View Full Version : I think I have more than just ADD

Abenk
03-05-05, 01:09 PM
I finally found out at the age of 40 that the reasons I did not do well in my school and college days was due to ADD. I really had trouble staying focussed. I am on Ritalin now 5mg X 3 times a day

I also lack the ability to focus on the "full picture" for eg, I have these great ideas in my head and when I actually put them down on a computer, i tend to focus more on the "Look-and-feel" rather than the actual content. Secondly if I break the tasks down into bits, I mange to focus on the bits but fail to look at how one bit affects the other, in other words I find it difficult to take a step back and take a "birds eye" view of things after it is done

Can someone explain what other impairment I would have in addition to ADD and if there is a treatment for the same

- Abraham

herekittykitty
03-05-05, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't recommend simply upping your dosage of Ritalin, but I take 60mg (that's 6 10mg tablets) of Ritalin per day, so your current dose isn't excessive (of course, everyone responds differently).

Sounds like you might need something to help you concentrate--I've heard that Wellbutrin or even tranquilizers can help you 'step back' and maintain the concentration (I still think yours might be a concentration issue) needed to complete tasks, and put things together.

I've found that meds like Wellbutrin and Prozac (and now I'm on a benzo [tranquilizer] called Minalcipran) help me to relax so I can concentrate--but then make me too relaxed so I start to vegetate! That's when CNS stimulants like Ritalin (or the outrageously-priced Provigil) help.

Also, Strattera is an ADD med (but not a stimulant). You might take that, and keep your Ritalin to give you the boost you need. Talk to your doc.

It's like you get help for one symptom with one med, then need another med to counteract the overkill for the first one. Sucks, yes, but if it helps ya get outta bed/finish that project, it's worth considering.

free2bme
03-05-05, 09:37 PM
Abraham,

Have you spoken with your Doc about the continuing symptoms? I'd start there.
Your answer may be a simple titration in dose. Your Doc should be able to address it.

Your name reminds me of a song I learned in Sunday School called "Abraham Had Seven Sons." Haven't thought of that in YEARS!!! Sorry, ADDer here... :p

Good luck...

Abenk
03-06-05, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the inputs, out here in the Middle East, the docs aren't too good. My doc used "Dirven to Distraction" book to make a diagnosis! Ritalin has helped, higher doses made me irritable so I am trying out 5mgx3 for some time and then look at increasing it. Also the range of medications here are highly restricted. Ritlain is considered a Narcotic drug, so evey time I need it I have to go to the doc and get a permit...

Thanks - Abe

Whizper
03-08-05, 10:37 AM
Do some research on the net concerning Comorbid disorders for ADD. There are a range of disorders that can exist along with ADD. Also look around this site more, there are discussion groups for many of these disorders already. For instance, I recently came to believe that along with possible ADD, my husband might have Asperger syndrome, a form of Autism. Apparently it is quite common that the two group together. Look into the most common disorder types like Tourettes, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Major Depression, Personality Disorders. You might discover some of your previously unexplained symptoms match up to one or more of these disorders. But, like the previous posts, your symptoms are not unusual for ADD. Try to work at finding a better dose to suit you.