View Full Version : Does anyone else stay up three days straight sometimes?

Daydreamin22
10-21-13, 02:59 PM
I do... I have always had a problem sleeping. This is so common for me, but now sometimes I won't sleep for two nights. I have anxiety, adhd, bipolar II. I take Adderall, but this began happening during a anxious job situation last year. I don't know what to think. I know know sleep can be attributed to all four of these things. Sometimes I feel fine and get no sleep. It's really unpredictable.

Rebelyell
10-21-13, 06:37 PM
Ive gone days in a row w only , 3, 4 hours of a sleep a nite , cant fall asleep, sleep for 2 hours wake up like its morning n cant get back to sleep then fall back asleep at 5 have to get up 6 am n then its murder.were all screwed up welcome to the club:)

BellaVita
10-21-13, 08:29 PM
One time I went 5 days straight no sleep. (hypomanic/manic)

Also...Over a week ago I began displaying hypomanic symptoms(however I wasn't aware that's what it was at first) and then within a day or two my sleep went as followed:
Night 1: 5 hrs. sleep
Night 2: 2 hours sleep
Night 3: 2-3 hours sleep
Night 4: *No sleep*
Night 5: 2 hours sleep

and so on....that's pretty much how it went if I recall correctly.....

The hypomanic symptoms became less enjoyable the more I became sleep deprived. It turned from a euphoric hypomanic state to perhaps dysphoric(maybe day 4+) maybe even mixed....it wasn't pleasant.

Rebelyell
10-21-13, 08:50 PM
Maybe u need ambien.

sarahsweets
10-22-13, 04:31 AM
i have when in the heat of a manic cycle.

Flory
10-22-13, 09:13 AM
I stay up two nights in a row on occasion
....it's more hyperactivity and distract ability I start getting ready to go to bed but I've got so much going round in my mind and I start doing lots of things and before I know it it's 6am and I still haven't slept.....

Rebelyell
10-22-13, 10:34 AM
I go to my med nurse this week should I tell her bout my hypomania went into mani, she called back twice playing phone tag, then havent heard anything.i really feel like im just a number at this point so what should I do.

mctavish23
10-22-13, 11:19 AM
Not Since I've Been Clean + Sober. :D

Seriously, Sleep Disorders + ADHD often go hand in hand. That's why I always suggest

client's discuss a possible Sleep Study referral with their primary care physician.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

addthree
10-22-13, 11:49 AM
I do. Its horrible. After about 56 hours I start feeling bad. I have way too much anxiety at night and when I do fall asleep I have night terrors. It really hard for me too fall asleep. I wish I could sleep, than I could get a better job.

Daydreamin22
10-22-13, 08:11 PM
Yea.. It's pretty bad sometimes. I was in a bad situation with a woman I worked with last year. I couldn't sleep for days. Everyone thought I was nuts and I was too scared to open up to anyone about it. Now I realize what happened and I have to tell someone. But, I can't get a response. She was the one running down about me and watching my every move. I was the problem? Now that I've realized what a classic, extreme case of abuse this was, no one will listen to me. I have to tell someone what she was doing.

Fraser_0762
10-22-13, 08:57 PM
I wonder if you'd all still be having the same sleeping issues, if you removed stimulants from the equation....

DelStan
10-22-13, 10:12 PM
My little sister has bi-polar and she has come close to this, but I do know for sure she slept for over a day or 2 at least. And just get up to use the restroom and eat.

Sandy4957
10-22-13, 10:20 PM
Fraser, I could easily do 2-3 nights in a row before I ever tried a stimulant medication, although admittedly, the stimulants probably helped me go for five in a row. (That was on 20mg XR Adderall per day). I've NEVER been a good sleeper, not even in high school (no stimulants then, other than maybe an occasional Coke).

For me, the key with the stimulants is an EXTREMELY low dose. I take 2.5mg or 5mg IR Adderall when I take them at all.

And yes, DelStan, peeing and eating peanut M&Ms and Skittles (and drinking Diet Coke) was pretty much all I did.

Oh, and writing briefs. :)

Daydreamin22
10-30-13, 07:53 PM
One time I went 5 days straight no sleep. (hypomanic/manic)

Also...Over a week ago I began displaying hypomanic symptoms(however I wasn't aware that's what it was at first) and then within a day or two my sleep went as followed:
Night 1: 5 hrs. sleep
Night 2: 2 hours sleep
Night 3: 2-3 hours sleep
Night 4: *No sleep*
Night 5: 2 hours sleep

and so on....that's pretty much how it went if I recall correctly.....

The hypomanic symptoms became less enjoyable the more I became sleep deprived. It turned from a euphoric hypomanic state to perhaps dysphoric(maybe day 4+) maybe even mixed....it wasn't pleasant.

Me too, was so productive on the fifth day, too.

Daydreamin22
11-01-13, 10:14 AM
Helloooooo haven't slept for 4 days.

stef
11-01-13, 10:23 AM
omg....oh i hope you can get some help!!!
how is it possible?
in my entire life i have only done 2 actual all nighters, even as a student
i allost collapsed by 6 pm couldnt even walk straight

Daydreamin22
11-01-13, 10:49 AM
I'm calling my dr. He'll finally write a sleeping pill prescription I hope!

It's Hypomania.

ginniebean
11-01-13, 11:38 AM
I wonder if you'd all still be having the same sleeping issues, if you removed stimulants from the equation....

I have taken meds for 2 out of 46 yrs of ADHD and don't take them now. Sleep issues were there all along. I've learned through painful experience that not enough sleep harms me badly.

Sometimes it's too easy to blame the stimulantstand sometimes they can make the problem worse.

Daydreamin22
12-21-13, 09:01 PM
IDK if it’s the stimulants. I think my mind just gets going and going. And yes, stimulants definitely can make things bad with no sleep. No sleep + stimulants can = big probs

fracturedstory
12-24-13, 01:11 AM
As a teenager I stayed up til 7am most nights.

Now when I stay up til about 4am the next day I have no focus and all plans are virtually impossible to start.

I've had a few nights where I know I wouldn't be able to sleep but I still go to bed. Woke up at 3am this morning feeling paranoid.

Sometimes I wish I had the most common type of bipolar. I still get all the symptoms, just in a short burst.

Abi
12-24-13, 01:59 AM
Upto 100 hours straight when I was unmedicated.

This is common in bipolar hypo/mania and very bad as the more you stay awake the more manicky you become.

IT is important to take a mood stabiliser with a potent sleeping pill in bipolar.

Stevuke79
12-24-13, 06:25 PM
In college any times. Ive recent had days where I wake up at 4am, go to bed at 1am... Up at 4am the next day....then asleep by 9pm or so

janiew
12-25-13, 02:09 AM
Not usually, but with my rheumatoid arthritis, I can sleep my *** off...

sarahsweets
12-25-13, 09:45 AM
during manic haze of hell i do.

dvdnvwls
12-25-13, 12:57 PM
There are a considerable number of people who sleep better with stimulants than without. Certainly there are people who sleep worse as well, but for many of them the "balancing act" of finding the right timing and dosage to not disturb their sleep too badly while still having maximum daytime effect is 100% worth it.

(Fraser, did you once have a personal battle with stimulants? That history can combine with the ADHD "tradition" of black-and-white thinking to produce a black-and-white attitude toward all stimulant use.)

Fraser_0762
12-25-13, 02:27 PM
I don't have a black and white attitude towards stimulants. I'm not shouting from the roof tops telling people to stop taking them.

I was simply pointing out that stimulants can effect the quality of sleep for some people. The problem is that some of you guys have been on stimulants for so long, you perhaps don't realize just how much of an impact it is having on your quality of sleep.

Note: It's not just "quantity", but "quality" as well. 8 hours of sleep at night is useless if it's poor quality. Stimulants can still effect the quality of sleep, without effecting the quantity.

You can sleep for 8 hours, wake up the next morning and feel like you've only slept for 2 or 3 hours.

Daydreamin22
12-25-13, 07:03 PM
I just go rxed a sleeping pill for the first time ever. I slep an entire night and day. I woke up on Christmas eve. Lunesta is way to strong. I wat to cut the pill into a quarter.

Abi
12-26-13, 12:42 AM
Ewww Lunesta. Tastes great hey? :)

You can cut it in 1/2. I don't know about the size of US (Es)zoplicone tabs, but over here they are too small to cut into quarters....

Daydreamin22
12-26-13, 01:01 AM
Haha, they taste bad? Haven’t noticed yet but not surprised. most of my pills taste pretty bad, except for Adderall IR.

Yea, ours are pretty small too. Probably won’t be able to pull it off.

addthree
12-26-13, 11:53 AM
Lunesta comes in 3 strengths. 1,2,3 MG.

Blinkett
01-08-14, 12:20 PM
I have stayed up for 7 days straight. I have never slept well, even as an infant. I don't feel really dazed or anything. On most normal times I sleep 4 hours a night and I feel okay the next morning. Relationship issues, stress from work, child problems can send me into a spell where I would be up for days working.

Corina86
01-08-14, 03:46 PM
I stay up for 2-3 nights almost every month before my period. I might get 1-2 hours of sleep, but only after 6 AM. However, I don't feel tired, I feel quite good in fact, maybe just irritated and b*tchy, but I have a lot of energy for physical activity.

Besides hormones, anxiety is my biggest trigger for insomnia: in autumn I slept for about 2 weeks, 1-2 hours per night or even got no sleep at all. It was when I decided to get medicated for anxiety. I'm not bipolar though, I assume that's pretty different.

ViaPurifico
01-08-14, 11:43 PM
Hey I am bipolar 2 as well. I take Lithium everyday for it. For some odd reason, I don't have any hypomanic symptoms while on Lithium. If I stop taking Lithium and take my dexedrine which is of course an amphetamine, then within a week I will be awake for days and doing really stupid things like spending money I do not have.
One thing I have noticed though, with stimulants like Adderall and Dexedrine, I always have heightened anxiety, and unfortunately severe panic attacks that completely ruin my life.
I think since you have some anxiety from the stressful environment in your job, it's only going to negatively impact your mood stability and sleep which is VERY important for us to maintain. Have you thought about reducing your dosage or speaking to your doctor about this? Usually if I notice these symptoms I am given Seroquel right away to prevent going up too high where I become psychotic.