View Full Version : Rotator Cuff Tear, Tendinitis and/or Bone Spur Inquiry

Unmanagable
10-12-13, 02:21 AM
Any members had rotator cuff issues?

I want to get an arm sling to stabilize mine for when I'm active because I keep forgetting not to use it, reflexive response hurts like hell, it's in my dominant arm, it gets down into my wrist and hand area sometimes and then I can't even open a can of whoop a** if I had to. lol

I'm going to schedule p/t the first of next week and I'm going to inquire about acupuncture/reiki/massage therapy.

Anyone have any helpful hints about wearing the arm sling, suggest a specific type, or will any material work to make my own?

I'm allergic to pain. HELP! :giggle:

Amtram
10-12-13, 10:22 AM
PT is your best option, but if it doesn't help (I hate to say it) surgery might end up being your best treatment. It depends on what exactly it is. Have you seen an Orthopedist yet?

I have arthritis in one shoulder, and with PT, I dramatically increased my range of motion without pain. Surgery for arthritis in that joint is complex and doesn't have guaranteed results, so my doctor doesn't want to rush on that. However (because of my age. . .sigh) I know several people who had rotator cuff injuries that were helped immensely with surgery. It's one of those things that can either heal up fine on its own or heal up horribly on its own, so you really need a professional opinion and probably some MRIs.

Lunacie
10-12-13, 12:06 PM
I'd be happy to send you the arm sling I wore after breaking my long arm
bone near the shoulder several years ago. It's just taking up room in my
dresser drawer.

A few months ago I had tendonitis in my dominant hand. Not much advice
from the doctor so I did what is always recommended, RICE: rest, ice,
compression, elevation.

An ace bandage was cheaper than a hand splint, but I had an allergic
reaction to something in the ace bandage so that ended the compression.
Got lucky and found a hand splint at an estate auction a couple of weeks
later for cheap. Using that made a big difference because of the reflexive
tendency to use that hand.

Good luck, and I'm serious about the arm sling.

Unmanagable
10-12-13, 05:00 PM
Thanks so much for the offer Lunacie, but someone local hooked me up today. I really appreciate your kindness.

I haven't been to an ortho yet. I figured I'd chat with the p/t folks first. That damn age thing bites. lol

I worked the farmer's market in the rain today and got soaked to the bone, so now all the stuff that wasn't hurting before has now joined in. Grrrrr.....

Got a full frickin' body sling, by any chance, Lunacie? lol

Lunacie
10-12-13, 06:13 PM
Thanks so much for the offer Lunacie, but someone local hooked me up today. I really appreciate your kindness.

I haven't been to an ortho yet. I figured I'd chat with the p/t folks first. That damn age thing bites. lol

I worked the farmer's market in the rain today and got soaked to the bone, so now all the stuff that wasn't hurting before has now joined in. Grrrrr.....

Got a full frickin' body sling, by any chance, Lunacie? lol

Sorry, wouldn't share that if I did have one. I need it myself. ;)
I think I'm probably older and in worse shape than you are. :giggle:
Good luck with the PT. :)

Unmanagable
07-25-15, 03:27 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to follow up and happily report that my shoulder issues have healed as far as pain relief and restored function via a combination of acupuncture, massage and reflexology therapy, and cleaning up what I ingest. I have not had follow up MRIs to see the structure because they are f'n expensive, and as long as I feel and function better, I'm good. PT wouldn't agree to work with me until after surgery.

The surgeon was adamant that nothing, absolutely nothing, would bring me relief other than a complete shoulder replacement. He said I had no cartilage left between my ball and socket, along with several tears in the rotator cuff. It was described as being the bones of an 86 yr. old instead of a 46 yr old. Well, surprise, surprise!!!

I couldn't lift my arm, pick up objects heavier than a juice glass, would be woken up in the middle of the night multiple times due to the pain, and had to use my other arm to compensate, and started feeling the same pains developing from over use. Thinking I was screwed and would ultimately need both of them replaced.

I'll be going by their office to pick up copies of the surgeon's notes next week. I'm going to demonstrate the restored function and explain how I've healed where other patients can hear me and hopefully someone else may benefit and realize there just might be another option for relief vs. going under the knife. Surgeons are trained in surgery, not offering options.

sarahsweets
07-25-15, 04:37 AM
I get these lidocain patches for my back but Ive used them on other sore spots and its helped. It beats narcotics as far as harm reduction goes.

psychopathetic
07-25-15, 07:53 AM
Ha! That's awesome!! Love how the doc was so convinced you couldn't be healed naturally! :D :yes:

(((Un-Uns)))

Lunacie
07-25-15, 12:48 PM
sarahsweets

My daughter was given lidocaine patches for an injury, said they didn't help.
I tried one, and it as terrific for me. Wish I didn't need a script to get more.

psychopathetic

I just read an article on MSN about alternative treatments that really work.
Dr. Weil (used to be surgeon general) says accupuncture works very well
for some things. I know it relieved my chronic daily migraines years ago.

So I'm not surprised that accupuncture, massage and reflexology have helped
with your rotator cuff pain. Glad to hear you're doing better.

Unmanagable
07-25-15, 12:53 PM
Thanks a bunch, y'all. I've also been fortunate enough to escape gall bladder surgery, as well, thus far. A trip to the ER on easter sunday resulted in yet another recommendation for surgery, but after doing a gall bladder cleanse with the help of a friend who already had experience with it, severe diet changes, and acupuncture, once again, I escaped the knife. I may end up in a surgical situation before I leave this existence, but not as long as I have an option.

Unmanagable
07-27-15, 04:48 PM
So, I picked up the surgeon's notes from my visits and I'm so incredibly fired the f*** up, and, once again, validated regarding the overall incompetency of so many of these people who are supposed to be HELPING others in a transparent and honest fashion. It makes my heart sick.

GO ASK FOR YOUR RECORDS. Don't blindly accept the verbal interactions.

According to what he told me verbally, surgery would be my only hope of ever getting full relief. He said he highly recommended it and wasn't up for discussing any other options. He mentioned steroid injections, of course, but other than that, nothing.

According to his report, it states, "At this point, I do not believe surgery or formal therapy is needed." WTF? He also told me I had several tears in my rotator cuff. According to the report, it states, "There is some inflammation in the cuff, but no full-thickness tear." WTF? I am totally blown away by this and quite perplexed at the moment. I have no f'n way of proving that what he told me totally contradicts what he wrote in his report.

Hmmmm.......I wonder if the doc would be willing to have lunch with me to discuss it? Hahahahaha!!! I'll be glad to foot the bill for his lunch like the pharmaceutical companies do. I need to go take a few deep breaths and collect my raging thoughts.

I'm infuriated that the only people who supposedly hold these f'rs accountable are the same ones who are allowing all this crap to go on as it does. Unless you, as a patient, can afford to pay someone to hold them accountable to you, you're pretty much s*** out of luck in ensuring you're receiving competent and honest care. Grrrrrrrrrr

Lunacie
07-27-15, 07:16 PM
Makes me wonder if he read someone else's report before talking to you.

Maybe I'm cutting him too much slack. I've had some bad lying docs myself.

dvdnvwls
07-27-15, 09:00 PM
I don't know about the rest, but as for the gall bladder cleanse, unless you injected MTBE (a gasoline additive for dissolving engine deposits) directly into your gall bladder, the "cleanse" did nothing to your gallstones. Anything that travels through your digestive system on its way to the gall bladder (juices, oils, acids, etc) has zero potential ability to do anything to a gallstone - except increase its size. :(

Unmanagable
07-27-15, 09:05 PM
I didn't inject that s*** into my body, obviously. Whatever took place as a result of what I did has kept me out of the operating room thus far. I'll take it. I've learned to listen to my body over the opinions of others, and most professionals, at this point, too. It's incredibly unnerving.

dvdnvwls
07-27-15, 09:13 PM
I didn't inject that s*** into my body, obviously. Whatever took place as a result of what I did has kept me out of the operating room thus far. I'll take it. I've learned to listen to my body over the opinions of others, and most professionals, at this point, too. It's incredibly unnerving.

I don't doubt that you've kept yourself out of the operating room; it's just that in the gallstone case it wasn't because you did anything to the gallstones, which are still all there and still all the same size or bigger than before. Whatever that "cleanse" did, what it definitely didn't do is precisely the thing it's supposed to do.

Unmanagable
07-27-15, 09:24 PM
Perhaps it cleared everything else to allow for better flow of the rest of the stuff that was creating such a feisty back up?