View Full Version : Anyone else. Vvyanse makes me not drink, smoke etc.

Pop sparkles
10-16-13, 10:56 PM
Does anyone else have the experience with their meds....when i take my vyansene I do not particularly have the urge to drink, smoke, etc.

When I DON'T take it I have an urge to to seek out drinking etc. I typically refuse the urge...but have noticed the pattern.

dvdnvwls
10-16-13, 11:16 PM
This makes sense. Vyvanse makes drinking boring (and also dangerous if done wrong), and Vyvanse probably makes you not want nicotine as much.

Nicksgonefishin
10-17-13, 01:52 AM
Adderall has taken away my urge to drink. But increased my smoking. But has helped with the impulses when trying to quit smoking. It makes sense. Both are impulses. If I take a med specifically for impulse control and then don't have impulses or can keep them in check the mess us found its job. A pleasant unintended side effect.

blondie65
10-17-13, 08:46 PM
My son took Vyvanse but the doc took him off of it because my son had some rage issues. I have never seen my son as focused but he still has rage (bipolar)issues and the doctor won't put my son back on it until he gets a level reading for the newly prescribed Lithium. My son does not like the Lithium so he won't take it. So, we're kind of at a crossroad. Any feedback?
Thanks.

Flory
10-17-13, 09:15 PM
My meds make me smoke like a chimney something about dex and smoking together seems amazing to my stupid lizard brain

DeeBird
11-18-13, 04:06 PM
I haven't noticed a difference in my smoking habits on my meds (generic quick-release methylphenidate), but I have been a 1/2 pack to 1 pack a day smoker for almost four years. :umm1:

However, alcohol has become... useless to me.

I'm just... not interested.

At first when my doctor told me to not drink on the same days I take my medication, I was kind of upset. I drink responsibly - my habits are (or were, before starting medication) just like my parents', and I believe they have a healthy lifestyle. Yes, they have 1 or 2 drinks on an average day. But they don't binge drink, they drink with meals, and they drink because they enjoy what they're drinking and are craft beer & wine lovers.

So at first I was really irritated because I love to brew beer and drink beer and I did not think (still don't) that my habits were a problem.

Imagine my surprise when the first day I take my medication, somebody offers me a beer once I get home from work, I look at it, and just think...

Meh.

And I have not desired alcohol in any form while on my medication in the past two months. Which kind of makes me feel guilty every time I pass my brewing supplies. -_-