View Full Version : S.a.d.

Sunlovinlady
10-25-13, 04:37 PM
Anyone else having major Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.)? It's mostly overcast lately. I can't really complain because this month has been semi-sunny. Sun every other day or part of each day. Last month was stormy and rainy/windy.

I do live in the Northwest, so it's part of it but I am stuck here. Should have moved back when I had the chance. One day I know I will live somewhere sunny though! I was born in WA and am still not used to the rain and overcast weather. It makes me physically feel like crap. If it's foggy or cloudy, my mind feels foggy (besides the ADHD). When the sun comes out, I'm like a little flower. I just perk up and feel amazing. My neck and joint feel tight living here but going to tropical places my whole body loosens up.

Just wondering if I'm alone is feeling this way or if this is pretty common? Most people think I'm just overreacting if I say anything. I have a happy light and even turn to tanning if it gets really bad. Already used up my vacation time and money so can't go anywhere right now. Crossing my fingers for a light winter.

stef
10-25-13, 05:16 PM
totally understand this!!!
i grew up in the midwest so at least there were very bright , crisp winter days
winter in rhis part europe is terrible, 10 days straight without sun, its warm damp and cloudy right now, ugh.

i have a sunlamp thing
have you tried vitamin d?it helps
dreading changing back the clock and it just keeps getting darker and darker...

ana futura
10-25-13, 05:38 PM
I have found that the best cure for my SAD is outdoor activity.

Since i have taken up cross country skiing i do much better during the winter months. Anything that gets you outside in whatever sunlight there is helps- snow shoeing is another good option, jogging, hiking or cycling if you don't get much snow. Once you learn how to dress effectively, the cold and damp is no longer an issue.

Another benefit to skiing is psychological- i love it so much that i look forward to the winter now, because i can't do it the rest of the year.

Rain is hard to deal with- just force yourself to go outside whenever it's not wet. I think if you can train yourself to have a good time when it's overcast out, you'll lose some of the negative associations. Hopefully you'll build enough positivity to carry you through the rainy days.

So, in short- get outside as much as you possibly can, learn how to dress effectively to ensure you have a good time. You might have trouble with this at first- because the mind will hold onto the negative associations you have towards gloomy days. Remind yourself - i will be happier outside in the grey than i will be if i spend all winter inside. A little sunlight is much better than no sunlight.

And ditto on the full spectrum lightbulbs/ sun lamp and vitamin d, although i find neither to be a good substitute for actually being outside.

Also make a practice of going somewhere cheap and sunny ever year for a few days around january or february- plan ahead next time. It's important not to go too early. Where i live it is often cold and wet till the end of may, so the end of january is a good halfway point.

Lunacie
10-25-13, 06:14 PM
We had 2 weeks straight of clouds and rain in mid August so my SAD started early.

But I've been noticing it begins earlier each year as I get older. Anyone else notice
that happening to them?

Flia
10-26-13, 03:15 AM
I only know that some of us with ADHD can be extra sensitive to weather.
I definitely am. But I'm sensitive to people being low as well (as a part of the Aspergers).

ana futura
10-26-13, 01:11 PM
I definitely am. But I'm sensitive to people being low as well (as a part of the Aspergers).

That's interesting. I can't stand it when people are sad- other people certainly get to me a lot more than the weather!

I don't have an ASD dx though. But ADHD can have a lot of ASD traits.

Flia
10-26-13, 01:30 PM
Over or under sensitivity is an ASD trait.
But it's not uncommon to have a little ASD that is masked by th ADHD.

Sunlovinlady
11-01-13, 12:34 PM
Thanks everyone. Yep, got my happy light on and my vitamin d amped up daily. I was lucky to get a few days of sun. Even if it's cold out, it helps. Definitely planning the trip to a sunnier place for end of January. Just feels like lightyears away from now. Fall is beautiful where I live but as soon as the leaves drop, it's just dead and ugly and cold. I'll try to stay on the positive side. :0)

I also get low when others are but I always thought it was because I have extravert tendancies and need others to lift my spirits and motivate me.

addthree
11-01-13, 12:58 PM
I dread winter here in the Midwest. I rarely see sunlight once the time changes and its dark by 5pm. Who decided that daylight savings time was a good idea?

stef
11-01-13, 01:47 PM
ugh i know! we already changed time back last week here.
its 6:45 pm i feel like its the middle of the night. i really really really should go and get out the light therapy lamp, now
ive had a lovely day off work i am starting to feel awful.

addthree
11-01-13, 01:57 PM
Time change in France? What is the reasoning there?
Never had any solid reasoning in the states.

stef
11-01-13, 02:17 PM
lol never understood this anyway
and how is it saving daylight if it gets darj one hr earlier?
oops forgot i said would get sun lamp!
*leaves couch*

Drewbacca
11-01-13, 09:26 PM
My S.A.D. bothers me more living in the midwest than it did when I lived in the NW. Maybe it was all the coffee... or maybe all the other stuff I did just canceled it out. I miss Seattle and would go back in a heartbeat if it wasn't so far from family.

Hawutwut
11-02-13, 02:42 AM
I don't know if I have it but I get pretty bummed when it's not sunny and really, really bummed if it's drizzly for more than about 3 hours. I like cold overcast only if followed by snow. I enjoy full blown thunderstorms. Thankfully I live somewhere that's sunny much of the time, year round.

stef
11-02-13, 03:40 AM
My S.A.D. bothers me more living in the midwest than it did when I lived in the NW. Maybe it was all the coffee... or maybe all the other stuff I did just canceled it out. I miss Seattle and would go back in a heartbeat if it wasn't so far from family.

but isnt it often rainy in seattle? i love it here but 10 days without sun...( i counted one year, not doing that any more!)
i just dont want to "manage" this every day...

yellowflowers
11-02-13, 04:15 PM
Yeh can relate, find it harder to be motivated when it is so dull and dark out :( Hate having the lights on inside for the whole day, also... sounds weird...but when have lights on always feel urge to close the blinds cause EVERYONE can see you wandering around your flat :( .....paranoia I know...

Its true that going outside even for very short while makes big difference thourgh

X