View Full Version : The ultimate ADD and Anxiety related solution

Doparfin
10-13-13, 03:58 PM
Hello everyone, ive been an inactive searcher through the web, but without having the energy to actually get an account(remember, ADHD).

I'm a medical student, soon into the world of being a neurology.

By the scientific books, I must admit that only primary data are useful or effective. It's still coring around serotnonin for anxiety issues, depression bla bla bla. I've known to realize that the ultimate treatment lies beyond the primary resources such as books. In my opinion, we mustn't know the action of a certain drug on a certain neurotransmitter, but know how the drug affects the subtype of neurotransmitter and its correlation to the whole brain, which are mainly GABA and Glutamine, in essence.

I will throughout my jorney, post the most ambitious and planned road into finding the best treatment which most of us are dealing with.

So i've got AD(H)D and GAD. Been trying a plethora of drugs. Start with the small guns consisting of natural resources, vitamin complex's, Nootropics from the racetam family, certain antioxidant with interesting CNS action.

None of these, atleast for me, induces me to the person I could be. But from the small guns, only Curcumin(+Fishoil) seems to be most interesting and of value to include later on.

Out of the big guns i've tried are methylphenidate meaning Concerta, Medikinet, Ritalin LA/SL, Wellbutrin, Zoloft. The methylphenidates was just a wack type of experience. The paranoia, mood swings, jittery and anxiety it gave me was horrible. It's like being worried, and anxious to the point its ridiculous and for no reason other than M-PH doing its thing. I Know there are a certain amount of people whom trust by the effectiveness of Methylphenidates. But one has to realize that a fortune was made to pharmaceutical people whom proposed a mixture of illegal amphetamine and cocaine into a legalized crap that M-PH is.

Now, after my background, comes my experience.

I've took things into my own hands and decided to start upon Vyvanse, Memantine, Curcumin initially and see how it goes. These three are of particular interest as the awful side-effects of Vyvanse is believed to be due to oxidative stress leading to excess glutamat content and so forth. I'm off to sleep and this is the first day, so tomorrow comes more.

Until 'morw I hope you'll get your asses and tune into my thread.

It's going to be a road with us, horribly-treated ADHD folks against the world. Join me. Experiment with me. Learn with me.

:):)

ana futura
10-13-13, 04:19 PM
How did you arrive at curcumin? You mean the stuff from Turmeric, right?

Also, you might want to check out focalin sometime. I think a lot of the issues people have with mph come from the levo side. Ritalin was horrible, dirty feeling drug to me. Focalin (at the correct dose) is so clean I can't even tell I've taken it- but it works. At a too high dose it's super jittery inducing though

ana futura
10-13-13, 04:20 PM
You should check out L theanine as well if you haven't already.

The single best treatment I have found for anxiety is a combo of meditation and CBT.

Doparfin
10-13-13, 05:00 PM
Please note that meditation and CBT might be of value, but in my current state, placebo-esque treatments are preferably ignored.

Focalin is unavailable in our country. But the most interesting aspect doesn't lie in the significance of the positioned isomers. In fact, I believe from a pharmacological standpoint, it's irrelevant.

What I am trying to get at is increase in MAO's, in essence Serotonin, Noradrenalin and Dopamine(neurotransmitter at issue) does a secondary action which induces anxiety, paranoia. One aspect of it is temporary "inflammation" in the glutaminergic system, which Curcumin's criticaly comes in hand due to BNDF mechanism as an anti-inflammatory agent.

I've been on Memantine for 4 days now, and if my theories are correct, I think I've found the cause of this, or solution to fix it. 5 mg Daily of Memantine, 600 mg of 95% Curcumin, but still awaiting my Vyvanse prescription.

ana futura
10-13-13, 05:52 PM
Neither are placebo-esque, look at the current research before you dismiss them. They both work very well along side chemical treatment, no reason you can't attack your anxiety with every method available to you.

If your current state is that bed, that is all the more reason to incorporate as many methods as you can.

Doparfin
10-14-13, 03:39 AM
First of all, meditation is giving you a physical calm, as opposite to a mental calmness. And my anxiety is not physically related but mentally. There might be something in CBT and meditation, but the anxiety is so great that high-level measures in terms of medication is initially the best way to go.

I must say that Caffeine is one dirty drug. I've come to realize that anxious people should minimize their intake of Caffeine. And today, I'm going to increase memantine to 10 mg/day taken twice daily (11 am and 11 pm) 12 hours apart. Still no significant change.

someothertime
10-14-13, 09:51 AM
Neurofeedback

Lunacie
10-14-13, 11:28 AM
First of all, meditation is giving you a physical calm, as opposite to a mental calmness. And my anxiety is not physically related but mentally. There might be something in CBT and meditation, but the anxiety is so great that high-level measures in terms of medication is initially the best way to go.

I must say that Caffeine is one dirty drug. I've come to realize that anxious people should minimize their intake of Caffeine. And today, I'm going to increase memantine to 10 mg/day taken twice daily (11 am and 11 pm) 12 hours apart. Still no significant change.

Meditation is certainly harder for those with ADHD, but it can benefit both
mentally and physically.

I've had severe anxiety my whole life and finally began taking Zoloft a
couple of years ago, and also did a class on CBT for anxiety and depression.
I believe both were helpful, probably more so as a combination than either
would have been alone.

I've been taking fish oil for over 10 years and am one of the few who find it
very effective. Of course it's a treatment, not a cure, and doesn't improve
my ADHD 100%. No medication can do that either.

Doparfin
10-14-13, 12:26 PM
Lunacie // Sure, I've been taking Zoloft too. And Wellbutrin(Voxra/Bupropion). And Mirtazapin. All of them were in my case useless and close to junk. Apart from Zoloft whom took me perhaps 3-4 months until I felt some effects, which were minimal. Remember, I do exercise at the gym and do not sit on my *** and complain 'til I get a miracle drug. There's only one solution to slackers whom feel everything's ****. Euphoria, induced by opiates for a couple of hours, or other sedatives and anastethics.

Zoloft made me go up 25 pounds in just a number of months. Lethargy, apathy, and restlessness was something I became accustomed to. And these side effects aren't something I could tolerate in my current state.

Wellbutrin was just like taking caffeine, yawn yawn yawn, vasoconstriction, and generalized anxiety that soon became painful to even take.

So as you now might realize, I'm not fully into the idea of finding a medication that takes me into a perfect state of mind. But all I ask for is to take something that pushes me without feeling like crap.

And due to my huge amount of trial and errors on medication and particularly those that affect MAO's, I'm now convinced that the theory about serotonin relieving anxiety is just non-sense. I Just feel like Memantine might give me some hope, and in case it is good, I want to help other people reading and following this thread to not lose 2-3-4 years of their life into SSRIs and other **** that only helps a limited amount of people(I bet those people get relief from water too).

Doparfin
10-14-13, 03:33 PM
*** UPDATE ***

So here's an update:

In one hour, I'll take an additional 5 mg of memantine, thus increasing to a total amount of 10 mg / day. So far, luckily, i havent experienced any significant side effect apart from a slight dizziness/brain fog from the first two days. In comparison to SSRIs and other AD/Anti-convulsant/Anti-psychotics, the titration phase is heaven in the case of memantine.

I must say, although placebo may be talking, that I am expressing myself slightly better in writing today. There seem to be a lesser amount of overall/generalized anxiety too. It's promising, and very encouraging. But I must add that placebo might have a word or two in that.

Here's a study of interest. We know for certain that stimulants causes oxidative stress, thus correlating to the anxiety and neural damage as a result. These are just two cases of many. This following report provides the same initial hypothesis I did when first, starting memantine.

"Many neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer's (AD), Parkinson's (PD) and Huntington's diseases (HD), are caused by different mechanisms but may share a common pathway to neuronal injury as a result of the overstimulation of glutamate receptors. It has been suggested that this pathway can be involved in generation of cognitive deficits associated with normal aging. Previous studies performed in our laboratory have demonstrated that aged rats presented recognition memory deficits. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effect of memantine, a low-affinity N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist, on age-induced recognition memory deficits. Additionally, parameters of oxidative damage in cerebral regions related to memory formation were evaluated. In order to do that, male Wistar rats (24 months old) received daily injections of saline solution or memantine (20 mg/kg i.p.) during 21 days. The animals were submitted to a novel object recognition task 1 week after the last injection. Memantine-treated rats showed normal recognition memory while the saline group showed long-term recognition memory deficits. The results show that memantine is able to reverse age-induced recognition memory deficits. We also demonstrated that memantine reduced the oxidative damage to proteins in cortex and hippocampus, two important brain regions involved in memory formation. Thus, the present findings suggest that, at least in part, age-induced cognitive deficits are related to oxidative damage promoted by NMDA receptor overactivation."

Doparfin
10-15-13, 06:28 AM
*** Status Report ***

Just increased from 5 daily to 10 mg daily, taken twice daily. So hard to tell, but I feel slightly stimulated, anxiety has gone up, so has agitation. Although, it's tolerable and not so uncomfortable. Maybe it because I learnt that Ive got an assignment to report come Thursday(in 2 days). Might be the stress and adrenaline talking. However, there appears to be a side effect relating to agitation, but just slight. Most importantly, the side effects are not as uncomfortable and annoying compared to amphetamine derivatives, SSRIs and so forth.

Modafinilguy
01-07-14, 12:41 AM
I constantly recommend this.

But take a look at the receptor profile of Abilify.

Firstly it is a partial dopamine agonist, so usually does NOT reduce dopamine much in moderate does (blocking dopamine sucks)

It is a 5-ht1a partial agonist, 5-ht2a antagonist, complex effects on 5-ht2c, and antagonist of 5-ht7.

If you do a search on pub med for these receptors you will realize- ALL these serotonin receptor effects are correlated with anti-depressant/anti-anxiety action and emotion regulating effects, they seemingly all effect areas of the prefrontal cortex.

Abilify has changed my entire emotional composition from strongly unstable to rock solid stable.

Standard anti-depressants, such as SSRI's crudely agonize all serotonin receptors, and obviously agonizing some serotonin receptors (many of the like 5-ht7) produces NEGATIVE effects. Some of these receptors when activates deactivate dopamine, noradrenalin and other neurotransmitters. Some of them increase the cAMP mechanism, and also various of them reduce prefrontal cortex activity, at least in specific regions.

If you look at the latest and greatest new antidepressant (next gen), Vortioxetine.

You will noticethat it has a simular serotonin receptor profile to Abilify, indeed Abilify may even be superior.

Read up on these receptors, they are highly implicated in depression, stress, anxiety, etc.

Just my advice. I STRONGLY believe that specific targeting of serotonin sub-receptors, is the next era of anti-depressant/emotional disorder treatment, as evidenced by the anti-depressant I referenced, I am not the only one thinking in this direction.

DiscombobulatYa
06-24-14, 10:08 PM
Does Medicare cover Memantine?

Mrs Miggins
07-21-14, 08:21 AM
Modafinil Guy & Doparfin would you say Abilify &/or Memantine could be taken along side Dexamfetamine? I get Dex from my psych & think it helps a lot but I definitely need something else to help me with my mood. Im kind of ok at the moment but I do go up & down & am far too reactive sometimes, anxious at other times, worrying what people think of me etc etc. I used to take Prozac (pre ADHD diagnosis) which i just loved but it made me fall over (cue broken ribs, cuts on face & more) & the sexual side effects are awful & so Id need to take welbutrin too. Cant see my relatively conservative psychiatrist going for that lot all at the same time. Other SSRIs make me eat & being fat is just not worth it.

What side effects do they have? What do they do for you? Being diagnosed & getting medication is all very well & good but when you are still left with great big holes in how you feel & function its really not fun. Im in the UK so no idea if they even use these over here. Ive gone private but my guy does NHS most of the week so may not be very up to date with the latest & greatest meds...