View Full Version : Why would therapy be needed?

CCSU04
03-04-05, 09:43 PM
I just joined this forum and have a couple questions about treatment for ADD. I am not yet diagnosed but have an appointment with a psychiartist next friday. I know if i am diagnosed the doctor will probably give me some meds. and I will have to go back to him to tell him how I am doing. But from what i have been reading is that many people do some type of therapy to deal with the problems caused by ADD. I am wondering what were the reasons people felt they needed therapy to deal with their problems. ADD (if I have it) effects my life with school, some relationship problems (mainly family), and I think I may have an eating disorder (I have heard from some it is related). So if people who are in therapy because of problems with ADD tell me why it would be needed. It just seems that therapy wouldn't really work for me.

-Emily-

auntchris
03-07-05, 02:27 AM
Hi Emily....good to see you thinking about things. I have always been told that Counselling can help you sort thru feeling and help you deal with those feelings. I am in counseling now I have not been with this therapist long my therapist had to leave cause of medical reasons, so I am just starting with her.

Counselling takes a lot of courage and patience. YOU have to be willing to open up and become vunerable. The medication can help you deal with emotions and feeling to get thru some of this road map and let you have a more clear picture of things while you are working on them in counselling. Okay this is my opinion, and that is all it is hun. I hope this helps give it a chance you have noting to lose only some insight to gain from it. auntchris

KnittingJunkie
03-11-05, 11:48 PM
Sometimes people grow up with ADD, and the whole time, depending on what their symptoms are (or how severe they are) they feel all dysfunctional, or defective, or stupid, or something like that. That builds up over the years and in many cases they just start to think they're hopeless. Gets worse if others comment on it in adulthood or in childhood...

Then, one day, voila, they're diagnosed with ADD, are able to think clearly for the first time when they begin treatment...and still have that yucky little low-self-esteem thing that's been there for sooo long.

I'll provide an illustration: took me three years to pass Algebra I with a D. Seriously. That could potentially mess with someone's self-worth, am I right?

Chrys

mctavish23
03-24-05, 09:05 AM
CCSUO4,

Welcome to the Forum.Those were all excellent posts.When you get a chance, please check out this book, I think you'll like it: You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid Or CrazY ? by Kate Kelly & Peg Ramundo.

Good luck:)

Nucking_Futs
03-24-05, 09:11 AM
Hi CC,

Therapy made a large difference in my life because I spent half my life in ignorance of my ADHD and was led by general society to believe that I was one either crazy or two lazy. There were a lot of painful memories I had to work thru before I could concentrate on putting my best foot forward.

For my children who were dx'd early in life therapy helps give them an outlet all their own, were their feelings and thoughts are sacred and treated with the respect they deserve. They are allowed to talk their way thru an issue without being directed by someone else's views. They have also witnessed bullying due to their add. Also, ADD is often followed by co-morbids such as depression, eating disorders, low self esteem, anger, etc.

QueensU_girl
01-30-09, 10:18 AM
re:#1

#1.
After delayed diagnosis in adulthood, it is common for people to experience a lot of ANGER and grieving and sadness at the losses due to underachievement and frustration.

Many of ADDults have lost YEARS of productivity in work, relationships, earnings, career status, frustration, feeling misunderstood.

Report cards and job performance evaluations say things like: 'you aren't trying hard enough'; 'Jane fails to apply herself'; 'she is lazy [classic Executive Dysfunction]'; 'she does not listen in class' [auditory processing] etc. It is hard to read Bad Reports and get this feedback from Teachers and Bosses.

No wonder some kids have problems with criticism from Authority Figures, huh?

---
Also, many ADDers, due to chronic failings and underachievement, experience anxiety and depression. When things often (a) fall apart or (b) blow up in your face, it is rather hard to stay emotionally healthy.

#3.
Bullying can also be an issue. I know that growing up I often had bad kids blame things on me, or get me into trouble. I would be confused and left holding the bag or blame.

--

Does any of this fit your experience?

meridian
12-16-09, 12:51 AM
I'm going to add that this has been my year to finally get on correct meds and start therapy again (I just turned 59).

In my experience I have needed and benefitted greatly from doing both. Previously I've done one without the other and the results have never been anywhere near as good as the results I am experiencing now.

I once thought it was all just chemical imbalances until I realized the astounding power that our thoughts have on our well being.

My experience and advice is DO BOTH! and wish you the best of luck in your quest to get well!

Trooper Keith
12-16-09, 02:37 AM
In addition to helping individuals adjust to their diagnosis, counselors can also help individuals develop coping skills to overcome their disabilities and function more normally. Mental health counselors especially have a theoretical emphasis on wellness and development, and would help an individual come up with strategies to function better.

On the whole, though, counseling is completely ineffective for treating actual symptoms of ADHD.

meridian
12-17-09, 11:12 PM
On the whole, though, counseling is completely ineffective for treating actual symptoms of ADHD.

Perhaps "counseling alone" would be ineffective, but in conjunction with the right meds and a correct diagnosis, I've found that the act of being in therapy is very helpful in getting at some of the core issues I have in life.

Perhaps this is addressing a co-morbid issue, but for me at least, the process is helpful. Ideas are extremely powerful.

"No things but in ideas" as the poet William Carlos Williams wrote.

(In fact I think I'll change my sig line to that.)

Legault
12-18-09, 10:36 AM
Have you tried it or do you just think it won't work? I used to think it wouldn't because it seemed like a hassle (thus I thought reasons not to). They forced me to see one eventually, that was when I was diagnosed.

They help me personally because I often self-reason my way into corners, they also give advice about how to go about certain things, how to feel...that more than anything.