View Full Version : how i CURED my adhd related tics

daveddd
10-23-13, 10:44 AM
first ill say i have no one of knowing how many cases of tics this would apply to

next ill say, ive realized over the years that NONE of my symptoms are unique, specific to me, or even rare

ive been practicing emotional acceptance and awareness training for awhile now

ADHD-poor emotional regulation = not accepting identifying or resolving emotional experiences - with adhd we never learn to do that , so the idea is foreign to us

it takes a lot of insight to identify certain emotions coming on, because with poor emotional regulation (at certain degrees) we learn to detach from painful ones

so i was noticing my premonitory tic urge, so i let the feeling go and noticed it was the onset of a negative emotion , negative emotions come with a bodily charge

i was releasing the charge through a tic to eliminate deeling with the emotion

now, accepting , labeling and dealing with the emotion completely CURES the tic problem

i still miss it sometimes and tic, and once that happens the emotion is gone, repressed

but im getting better and better and will eventually master this

hopefully this helps at least one person

dave

dvdnvwls
10-23-13, 11:43 AM
That is remarkable - I haven't heard that kind of comment, ever. The level of self-awareness (and speed of self-awareness needed to catch your upcoming emotions before they take over) that you have developed, is something that I would like to learn from, even though I've never experienced tics.

Even though not all of us have tics, I think it's safe to say that nearly every one of us here, whether we're completely aware of it or not, does have the problem - either occasional or frequent - of being overtaken and "swamped" by poor emotional regulation. In other words, I think this general issue is not so much "not rare" as it is "extremely common, at least among the ADHD population".

Again, thanks, and I wish you would talk more about the process you notice "in the moment", when you identify something coming on and you deal with it in a better way. Or about how you came to realize this could be done.

daveddd
10-23-13, 11:47 AM
years of research made me realize it can be done

im hoping for some help on wording the how

dvdnvwls
10-23-13, 11:52 AM
years of research made me realize it can be done

im hoping for some help on wording the how
I don't want to sound too proud, but I'm pretty good at putting other people's good ideas (but with wording they don't like) into better words that still hopefully say what the person means. PM me if you like... or maybe you have a person more experienced than I am, who will do a better job. I would learn a lot from trying to help you hammer out a decent way of saying what you mean, so I'd be more than happy to help if required.

daveddd
10-23-13, 11:55 AM
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146935

it all boils down to the noise

daveddd
10-23-13, 11:58 AM
tics where just one way of repressing

reward seeking is another

Lunacie
10-23-13, 12:18 PM
Good for you figuring this out on your own! I don't have tics, but if I did,
I think this would be worth trying.

That sounds very much like the way CBT teaches to handle anxiety and
depression. Maybe because I'm older and had more years of habit, it took
me longer to think differently, and I don't always catch it either.

dresser
11-02-13, 12:41 PM
Excellent!! Daveddd and your wording is your MEANING and your wording is working just fine. I have a Helllk of a time getting the words I think I need in order say what I want to say or need to say. I am finding that I can find the words and you can also. I would think you have done a lot of self searching and inventory and dealt with some hard cases of denial about self, and that is commendable N deserves a PAT on the back as well as your STIKTOOITness wow! hugs kiddo N thank you

sarek
11-02-13, 01:08 PM
Though my tics are not anywhere near the severity of Tourettes, I have very similar experiences with awareness training and discipline.

It has allowed me to gain a siginificant measure of control over both my negative emotions and my unwanted physical utterances(tics and stimming mainly)

The key to making this work for me is ruthless consistency in the practice. Any time I forget that I am having a distinctly bad day. That is when I realise just how bad it has been with me.

RicardoBogie
11-02-13, 02:35 PM
now, accepting , labeling and dealing with the emotion completely CURES the tic problem
dave

Thank you..its good to hear it.

Happy for you. Its also adding hope for others.

I say to myself.... " oh well.. here come the anxious thoughts "... or... "oh well, here comes the worry thoughts " .. and they pass soon enough, especially if I just see them as they are and then go on to something else, something in the now.. the present moment. Like clouds in the sky.. sometimes they are bright white and sometimes they are grey. They all pass...no worries.

I think you have the right way of dealing with it.

Austinnou88
07-04-14, 07:55 PM
That's awesome!

mctavish23
07-20-14, 09:12 PM
Rewards (like Snacks) are Good.

u r welcome :cool:

rickymooston
10-12-14, 11:26 PM

Well, I beleive can control some of my tic urges. At least, through self awareness, I nod my head less.

I also "blink" (eye tic actually) and I don't think I'm aware of this all the time. I believe I still do it.

InvitroCanibal
11-19-14, 01:58 AM
Emotions, both good and bad, are just energy, and without an outlet, that energy will destroy you or distract you. It takes exercise, creative pursuits, and a sense of purpose/goals. I treated my adhd a long time without meds and that is what I did. The truth is though, that you can only be mindful of what you are mindful of.

Do this, take a tape recorder with you and leave it on throughout the day. Pay attention to the conversations you have and listen to it at the end of the day to discover how many times you interupted, ignored, and failed to listen to the other person/people around you. It was when I did that I realized I needed meds.

Good luck to you though, I hope it worked for you

mbrandon
12-01-14, 10:48 PM
Do this, take a tape recorder with you and leave it on throughout the day. Pay attention to the conversations you have and listen to it at the end of the day to discover how many times you interupted, ignored, and failed to listen to the other person/people around you. It was when I did that I realized I needed meds.

Good luck to you though, I hope it worked for you

That's a great idea! I think I may try this sometime.

Also I agree, good luck and truly amazing, daveddd.