View Full Version : college athlete experiencing unwanted weightloss

rower132
10-10-13, 05:15 AM
Hey guys, so I am new here so I will give a brief description of how I became diagnosed with adhd:

I was always an active kid growing up. Parents got divorced when I was an infant and I grew up with my my. Saw my father during the summers as he lived in Indiana and me my mother and step dad lived in massachusetts. So I decided to try living with my actual father 8th grade through 12th grade...probably the worst 5 years of my life. My father expected a lot from me. If my grades slipped it was not good. He had been diagnosed as an adult with add, and he had speculated I might also have it but never acted on it to get me tested. Anyway, I went through some severe stages of depression, particularly senior year. My adhd affected me at home mostly. I was called lazy, completely disrespectful, you know, the usual. So I started to think there was something wrong with me as a person. Despite horrible difficulties in school I did well. Ended with a 3.5, 11 college credits, Honor's/AP etc. Come the end of senior year I decide to get out of there and go to college in Massachusetts (now at the present point in my life). My mother decided to have me checked out before college and low and behold, adhd. Now on to my question:

I have been taking adderall xr 20mg for about a month now. The changes in my life were like night and day. I feel like I have control over my life. I have yet to feel any inkling of depression, college is a breeze now that my brain works like its supposed to. I can focus in class without my mind wandering after 10 minutes, I can prioritize my weekly schedule and plan ahead. Long story short, this has been an answer to a prayer. However, there have been some side affects to which I am very curious and slightly worried about.

I am a freshman in college and on a D1 rowing team. That means practice 2 times a day for about 2 hours each. Both high intensity. Ever since starting this medication a month ago, I have lost over 10 lbs. I am 6' tall and WAS 174 lbs. I am now 162..after just a month. My appetite has decreased dramatically and when I do find the appetite, I can only manage a little food before I feel disgustingly full. If there are any athletes out there, you know how important your calories intake is. I feel week almost every day and my performance is lacking because of it. So my question is, what can I do? What should I be doing to get the necessary calories each day? Snack all day? Ideally, for this sport I want to be around 180. It is extremely difficult for me to build muscle right now. I should be taking in about 3700 calories for my activity level, let alone if I want to GAIN weight. I don't want to stop taking the adderall because it has completely turned my life around and its going great. Any help or advice or anything would be much appreciated

Thanks guys,
Taylor

dvdnvwls
10-10-13, 02:47 PM
Hi!

One suggestion if you're not already doing it is a massive breakfast (as big as most people's dinner) with more protein in it than the stereotypical breakfast. Getting that before your medication kicks in can really help. And if lunch is going to be small then it better be good food, right? Getting as much lunch as you can under the circumstances.

Now that you are more capable of being an organizer, analyzing your nutritional needs and making a plan of what to eat would probably be a good idea. Right now is the best your meds will ever work, and they may fade somewhat over time, so take full advantage of your capabilities to "get yourself set up now" for a better future over-all.

dvdnvwls
10-10-13, 02:51 PM
Also, if you are having ANY caffeine, cut it out. One of caffeine's side effects is lower appetite and (at high caffeine doses) even nausea; somehow, for a lot of people on Adderall or any other stimulant, the side effects of even just a little cup of coffee can be horrible. Definitely none of the "energy drinks" - they make you feel full when you're not. Also, anything high-sugar might buzz you and make you not want to eat.

rower132
10-10-13, 03:27 PM
So, my practice is at 6 am untill 9. Should i wait until after my practice and after breakfast? i try to eat the biggest breakfast i can but i cant go but a few bites in without feeling full/nauseus. what kind of a schedule should i be on, meal wise. i have read that many people experiencing this issure eat even when they do not feel hungry, and eat multiple, small meals/snacks throughout the day. is this something that i should do? if so at what time intervals?

dvdnvwls
10-10-13, 03:49 PM
So, my practice is at 6 am untill 9. Should i wait until after my practice and after breakfast? i try to eat the biggest breakfast i can but i cant go but a few bites in without feeling full/nauseus. what kind of a schedule should i be on, meal wise. i have read that many people experiencing this issure eat even when they do not feel hungry, and eat multiple, small meals/snacks throughout the day. is this something that i should do? if so at what time intervals?
There's no perfect solution, and I don't know the rest of your time-table. You need:

- healthy food, no junk food

- enough of it

- at times that work for you

- and to take your medication

- at times that make it effective.

Maybe you adjust your eating schedule for smaller more frequent meals, maybe you adjust your medication timings a bit - as an athlete you are aware of your body's good and bad reactions, and you have to just keep on changing and adjusting until you get something that really works.

Stevuke79
10-10-13, 04:02 PM
I've never been an athlete but I used to have a lot of difficulty gaining/maintaining weight when I worked out. Liquid calories helped a lot.. I kept drinking more and more until I improved and I was able to consume far more calories than my appetite would generally allow.