View Full Version : What does being Bipolar feel like?

rainontheground
10-12-13, 10:45 PM
What about bipolar and adhd?

I'm still trying to figure out if I have Bipolar/ADHD, or if I just need to try harder.

I feel more me on bipolar meds. Is that the way it works?

Not on ADHD meds at the moment.

ana futura
10-13-13, 01:36 AM
I think sometimes it is really hard to tease the two apart, and sometimes they happen together.

People with ADHD can have a lot of issues with emotional regulation, making them appear bipolar, and people with bipolar can have a lot of the ADHD symptoms too.

I think it's best just to go with whichever medication works best for you. There are people with ADHD who take bipolar medication, and some people with Bipolar who take ADHD medication.

Once you've settled on medication(s) that work for you, the process for learning to manage outbursts and dealing with trauma will be the same, whether you have ADHD or bipolar.

Read up more on both disorders, and see what resonates with you. But don't get fixated on either, always stay focused on the end goal, which is "What do I need to do to get better?"

In my experience, my particular combination of ADHD, unrecognized PTSD symptoms, and untreated GAD and MDD looked a lot like bipolar when I first started taking ADHD meds. The meds were great while they where active, and everything went to hell when they wore off.

Once I successfully dealt with the issues that were causing the PTSD type symptoms, (through a combination of therapy and meditation), my emotional regulation issues resolved themselves almost overnight. I haven't had an anger outburst since. I'm still anxious and/or depressed sometimes, but I'm getting a lot better there too.

But as far as what's going on with you, there's no way for any of us to say. One professional might give you one dx, and another will give you another dx (as you have seen first hand)

I think ADHD C and Bipolar 2 and Cyclothymia are all very closely related genetically anyway. The only really important reason for separating them out is to determine what medication will work best, and medication is all a crap shoot anyway.

Keep in mind that no matter what your disorder is, unresolved traumas can and will hamper your treatment.

Working through what's in your past (with the help of a professional) will help you to be able to better manage your emotions, no matter what is going on with you.

fracturedstory
11-03-13, 11:04 PM
Loneliness. Anger. Elation.

sabotender
03-22-14, 05:20 AM
After having been diagnosed with both, I really don't know which is which anymore. But I fared better receiving ADD treatment, and although my quality of life did improved with bipolar treatment, it was somewhat less effective, but it helped me in ways before I went really crazy. I was insensitive to danger, and often did things without caution. I cannot control my emotions either, and can go from euphoria to suicidal in split seconds. Perhaps that was why they put me down as bipolar, but apparently ADD also had such mood swing symptoms, so it's a bit of a grey area here and I don't really know which I had. However I have minor episodes of hallucinations, since childhood (but again I don't know how common is it for children to materialize imagination; but in my case it seemed to get worse as I aged) to which the doctor says is not a feature of ADD. But I don't always relate that closely to traditional bipolar experiences either.