particular Windows-only games you're attached to playing, Linux is worth consideration as a complete replacement for Windows.

stef
10-07-13, 04:33 PM
i think we have windows 7 at work
2 screens, a new dell, our IT is very good
dh has laptop with vista at work. and he works in IT (!)

Abi
10-07-13, 04:53 PM
I had Redhat with X Windows back in 2002, on a partition.

I hated the GUI.

If you know of an implementation of Linux that has a GUI arbitarily identical to that of Windows, and similar implementations of elementary to intermediate admin functions (like MSConfig and RegEdit - does Linux even have anything similar to the Windows Registry or does it have something totally different?) then I'll gladly switch.

Abi
10-07-13, 04:56 PM
Also, if I ever go back to programming, my preferred language is C#.NET. Kinda a problem.

Abi
10-07-13, 04:58 PM
Also my present comp is a 4 year old laptop with a Core Duo at 2.10 GHz and 4 measly Gigs of RAM and onboard Intel Graphics, and finances are tight. Linux is resource-heavy.

Lunacie
10-07-13, 05:03 PM
I had an olivetti manual typewriter when i was a kid. I also had an olivetti word processor with a 1 line screen and a "daisy wheel".

You must be almost as old as I am. :giggle:

Abi
10-07-13, 05:05 PM
By "kid" I mean like 3. It was a hand me down.

ana futura
10-07-13, 05:21 PM
Did you ever have one of the really good Apple keyboards, which only came with their top-of-the-line computers from the late 80s or very early 90s?

My current keyboard is the same keyboard as an IBM model M (with the electronics updated to use USB), which is still manufactured by a small company in the US. It feels great. However, when I type it sounds as if someone is spilling a box of stainless-steel spoons. Not always the most popular. :)

I'm not sure I know that keyboard, can you find a picture? Is that performa era? I remember liking the one that came with our SE, but I didn't really type a whole lot back then.

Do you have a link to your current keyboard? I'm still looking for "the one"

Restless1
10-07-13, 06:15 PM
My first typing device was a huge Remington mechanical typewriter my mum got given. Typed my first job application covering letter and CV on it too!

I think it was better than my 48k Sinclair Spectrum with my mate's Sinclair thermal printer that used this grey paper rolls.

Abi
10-07-13, 06:45 PM
I also had a Sinclair Spectrum as a kid. The Olivetti typewriter was better.

darkknight89
10-07-13, 06:46 PM
I had Vista on my Desktop. It's TERRIBLE. The Desktop is too old to handle Win 7 so I put XP on it.

I hear Win 8 is sh** too.

I have Win 7 Ultimate on my laptop, its excellent and I will stick to it even when I can afford to replace this laptop. No Win 8 for me, maybe Win 9.

Win 8 isn't *that* horrible but it does force you to rethink how you use a computer with certain things. I actually quite like it now but I didn't always.

I would have to agree with the ones who said Internet Explorer. IE for me is the ultimate crap software.

Seeing as I'm typing this post on an iPad mini with a bluetooth keyboard case I unfortunately can't jump on that bandwagon. Sorry :P

dvdnvwls
10-07-13, 09:21 PM
Also my present comp is a 4 year old laptop with a Core Duo at 2.10 GHz and 4 measly Gigs of RAM and onboard Intel Graphics, and finances are tight. Linux is resource-heavy.
There's no need for it to be. You can set up a Linux system that demands less resources than Windows does. However, if you really do want the underlying details to be all the same (registry? You want to stay involved with one of the worst things about Windows?) then Linux won't suit you. (Linux doesn't use or need a registry at all, because it's designed in a better way.) In addition, while the things your computer can do are the same ones, there is no opportunity to use the exact same programs as you did on Windows. (Can you use a good word processor? Of course. Can you use Microsoft Word? No. Can you edit your photos? Absolutely. ...By using Adobe Photoshop? No. [One major exception is that Firefox and Thunderbird do work fine on Linux, because the developers of those programs have made it happen.])

If you're truly interested, I'd recommend this particular version (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2391) for someone new to Linux and whose machine is low on RAM. You would need either a DVD drive or a USB port on your machine in order to get this installed.

I can't offer long-term Linux support :) , but if you ever decide to try it and you want a hand getting it installed and running, then send me a PM.

Andi
10-07-13, 09:28 PM
I have had the same Dell laptop since 2006 and my blackberry since 2009. For the touchscreens I have long nails and can't seem to get them to work without hitting two letters at a time.

At work we went to Win7 and I'm not a fan, especially the whole, moving a doc and if it hits the top it expands across the desktop. Truly annoying.

BatBowey
10-09-13, 05:02 AM
Citrix and Direct X api....

dvdnvwls
10-09-13, 05:07 AM
Do you have a link to your current keyboard? I'm still looking for "the one"
http://pckeyboard.com/

dvdnvwls
10-09-13, 05:10 AM
I'm not sure I know that keyboard, can you find a picture? Is that performa era? I remember liking the one that came with our SE, but I didn't really type a whole lot back then.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Extended_Keyboard

dvdnvwls
10-09-13, 05:31 AM
I had Redhat with X Windows back in 2002, on a partition.

I hated the GUI.

If you know of an implementation of Linux that has a GUI arbitarily identical to that of Windows, ...
GUI on Linux has improved a great deal since 2002. And if you try a GUI and you don't like it, well, you can just install a new one without ruining your system, and try that one out. (If you have more than one GUI installed side by side, your log-in screen will allow you to choose whichever you want; to switch GUI all you do is log out, click the other check-box, and log back in.)

Linux GUIs: KDE used to have a reputation for being more Windows-like; it's highly configurable (more so even than Windows) and there's basically a control for everything. GNOME is very full-featured and very pretty but less configurable. Unity (the Ubuntu desktop but which you might also be able to install outside of Ubuntu) I'm not so familiar with, but I've seen it and it works fine. Mate and Cinnamon are from Linux Mint, both are based on being somewhat like different versions of GNOME. I used Cinnamon for a while and it was very nice. XFCE (which I recommended to you up-thread) uses less resources but still has enough features for efficient & effective use. It is very traditional and straightforward in style. There are others as well, including a whole category of minimal & nearly-featureless window managers for those who do most of their work at a command prompt, but essentially, KDE, GNOME, Mate, Cinnamon, and XFCE are "the big guns" at the moment. As mentioned, if you have the disk space you can install them all at once, and take your pick.

Fortune
10-09-13, 05:35 AM
I hate Firefox. I used to like it but they kept changing things and eventually it just became one big crashtastic mess.

I don't like Explorer but I don't hate it.

I know there is worse stuff I've used but I can't remember right now.

drdistracto
10-15-13, 08:05 AM
I would have to go with Internet Explorer. It introduced the backspace key for navigation, WITHOUT a modifier (like SHIFT or CTRL or ALT). If you are putting information into a web form and the text field loses focus (say you accidentally touch the laptop track pad) and you press backspace, it takes you back to the previous page and loses all your work!

What's even worse is that Mozilla and Google (and I think Apple too) copied that stupidity. I have lost countless hours of work due to that boneheaded idea. At least on Firefox you can easily turn it off in about:config. There's no easy way that I know of for Chrome.

Corina86
10-15-13, 11:42 AM
Linux sucks, especially Mint! Unless you are really really really passionate about computers and you can fix all the bugs and error, nothing ever works. And I don't mean just the thousand of programs that aren't compatible with Linux, but also the very features of this operating system itself: mine doesn't read almost any media, like my memory stick, my portable hard drive, my Ipod- nothing. Flash Player or whatever it uses has tones of errors and Firefox is always blocking my computer. I can't even begin to explain all the issues I'm having with it, but I'm just too cheap to buy Windows and an anti-virus.

Fraser_0762
10-15-13, 12:01 PM
Windows Vista is probably the biggest fail as far as software platforms go. It has too muched crammed into it. And the security notifications for every single thing you try to do on it, makes you wish it had a virus that would permanently break the damn thing.

For an individual piece of software. Windows Movie Maker is quite simply impossible.

dvdnvwls
10-15-13, 01:11 PM
Linux sucks, especially Mint! Unless you are really really really passionate about computers and you can fix all the bugs and error, nothing ever works. And I don't mean just the thousand of programs that aren't compatible with Linux, but also the very features of this operating system itself: mine doesn't read almost any media, like my memory stick, my portable hard drive, my Ipod- nothing. Flash Player or whatever it uses has tones of errors and Firefox is always blocking my computer. I can't even begin to explain all the issues I'm having with it, but I'm just too cheap to buy Windows and an anti-virus.
Agreed, with Flash on Linux. Bad news. The rest of it you can probably work out, using some distribution of Linux at least. Mint is nice but it has its limitations in terms of installing software that isn't on its official list. Oh, I just read again and you said iPod... there's never a guarantee that an Apple product will work, because they build them for Apple only and don't care about anyone else. With iPod and Flash I say "good luck, you're on your own, have fun!" - but if you want help with any of the rest of the issues, feel free to send me a PM and I'll do my best. No guarantees of course, but you can probably make those other things work.

dvdnvwls
10-15-13, 01:12 PM
Windows Vista is probably the biggest fail as far as software platforms go. It has too muched crammed into it. And the security notifications for every single thing you try to do on it, makes you wish it had a virus that would permanently break the damn thing.

It does already. ;)

Laserbeak
10-20-14, 05:35 AM
That's easy: Microsoft Windows.

Maurice
10-20-14, 01:16 PM
Apple. I made a huge mistake and bought this MacBook Pro. I had always heard how "intuitive" Apple products are, haha. I'll take almost any decent PC over this MacBook.

Same thing with smartphones. I always tell people that you could throw a hundred iphones in a bucket and nobody would have a clue as to who owned which one. They are all exactly alike. I prefer Android smartphones which really are "intuitive" at least to me. And now that I have taught myself how to root and unlock them, they are even better.

You can change just about anything on them to the way you like it. Delete bloatware or anything that came on the phone that you don't use or don't like. So much more individual than Apple ever dreamed of.

Hathor
10-20-14, 04:38 PM
I don't know about apple, with the price of their hardware the software better be far better.

As for windows/linux, aside from [probably] being keylogged out of the box I don't see what is so bad about windows. The OS itself may have problems, but photoshop and jriver > gimp and clemintine in a HUGE way, so let them eat cake.

Laserbeak
10-21-14, 01:55 AM
No, Windows isn't bad... as long as you think this is the way an operational system should look:

http://imageshack.com/a/img904/7057/imCWRL.png

Hathor
10-21-14, 05:30 PM
well good thing I am not running a baggage claim here ;^)

RobboW
10-21-14, 08:21 PM
I find the whole "Apple versus the rest" thing a bit funny.

It's like a brainwashing and people become Apple sheep.

I like whatever works. Win Vista didn't work, pile of garbage. Win7 does work. It's usually some other application that you installed that will break something.
I like Linux but it's program compatibility (or lack of) that makes it hard to use as a daily driver OS.

iOS locks you out of your system, same on a desktop or a phone. You can use it, but don't try to change anything.....
We have a mac laptop here at work. I was looking at the settings to try and diagnose why the picture to our projector would not work properly, but there are almost no settings to look at. Locked out. Ridiculous. On a PC I have half a chance of fixing things. Not with an Apple product.

I like my Android phone because I can root it and customise as much as I want, de-bloat carrier crud, remove un-needed system apps, install customisations etc etc. I don't think a jailbroken iPhone would allow that still. Or should that be an iBend? Lol.

BTW, do you know that Linux and iOS are kind of similar?

Android phones are basically made from Linux.

Windows phone is fail. Microsoft should just stay away from phones, lol.

Stevuke79
10-21-14, 08:35 PM
iOS, Safari, iTunes, .. I don't want to pick on apple and I'm trying to think bad non-apple software.

I would have said windows but I find windows 7 to be the best operating system I've ever used.
Mozilla, (that may be the worst), power point presentations are the worst (power point has other uses though),..

Laserbeak
11-08-14, 11:05 AM
BTW, do you know that Linux and iOS are kind of similar?

Yes.

iOS is based on Mac OS X, and they both have a Berkeley Systems Distribution (BSD) UNIX-based subsystem. Linux is a free clone of UNIX. The main other branch is AT&T System V Release 4, which is what Solaris (Sun OS) is now built on (it used to be built on BSD too a long time ago).

Laserbeak
11-08-14, 11:15 AM
I would have said windows but I find windows 7 to be the best operating system I've ever used.

I don't understand how anyone can like any release of Windows. To me, they're all pure crap. :umm1:

But to each his own, I still respect you. :grouphug:

aeon
10-07-17, 11:11 PM
Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The only thing that I ever use it for is to download Chrome right after I have installed Win7 or Win10.

---

I use Macs running Mac OS, PCs running Windows, and a PC running Linux at work. The Linux box just dutifully performs routine tasks, so I don't use it much after setting it up. Front office is mainly Macs, a few PCs (my computer is an ancient PC with upgrades running Win7Pro), and production is entirely Macs with the exception of a workflow server PC I built that run Windows Server 2008, and the control heads attached to various imaging devices. There's also a legacy system running SCO UNIX.

I manage and support them all.

And when needed, I help people with their iPhone or Android.

I have my preferences, and each system has things to recommend it, as well as things that make me swear.

But ultimately, they are tools to get work done, so as long as they are the right tools for the job and they obey and do my bidding, they are welcome.

---

I used to say Win7 4Evah, and I still think overall it is the best version of Windows.

That said, I am really starting to like Windows 10. Part of that is the OS...and part of that is the breathless performance of NVMe...it makes even a throttled dual-core i3 box a pleasure to use for office work, both typical and heavy.

---

I'm going to try to get an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S into my office PC. It's not supposed to work, but I think I can get it to work, even if that involves dirty work like hacking the BIOS. And if it doesn't work, I'm only out a few $, and I can probably resell the processor for no money lost. And if I brick the thing on account of flashing the BIOS or other tomfoolery, I will just say it died and get a new computer.

It's not a bad machine given its age, with its SSDs, nVidia GTX950, and gig NIC...but having addressed those issues, I have to try to upgrade a previous upgrade...the Core 2 Duo E8500 just doesn't cut it any longer. I'm hoping a Core 2 Quad will soothe me until there is money for a replacement.

---

So yeah, I rambled a bit. I just like computers of all shapes and sizes.

But I've always hated Microsoft Internet Explorer. It used to render poorly (that may have changed, I dont know), and for so long it was a security risk, and that has not changed.

And by association, Microsoft Edge has been summarily ignored.

MSIE...I just ******* hate it with a passion.

Cheers,
Ian