View Full Version : How to mask hypomania?

BellaVita
10-21-13, 08:17 PM
I'm curious,

does anyone have tips to help mask or cover up hypomanic symptoms?

Like(some that really bother during social situations):
1) a. The fast talking, irresistible urge to talk and interrupt and go on and on about a subject? b. the ideas keep switching and switching and I feel like I end up annoying the other person?

2)Irritability outbursts? My tone of voice changes a bit and I try to make it sound sweet but it just sounds even more fake.(I think)

3)The uncontrollable energy? I usually swing and move my arms rapidly in different odd directions, and sometimes just hop randomly when the energy builds up. :o

4)The need to do-do-do things? (usually goal-oriented) And I have poor judgment during this time and usually end up doing insignificant things that *I* think are VERY important at the time. (like researching some sort of statistics hours on end or learning to play an instrument that I don't play)

5) Here's an embarrassing one...Grandiose ideas...like convincing the other person and being very persistent to start some new task or endeavor that I *normally* wouldn't think is such a great idea....:o:o:o and I'm sure others have thought I am crazy

***Now I know a lot of this sounds like ADHD, and although some of it may be, most of it, at *this intensity*, isn't. Even when medicated, the symptoms when hypomanic are there, when if it were ADHD, those symptoms disappear or at least greatly diminish.

Note:
I need to learn to cover these for personal reasons that I do not wish to discuss. So please, in advance I am asking that you do not bring up the topic(s) along the lines of "you can't control it, so I'm sure others would understand, it's okay people don't mind that behavior etc. etc."

dvdnvwls
10-21-13, 08:38 PM
Masking high-intensity internal impulses is like masking the need to pee - i.e. eventually it all comes out anyway, and you have an unfortunate mess to clean up. Instead of masking, solve the source of the problems the best way you can.

As far as "Yes but how do I mask these things today while I search for help", I guess the answer is "Just don't do those things". I know it's a stupid answer but I think it's the real one.

BellaVita
10-21-13, 08:41 PM
Masking high-intensity internal impulses is like masking the need to pee - i.e. eventually it all comes out anyway, and you have an unfortunate mess to clean up. Instead of masking, solve the source of the problems the best way you can.

As far as "Yes but how do I mask these things today while I search for help", I guess the answer is "Just don't do those things". I know it's a stupid answer but I think it's the real one.

Thanks, thought you might tell me something like this. :p (I appreciate the analogy btw :D)

Yeah, kinda looking for temporary stuffs, if there are any that is.

Maybe I should ask the question differently: How do others who are affected by Bipolar hypomania deal with their symptoms in social situations?

:thankyou:

Rebelyell
10-21-13, 08:54 PM
Actually its one of the few times I feel I do belong n can be social n flighty n soooo alive n can do anything like walk up to the hottest girl in the club and bust the move on her while everyone stares on in awe.I soo wish I could have this kind of confidence all the time.by the way hugs too ya.

BellaVita
10-21-13, 09:12 PM
Actually its one of the few times I feel I do belong n can be social n flighty n soooo alive n can do anything like walk up to the hottest girl in the club and bust the move on her while everyone stares on in awe.I soo wish I could have this kind of confidence all the time.by the way hugs too ya.

Yeah, I usually feel this way too. It IS awesome, especially in the beginning. Sometimes I think I've turned NT when this happens.

But there have been a couple times when later later on I remembered the social interaction, and then got super embarrassed cuz I made a fool of myself. (although, I must say I could have a faulty memory of what *actually* happened.)

Or like I'm scared I'll make a *first* impression on someone when hypo and it won't be the *real* me.....

Or that people talk behind my back...

BellaVita
10-21-13, 09:16 PM
Like I guess I started getting hypo again around this evening,

and I began cleaning and organizing...felt driven...

was under the impression that my bf wanted to do the same thing....

but then later when I asked him (out of irritability) "why do you keep disappearing!?", he replied that it was actually me who kept bouncing around disappearing and doing tasks....:o

then it hit me that it was hypo symptoms and I apologized. :(

- this is just irking me I don't want my moods to "ruin the moment" :mad:

and dang this episode is taking forever to get rid of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BellaVita
10-21-13, 09:17 PM
See even on here I'm talking too much :(

dvdnvwls
10-21-13, 09:41 PM
I remember a conversation in the men's section not that long ago. Not related to bipolar, just ADHD, but interesting. One guy was worried about meeting women and seeming weird to them because he talks too much. Among the several responses was one from a very smart woman who said it wasn't the talking that was the problem, it was the listening and being in tune with the other person that she wished more men had. Maybe part of doing your best to temporarily overcome these symptoms for now is putting a lot of awareness and effort into listening and tuning in with the people around you, and less worry about your symptoms themselves.

BellaVita
10-21-13, 11:53 PM
I'm getting fed up with myself.

BellaVita
10-22-13, 12:50 AM
My bf again just told me "You keep focusing on your tasks but not me" (this sounds weird out of it's context, but it's because I asked my bf to note if there's any "not me" behavior going on so I can be aware.)

Ugh. :umm1:

I've got to figure out something, I don't want to end up regretting not having focused on him when that is the sole thing I wanted to do! The thing I've been waiting for! :mad::(:eek::scratch::doh::doh::doh:

:doh::doh::doh:

dvdnvwls
10-22-13, 01:43 AM
BellaVita, you might be trying too hard. Sometimes trying gets in the way.

Fuzzy12
10-22-13, 01:46 AM
Does your boyfriend know you're bipolar? I mean are you trying to relay get rid of the symptoms c so that the two of you have a better time or are they trying to keep him from realising that you are bipolar? The latter might be very difficult. I'm not sure if you can get rid of the symptoms but maybe you cfocu and fdirect them all that either they aren't that obvious or they aren't that impairing.

2. Find high energy activities you can do together. Maybe some kind of sport, hiking, cycling, playing games like tennis badminton etc. SwiMming

3. Sex but only if you really feel like It. The excess energy might be an asset here. And it's a good way to get rid of that excess energy and I guess the boyfriend mmight prefer that to cleaning

4. Try to avoid situations where you have to sit quietly. Restaurants watching movies etc

5. This might sound silly but keep something in your hands that you can squeeze. When you are feeling the need to blurt out something squeeze out. Squeeze out when you van feel the v irritation sharing tobuild up. Actually keep squeezing. It might hel0 hreducing the extra energy a bit

6. Go dancing.

Hope this is legible. On mobile and swype ing witH my left hand.

pooka
10-22-13, 01:48 AM
I'm not bipolar and I have zero helpful advice but...

:grouphug:(((Bella))) :grouphug:

Remember he is so lucky to have you :)

Fuzzy12
10-22-13, 01:51 AM
My bf again just told me "You keep focusing on your tasks but

I've got to figure out something, I don't want to end up regretting not having focused on him when that is the sole thing I wanted to do! The thing I've been waiting for! :mad::(:eek::scratch::doh::doh::doh:

:doh::doh::doh:

Tell him that. Exactly that. If possible.

BellaVita
10-22-13, 03:48 AM
BellaVita, you might be trying too hard. Sometimes trying gets in the way.

Yes. This.

Thank you and thanks for the other responses x 100000000 will respond when I can :) you all have given me some hope and great advice/tips :thankyou::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Sandy4957
10-22-13, 09:54 PM
Take a sleep aid.

My psychiatrist taught me something very important. Hypomania is like a spiral, and it can be aided (by staying up), or tamped down (by enforcing sleep).

Think of it as akin to bingeing on adrenaline, as if it were sugar, or coffee, or alcohol.

Ok, you stay up all night and get a little hyper. You feel GREAT. What's the LAST THING you feel like doing? Sleeping, right? You NEED to surf the net. You NEED to clean the closet. You NEED to watch the ENTIRE fifth season of Damages in one sitting, right?

Nope. You need to sleep. ;)

Get a prescription for a strong sleep aid, and when you start noticing yourself doing this stuff, knock yourself on your *** with a drug.

You will come down off of it and flatten out.

But if you do the opposite. If you "ride the wave," you will spiral up. The adrenaline that your body uses to keep itself up will become a very serious high, and that's when you'll get that pressured speech, grandiosity, etc.

If you force yourself to sleep after the first all-nighter, you'll be ok within a day or so. But if you let yourself go two, three nights with no sleep or almost no sleep, you'll be off to the races.

My record was five nights in a row without sleep. :o

Rebelyell
10-22-13, 09:57 PM
Very sound advice, hmmm maybe why around 9-11 day I had to take n ambien n then finally got back to grounded.

Sandy4957
10-22-13, 10:11 PM
Yup, Reb, that was a revelation to me when the doc. told me that.

Up until then, I assumed that it just was what it was. I was on the ride and it would come down when it did. I had no idea that there was anything I could do (short of mood stabilizers, which I didn't care for) to "control" it.

The doc. told me that even non-cyclothymics can cause themselves to get a little high by staying up. But they'll eventually become overwhelmed by the need to sleep, whereas I'll get more and more wound up as it goes on.

I've not needed Ambien for years, but I'm thinking maybe I'll have to go back to it. Menopause is a beeyotch, man. I just do NOT sleep normally anymore, even with the Lorazepam that I normally take to turn my brain off.

Heh heh. To put my brain to sleep, I need a sledgehammer. :)

BellaVita
10-22-13, 11:45 PM
Thanks so much for responding, Sandy. That's really great advice.

I have a little issue though - my sleep aid (Trazodone) has been doing *nothing* for me, actually *this* episode it has actually made me more hypo each time I've taken it(seems so anyway)...I even feel a burst of mental activity and body energy....it also seems to make me much much more irritable each time it kicks in...... :( grr

I really need a better sleep aid. I feel so stuck. It's been a vicious cycle.

CosmicWolf
10-22-13, 11:54 PM
Chewing gum helps your mind to relax, and when the mind relaxes the symptoms will subside. I am overactive mentally and physically sometimes, and I have found that chewing gum keeps me more focused and calm.

Daydreamin22
10-23-13, 12:50 AM
I jus let it roll. I'm a newby hypomanic

BellaVita
10-23-13, 01:10 AM
I want to plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay yay finally some good-ish vivid things

why do i feel starving

you all are the best!!!!!!!!!!!

I am annoyed with myself though but I'm kinda just about to let loose I am getting bored with things fast need intensity

someothertime
10-23-13, 02:50 AM
Can't mask it on the fly but 40mins cardio sure saps most of it up!

BellaVita
10-23-13, 11:29 PM
Starting to get embarrassed that I am still in this mood state...actually *now* bf has noticed and I have noticed that I am beginning to show manic symptoms.

How could this happen?

I thought when I woke up today that it was over...felt really good after 7ish hrs sleep....(yesterday no sleep tho) This has been going on for like over 2 weeks now?

I hate that i'm starting to sound like a broken record....:o:o:o

Honestly, I should just stop complaining cuz things could be worse.

Reekwind
10-24-13, 12:02 AM
It is as bad as it feels, right? :) And we are here to support each other so I'm positive nobody cares if you repeat yourself a bit!

Don't forget that some of your thoughts and feelings probably are delusional too so if you suddenly start thinking that you "have to, should, need" to do things try thinking an extra time first, okay? :)

The dumb thing about delusions though is that its impossible to know they are what they are until after they aren't anymore, which makes it all that much harder to be "normal" and to not go bananas with it. :P

Paranoid delusions in particular is a pain in the ***. ><

dvdnvwls
10-24-13, 01:18 AM
Honestly, I should just stop complaining cuz things could be worse.
No. Seriously, that's a very bad reason to stop complaining.

Fuzzy12
10-24-13, 03:13 AM
You don't sound like a broken record at all, you are not complaining and with something like mania it's very important to watch how it's progressing so that you know when you need professional intervention.

By the way, if you didn't update us, we would wonder how you are doing so I'm glad that you are sharing. Just be careful, ok, Bella? Does your psychiatrist know about this current episode?

sarahsweets
10-24-13, 05:05 AM
A dark cloak, mask and scythe.

BellaVita
10-24-13, 12:38 PM
You don't sound like a broken record at all, you are not complaining and with something like mania it's very important to watch how it's progressing so that you know when you need professional intervention.

By the way, if you didn't update us, we would wonder how you are doing so I'm glad that you are sharing. Just be careful, ok, Bella? Does your psychiatrist know about this current episode?

Thanks for the kind words Fuzz. :grouphug: (and also many thanks to Reekwind and dad. - helped me alot)

A dark cloak, mask and scythe.

:D

Sounds cool.

BellaVita
10-24-13, 12:39 PM
Last night was rough.

4 hours sleep.

Intense paranoia, thinking my bf was showing angry distorted faces at me (he said he wasn't), thinking he was upset at me, thought there was a cloud of something scary in the room(felt weird, like it was surrounding me)...

Worst part: I began to hear whispering.
And then, I heard about 3-4 times some voice saying "hey Bella" "hey Bella" "hey Bella" and I kept plugging my ears trying to block it and was freaking out....it was really scary.

Then I took my sleep meds and stuff to try to knock me out.

Told my bf that if I start getting too psychotic, then to take me to the hospital. So he will if things get too out of control.

Sandy4957
10-24-13, 04:37 PM
Yup, you may want to try a mood stabilizer. Some of them are really anti-psychotic medications or anti-seizure medication.

Bear in mind that my cyclothymia is almost surely on the mild side. I don't get lows, for example. I bounce up and down above normal. Irritable is my low.

You on stimulants for ADHD? May want to try an extremely low dose, or take a break until you crash.

fracturedstory
10-31-13, 07:30 AM
I find it impossible to control. Sometimes I prefer it; if I'm being social and am talkative then that's a good thing.

I still may say a lot of regrettable things. It's nothing like my mania though.

someothertime
11-01-13, 09:39 AM
Yeah... I think it can be "directed" to some extent. i.e. channeled into areas / interests that provide good / tangible outcomes.........

Daydreamin22
11-01-13, 09:42 AM
Omg aaahh I haven't slept for 4 daaaayyss

sarahsweets
11-01-13, 10:02 AM
Just wanted to check in my bipolar sister. I also have no idea!where thar explaintion point came in so ignore it. Lol