View Full Version : Useful Apps

MADD As A Hatte
10-11-13, 05:07 PM
I thought we could share useful apps (hopefully I'm not duplicating, I couldn't find this specifically in the threads).

To help with eliminating distraction at work or while studying, the "drunk dialling" apps are great - you can choose which contacts you want to bar for a period of time, from phone or text.

Don't Dial
DrunkDialNO
------

For automating tasks ... If This Then That. This links apps and regular IT that normally you can't automate e.g. save email attachments to your cloud drive. Or send yourself an SMS reminder for a calendar event. Tons of clever ways to set it up and very very easy to use.

IFTTT
----
Cheers

Snapdragon
08-02-14, 09:02 AM
Un***** your habitat is helpful for getting stuff done around the house.

kat_77
09-04-14, 11:37 AM
While working with my doctors to get my meds right, I wanted to keep a small diary of how I was feeling during them....not just remembering the crashing. I found "moment diary" for android not sure about ios. Its a cute calendar that you can add notes to, adjust the colors, add pictures, and tags. You can also password protect it. So far I love it, super simple and right on my phone so if I need to jot down a quick feeling. I am recording times I take my meds and doses so that if a pattern happens or at least I can see my responses during that day.

Hopefully someone else will find this useful..... and its free!

Chicky75
09-04-14, 11:44 AM
I use the Evernote app a lot for recording random things.

Also Flipp if you like sales - it collects online ads for a lot of major US stores like CVS and Target.

Mint app for tracking financial stuff. I just downloaded Mvelope last week, but the system is not intuitive to me and I haven't had time to figure it out.

Oh and the specific app I use is particular to Boston, but a "Where's my bus" app is crucial to me now!

gsueagle08
09-18-14, 07:51 PM
While working with my doctors to get my meds right, I wanted to keep a small diary of how I was feeling during them....not just remembering the crashing. I found "moment diary" for android not sure about ios. Its a cute calendar that you can add notes to, adjust the colors, add pictures, and tags. You can also password protect it. So far I love it, super simple and right on my phone so if I need to jot down a quick feeling. I am recording times I take my meds and doses so that if a pattern happens or at least I can see my responses during that day.

Hopefully someone else will find this useful..... and its free!

I actually do something Similar. I use Microsoft OneNote. It's free now but I was using back when it was just bundled with MS Office. I have a ADD notebook that I keep in SkyDrive/OneDrive or whatever it is called now.

That notebook is synced to my laptop, my desktop, my phone, and my surface Pro tablet. 99.99% of the time I have at least one of those devices with me. Most of the time I have at least two of those devices with me. Alot of times I will be writing code on my laptop and have my surface pro sitting on the table using OneNote to make notes on what I am working on. So flipping to that ADD Notebook and writing something down with the stylus is pretty easy.

Right now I'm basically just writing down what time I took the medicine, if there were any side-effects, how well I thought it was working. during the day if I felt that it faded I'd make a note, if it came back i'd make a note. I try to write down any thing that might be relevant (Did I drink lots of coffee today, did I have a carb heavy lunch etc.) did I do something that felt like made things easier, did something make things harder etc.

for Task management and daily life stuff, I use any.do. I like that it integrates with gmail, and I can make a todo item right from an email. For Project work or things that are a series of related Tasks, I use Trello. For Projects I use a Pseudo-Kanban system, where each task is represented by a card. and the screen has multiple customizable columns(I use Not Started, In progress, Holding, Done). For Really complex projects that have different task specific milestones I customize it to fit that project.

For Repetitive tasks that I repeat often I have a predefined template. The Best example of this is yesterday I had to apply an update and configuration change to about 10-15 servers. I have a template board created that has each of the steps setup as a column, and all the servers represented by a card that has their name, IP address, and Role on the card. as I completed each step on a server I moved it across the board. and Being that I'd start a server on each step and then move on to another server. This is really nice because If I had to switch to another task or go out for a bit, I could sit back down and see exactly where I left off at by just glancing at one screen. There is also a lot of research that shows that the act of checking something off a list or moving something into the completed column closes a feedback loop producing a positive feeling that makes you want to complete more tasks. Kanban is a really nice and interesting way of managing tasks and this book (http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Kanban-Mapping-Work-Navigating-ebook/dp/B004R1Q642/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411083611&sr=8-1&keywords=personal+kanban) is excellent. I've read less than half of it and have taken a great deal away from it, and learned things that were immediately useful.

Tangentially related apps are Nutrition and Fitness. I use MyFitnessPal, and have my Fitbit Ultra Activity tracker and Aria Scale sync to it.

I also use LastPass, it is a password manager that can sync between all of your devices, You have one good password that you put into LastPass, and then it will autofill all of your user names and passwords for every site that you tell it to remember. This is really useful because I have a million different accounts between different services all over the web. Also an added benefit of it is that your master password never leaves your computer so it can not be grabbed by a hacker, and then because you do not have to remember every single password you can use long complex and unique passwords for each site. Which is a plus from a security stand point.

The last one that I am starting to use is an app called rescue time. You put it on your phone, computer, tablet etc, and tracks how much time you spend on each website, or in each application. Then it shows you exactly how much time you are spending doing various things like (social media, entertainment, or work related stuff).