View Full Version : Hypomania and Two Voices

BellaVita
10-18-13, 11:45 PM
Is it normal when hypomanic to "hear" two "voices/impressions" at once in your head to do 2 different things?(actions) That are telling you what to do? And then I feel I *have* to do it...(for religious reasons - but won't get into though - guidelines.)

This is not to be confused with the feeling of wanting to do a million things at once - I already know that's a symptom. And I get it. :o

Anyone else experience what I described above or know if this is "normal" for hypomania?

Any ways around it to not get so confused? I'm afraid I'll do the wrong thing.

I'm afraid my brain is just telling me things and I'm acting on impulse following them cuz' right now I don't have the capability to think before actions. (much worse than just my normal ADHD.) Sorry for the wordiness- symptom of hypomania can't help it.

This post was likely confusing let me know if something needs to be clarified. :o

daveddd
10-18-13, 11:54 PM
i dont believe thats a normal part of hypomania

:grouphug::grouphug:

dvdnvwls
10-19-13, 12:00 AM
I have never experienced hypomania.

I don't know whether it's normal to "hear" different things at the same time.

But I do know for sure, religious reasons or not, that you never *have* to do it, it doesn't matter what it is or who says it, you can say no. True religious reasons never require you to believe or participate in hallucinations, ever, period. If you have a religion that requires you to believe in hallucinations, then it's a cult and you need to get out immediately.

ana futura
10-19-13, 12:23 AM
You are aware of the relationship between increased religiosity and mania, correct? If you notice a need to do things for "religious" reasons, that could be related to bipolar.

As far as two voices, well, don't panic- anxiety will only make it worse.

It's my understanding that two or more voices does generally indicate schizophrenia, but I think they still can't really tell where BP ends and schizophrenia begins. My cousin has been receiving exceptional treatment for some time- they still can't decide what she has.

As long as you keep in mind that all of the voices are you, you will be okay. I think a big part of why schizophrenia winds up being so damaging is that people can't handle the idea of the disorder. "Schizophrenia" seems like this big terrible thing- it doesn't have to be, especially if you are self aware, and able to identify how the disorder operates in your life. Many people with the diagnosis are able to maintain a high level of functionality. Don't let the voices freak you out, that will only compound things. It's still just your brain talking to you, that's what it's always been, that's what it will always be. Whatever you have- just keep in mind that whatever you "hear" is your brain trying to communicate with you, no matter how beyond your control it might seem.

Watch this video if you haven't already, it's excellent-
http://www.ted.com/talks/eleanor_longden_the_voices_in_my_head.html

BellaVita
10-19-13, 02:03 AM
Thanks guys, your words are comforting.

ana futura
10-19-13, 02:31 AM
Also I think to warrant a schizophrenia dx ( I assume this is why you are concerned)- the voices will be having a conversation with each other, and they will "drown out" everything else around you.

I would not be concerned if I were you- you are self aware right now, with no other symptoms. Just tell a loved one to monitor your behavior- to watch for any sudden changes. Most likely, you are fine.

The brain is highly suggestible. Once you start looking for behaviors, you'll see them everywhere. Then, noticing them will up your anxiety, which will make the narrator in your head get more panicky, which will just make it seem like there's more behaviors to notice!

If you did become delusional, you wouldn't know. You probably wouldn't be here asking this question right now. So, the safest thing to do is to let someone you trust know that you are concerned, and then try to shift your attention away from it.

Are you experiencing any unusual stressors right now?

midnightstar
10-19-13, 06:36 AM
You dont have to do anything Bella precious no matter what the voices say <3

daveddd
10-19-13, 08:16 AM
You are aware of the relationship between increased religiosity and mania, correct? If you notice a need to do things for "religious" reasons, that could be related to bipolar.

As far as two voices, well, don't panic- anxiety will only make it worse.

It's my understanding that two or more voices does generally indicate schizophrenia, but I think they still can't really tell where BP ends and schizophrenia begins. My cousin has been receiving exceptional treatment for some time- they still can't decide what she has.

As long as you keep in mind that all of the voices are you, you will be okay. I think a big part of why schizophrenia winds up being so damaging is that people can't handle the idea of the disorder. "Schizophrenia" seems like this big terrible thing- it doesn't have to be, especially if you are self aware, and able to identify how the disorder operates in your life. Many people with the diagnosis are able to maintain a high level of functionality. Don't let the voices freak you out, that will only compound things. It's still just your brain talking to you, that's what it's always been, that's what it will always be. Whatever you have- just keep in mind that whatever you "hear" is your brain trying to communicate with you, no matter how beyond your control it might seem.

Watch this video if you haven't already, it's excellent-
http://www.ted.com/talks/eleanor_longden_the_voices_in_my_head.html

yea mania can be a lot of things

hypomania be definition generally would not include delusions

but like your cousin, treat the person, categories are tricky

how is your mood bellavita?

BellaVita
10-19-13, 01:25 PM
Didn't sleep well but slept more than I have this week, still full of energy and racing thoughts, irritable,anxious-ish, no more voices at the moment but a bit paranoid.

And kinda overwhelmed.

Embarrassed about posting that last night out of impulse and frustrated with self.

BellaVita
10-19-13, 01:29 PM
ana - Yes thanks for all of your help I'm not able to focus on everything you wrote at the moment but one thing -
The thing that "triggered" this was my anti-d was upped and I've been "up" ever since. (for a week now) I didn't realize it at first cuz I felt really good and thought I was just happy but then things started getting ya know....

anyways getting too irritable to type gonna get off for now

Abi
10-19-13, 01:31 PM
:grouphug:

It's not hypomania, but it could very well be proper-mania.

As I have said before, I strongly suspect you have Bipolar Disorder Type 1 with mild psychosis.

<333

Fuzzy12
10-19-13, 01:38 PM
To me it sounds more like bp1 too. And I've heard as well that religious themes can figure sure prominently during mania or hypomania.

Butt then like dave said as long as your getting the treatment for you the categories don't matter. Are you getting any form of treatment for bipolar disorder?