View Full Version : How to clear full computer?

BellaVita
10-27-13, 02:23 AM
Quick ways. Cuz my computer is too full to even let me save a photo off the Internet.

I can't figure out what's taking up all the space. The pictures/vids and programs(that I can find) put together don't fill it up for sure.

Already defragmented, uninstalled many programs(mostly necessary programs left), emptied recycle bin etc....

Any quick ways??

That don't require buying things like external hard drives...(can't afford atm)

Thanks! :)

Fuzzy12
10-27-13, 02:25 AM
Could f you upload data to online storage like a cloud?

BellaVita
10-27-13, 02:31 AM
Could f you upload data to online storage like a cloud?

Idk how to do that? Does it cost money?

dvdnvwls
10-27-13, 02:33 AM
Bella - there will be a little app you can get that will show you what's taking all your space, so you can delete a couple of huge items and make space.

For now, do you have any movies on there that you're done watching? Full-length movies take up huge amounts of space.

dvdnvwls
10-27-13, 02:38 AM
Are you on Windows? You might have a look at TreeSize Free - on their website there's a screenshot of what kind of window you'd get, showing the sizes of all the items so you can decide what to throw away.

dvdnvwls
10-27-13, 02:40 AM
Some email programs save all the attachments you've ever gotten, in a folder somewhere. Throwing away old attachments can make some space.

dvdnvwls
10-27-13, 02:41 AM
If your hard drive is this full, then you'll need to clear away a large amount of stuff so this doesn't just happen again next week.

Fuzzy12
10-27-13, 02:43 AM
Idk how to do that? Does it cost money?

It depends how much data you have. There c are ca few free ones like drop box, Google And again I think. You usually sign up. On their website. Create a virtual folder on the system that is where you put files to upload or back up And that folder gets synchronised w with the online server

Fuzzy12
10-27-13, 02:54 AM
https://cloud.google.com/products/cloud-storage

I haven't used c anything except for drop box but I heard that Amazon is pretty good. I think for Google all you need is a Google account.

dvdnvwls
10-27-13, 02:58 AM
If you have precious items and you have some blank DVDs or CDs, then you can burn some of those precious items to make room on the hard drive.

Just make sure to check that your newly-burned DVDs are good, before you toss the originals!

BellaVita
10-27-13, 03:14 AM
Thanks guys! Checking into that site you mentioned dad now, and Fuzzy when I have the focus will check out the stuff you said too. :) :)

:grouphug:

I just really want to be able to sync my iPhone again and such...

dvdnvwls
10-27-13, 03:20 AM
Sounds good Bella - but DON'T sync anything or do anything else important, until this space problem is cleared up. Trust me, you do not want a failed sync due to lack of space.

purpleToes
10-27-13, 05:42 AM
http://windirstat.info/ similar idea to Treesize, but using visual layout grouping all the files visually according to size.

It's still free but Windows only. I love it because it's so intuitive to use. It will point out if you have unexpectedly huge files.

http://windirstat.info/images/windirstat.jpg

sarek
10-27-13, 06:04 AM
Also you can try if your windows version allows you to compress one or more of your hard drives.

Abi
10-27-13, 07:01 AM
You may have some malicious program doing this - have your run antivirus?

Abi
10-27-13, 07:13 AM
If you can free up about 20 Mb, I can arrange 360Amigo for you.

It's brilliant, puts CCleaner to shame. Freed up 5 Gigs on my Hard Drive the first time I ran it.

sarahsweets
10-27-13, 07:22 AM
I am going to jump in here...I have a mac, its 4 years old and unless I prostitute myself to get a new one because Apple is f**king ridiculous with their pricing its all I have. Lately Ive been using my son's HP because I have a similar problem as Bella along with the fact that its ridiculously slow. Does anyone have any free easy (like toddler easy) ways I can make it work again?

BellaVita
10-27-13, 07:35 AM
You may have some malicious program doing this - have your run antivirus?

:eek:

Need to...doing so soon....

dvdnvwls
10-27-13, 07:52 AM
I am going to jump in here...I have a mac, its 4 years old and unless I prostitute myself to get a new one because Apple is f**king ridiculous with their pricing its all I have. Lately Ive been using my son's HP because I have a similar problem as Bella along with the fact that its ridiculously slow. Does anyone have any free easy (like toddler easy) ways I can make it work again?
There's nothing wrong with a 4-year-old Mac unless it's been damaged; you'll be fine. Unless you really do mean toddler easy for real, in which case nobody can help. :)

- What's wrong with it right now? Just that its hard drive is full, or something else too?

- It will not be ridiculously slow anymore, after you get the problems fixed. (Unless it's broken and won't work at all, which I doubt.)

- Does it have stuff on it (pictures, documents, movies, music) that needs to be kept? If so, you'll need somewhere to put that stuff.

- Do you have a system install DVD for it?

TygerSan
10-27-13, 09:48 AM
Spacemonger is another program that'll let you see exactly what is where on your hard drive. You should be able to find a free demo copy from cnet or similar.

Have you run scandisk to see if your drive is physically ok?

My bet is you have some sort of malware that's eating space.