View Full Version : Strattera and Anger and Depression

taylor00257
10-25-13, 10:34 PM
Okay, so for the last 2 - 3 weeks I've been trying to get onto Strattera, well I'm noticing that it's making me short tempered (even to wanting to punch a wall, though I haven't) and making me depressed. Has this happened to any of you? I'm going to be stopping the medication tomorrow and I have a med check later in Nov.

I never had thoughts of wanting to punch a wall before going onto this med.

Daydreamin22
10-26-13, 03:32 AM
Hm, maybe it's irritation side effect. What other side effects do you have?

taylor00257
10-26-13, 07:24 PM
Today I went without the Strattera and feel much more calm and happier. I drank coffee to help with trying to focus

What's weird, is that Strattera not only made me angry and depressed, but it felt like it was making my inattentiveness worse and it was killing my motivation.

sarahsweets
10-27-13, 07:58 AM
Straterra I believe, was originally made as an antidepressant and was found to help adhd after the fact. (I say help loosely) MANY people experience what you are talking about and it is not considered a first line treatment for adhd.

Morpheus-2396
10-28-13, 03:45 PM
Okay, so for the last 2 - 3 weeks I've been trying to get onto Strattera, well I'm noticing that it's making me short tempered (even to wanting to punch a wall, though I haven't) and making me depressed. Has this happened to any of you? I'm going to be stopping the medication tomorrow and I have a med check later in Nov.

I never had thoughts of wanting to punch a wall before going onto this med.

Pretty the same situation with me - except I don't know if Strattera is the cause. Since a few weeks my concentration got even worse, I am short-tempered and lose interest on anything much more quickly. Can Strattera worsen concentration if the dose is too high?

taylor00257
11-15-13, 11:22 PM
My concentration got worse on Strattera, I don't know how or why, but it did and I already have major issues with concentration. I think if your dose is too high it could very well make your concentration worse.

purpleToes
11-15-13, 11:29 PM
Straterra I believe, was originally made as an antidepressant and was found to help adhd after the fact. (I say help loosely) MANY people experience what you are talking about and it is not considered a first line treatment for adhd.

True, but just want to mention "first line treatment" means statistically best treatment or gold standard, not necessarily the first thing that should be tried in all circumstances. I didn't want the OP to think this meant that starting with Strattera was inappropriate.

I have seen a lot of comments here and elsewhere on the web, that starting Strattera at a lower dose and titrating more slowly than is commonly done is better for avoiding side effects and getting a better result. I can't point to a scientific study proving it, but OP might want to ask his doctor about that before giving up on it entirely. 40mg is the official starting dose for adults 70kg according to the FDA, but for some people it seems 25mg is better tolerated to start and even the Strattera website mentions that a lower starting dose is sometimes needed.

someothertime
11-16-13, 05:16 AM
You should taper down when stopping strattera...

Angry.....

Yeah, I got irratable periods some afternoons... Like the smallest thing was going to trigger some sort of lashing out.... This most prominent around the 4-8 week period... If your in a "controlled environment".... living situation fairly stable..... and have an average level of self control on a normal day..... then it's a matter of staying attuned to it ( providing it's only brief..... ) and getting in touch with the doc if any serious actions take place or are very close to taking place.

If it's lasting more than an hourish or your unable to create distance ( don't drive, don't argue, actually try to avoid interacting full stop during these moods ) and there are fluctuations/lots of opportunity for conflict around you...... See the doc about it.......

How long do they last.....any times of the day?

Depression

Times of day? Duration? 1 to 10?... I can't really offer much on this other than as a general comment that again, if it is short durations..... it may be part of the wearing in period....

Also.... Strattera really reduces your appetite.... this can have a compound effect on the above points......

Hows you food intake?

DesperateMe
11-30-13, 03:05 AM

Well this is good to know. If my doc would have told me it was an antidepressant I would have told him that all the antidepressants I have taken over the years never worked and actually made me feel like crap.
Bah. I am getting off this stuff. It is making me more ADD.:thankyou:

What's weird, is that Strattera not only made me angry and depressed, but it felt like it was making my inattentiveness worse and it was killing my motivation.

Exact same results for me to a T

just_jill
08-08-14, 09:39 AM
I've been having the same thing - lack of motivation, unfocused, and irritated/angry. My doc took me off of adderall to put me on this. At 60g I was focused til about 1:30 pm, but i got bumped up to 80 and I am arguing with coworkers, frustrated beyond belief, and can't even stay focused for an hour.