View Full Version : A great report!

JenE
10-25-13, 10:28 AM
All kinds of things have been going on!

Last week the ice rink where I take DS on Fridays told me that starting this week, they won’t be able to take him. Nothing bad about him. All the schools in that area are year round schools and got put on the same trackout schedule so they only have kids for 3 wks out of every 12 and so they can’t support the camp program when those kids are in school.

So…… As of this week, DS started going to the afterschool program and really likes it. He has a couple of friends that stay and they can play their electronics so he’s happy. He also started going to the half-day school program on Friday’s today and had no issues with it all when I dropped him off. I talked with a couple of his teachers and he is doing very well. His core teacher was actually out with her sick child most of last week and half of this week and I never knew—meaning it didn’t bother him to have a substitute like it has in the past. YAY DS!!! I am now able to work a full day and not have to work wknds! YAY ME!!
<O:p</O:p
Thank you to everyone for listening to me and supporting me during these transitions. It has really helped! Praying he continues to succeed at this school!

Lunacie
10-25-13, 12:05 PM
That's great!

You probably feel like I do, you want your son to stay with the same
teacher in the same classroom until he graduates from high school, eh? :D

We were also amazed at our parent-teacher conference to learn that my
granddaughter has had several meltdowns. We didn't know this. The
teacher simply charts the duration and works with Nove to end the melt
down. No more being called to school to pick her up in the middle of the
day. Yay!

JenE
10-25-13, 12:25 PM
LOL, yes, it would be nice to keep the same teacher. Actually, he'll have the same core teacher through 8th grade then the same core teacher for 9-12 grades. Makes it really nice for anxious kids.

Glad Nove's school is able to work with her. Makes all the difference!!!

Lunacie
10-25-13, 12:35 PM
LOL, yes, it would be nice to keep the same teacher. Actually, he'll have the same core teacher through 8th grade then the same core teacher for 9-12 grades. Makes it really nice for anxious kids.

Glad Nove's school is able to work with her. Makes all the difference!!!

That's awesome, that he'll have the same "homeroom" teacher (unless
something horrible happens). That's all I really want for Nove. She's in a
new classroom set up for autistic kids in middle and high school. This is
the first year for the new room and there are two high school boys and her
so far. They hope at least one more middle school kid will join after
semester break.

Nove has been attending a few classes outside the autism room, and
either the teacher or the para goes with her. That's all we wanted clear
back in the first grade. I hate it that the school wouldn't give her such a
small accommodation and put her through all those years of misery. :(

dvdnvwls
10-25-13, 02:45 PM
Jen, I was in the past concerned about your worry level over all the things that were going on, and I'm very very glad to hear that things are improving this much. One small good thing about your son's emotional sensitivity (if he's anything like me) is that when things go well even for a short while, it probably brightens his outlook for the future and makes him feel more secure and confident in other new situations that come along.

LynneC
10-25-13, 03:34 PM
Yay Jen! :):):)

Have a great weekend!

zette93
10-25-13, 04:55 PM
That's great news! I'm so glad that changing schools made such a difference for your son. There will probably be ups and downs over the next few months, but so far, yea!

Lunacie
10-25-13, 08:20 PM
Jen, I was in the past concerned about your worry level over all the things that were going on, and I'm very very glad to hear that things are improving this much. One small good thing about your son's emotional sensitivity (if he's anything like me) is that when things go well even for a short while, it probably brightens his outlook for the future and makes him feel more secure and confident in other new situations that come along.

Good point.

It's hard for me not to think about how much better my granddaughter
could be doing now (scholastically and emotionally) if they'd given her the
help she needs several years ago. But I really am grateful that it's finally
happening and that she still has her whole life ahead of her, she's just 11.