View Full Version : recovering addict BUT I honestly think I need to be prescribed adderall or vyvanse

MAGXL99
10-27-13, 11:24 PM
Whats going on guys? I wanted to see what you guys think of my situation. I

have been doing drugs since about 20 years old mostly weed and

experimented with pills and drank. (only in college though, in high school I

was a good kid! I used to bodybuild and personal train) Ive just about done

every drug besides crack and heroin…NOT bragging. I was self medicating

with adderall for about 2 years just buying it from people prescribed…it

helped me SO much get things done, especially school work and even just

being a more organized person. Well I came back from college to live at

home again for a bit…I couldnt find adderall one day and someone introduced

me to meth…I thought it was just adderall you could smoke…LITTLE DID I

KNOW. Well I got very addicted/dependent. I was gone, I wasnt me anymore,

I literally felt like I had the devil in me. I am 8 months clean from meth…

other drugs even longer and I thought I would never quit smoking weed… I

got a DWI two years ago and Im on probation for that…before I got on

probation for that, I got caught with 4 grams of meth and a gun…. That case

is still pending right now and that is why I changed my life around.

(i still drink occasionally but I dont WANT to, I literally tell myself in my head, okay im going to have a few drinks and do this and that….never happens! if you have a few drinks usually your not going to do ****…sounds stupid but thats just how my mind thinks)

My mom, sister and friends even tell me I might be ADD , some are 100% sure lol! I never wanted to believe it but now that Im clean from drugs and trying to get my life back, I think it might be possible.

I would tell you all my symptoms but it will sound cliche like every other person who says that they have ADD

my main thing is I have so much to do…certain drug courses, classes, meetings, I work and I also have my own goals that I desperately want to get to! Its all so overwhelming that I will just sit all day and do nothing, or procrastinate until the day is over and say Ill do it tomorrow, THEN do it when its last min! I lose things constantly too! I just lost my wallet for the millionth time! I want to make some REAL progress in my life.

I want to get back into shape and stick to my healthy eating habits and work out like I used to! CONSISTENCY

I want to go to all my classes and be organized in my weekly/daily schedule

I want to be financially secure and not have my parents supporting me anymore

I want to stay sober and I dont want to do drugs, I want to complete my probation

I HAVE GOALS, doing them is a different story!

IM SCARED IM GOING TO GO TO THE DOC AND SINCE I AM A RECOVERING ADDICT they wont even think about prescribing me adderall. I want to be upfront about everything, I dont want them to think Im just trying to get high. I want to use it as prescribed, with counseling and completely involved in recovery…I just honestly think I need it.. but I dont know if they will see it that way since I used to use it without a prescription. when I did use it I saw amazing results….I dont know exactly how to word this when I go into the doc though…any ideas?

I believe getting this script will keep me from violating my probation and keep me from drinking! I HONESTLY believe if I could use it the right way and had it legally I wouldnt even consider doing drugs again.

dvdnvwls
10-28-13, 01:08 AM
I suggest that you go to the doctor with your symptoms, not with your drug requests. It usually works better that way, recovering addict or no.

MAGXL99
10-28-13, 01:11 AM
I do agree, theres no way I would say " please prescribe me adderall" lol Im just going to point all arrows to I am getting help but I think I need to be medicated

dvdnvwls
10-28-13, 02:09 AM
I do agree, theres no way I would say " please prescribe me adderall" lol Im just going to point all arrows to I am getting help but I think I need to be medicated
There's no need to do that. If you need medication, it's obvious.

sarahsweets
10-28-13, 04:16 AM
Most doctors will be hesitant to prescribe stimulants to a recovering addict however alot of times if you have a good doctor who knows his stuff he should realize that addiction often goes hand in hand with adhd. dvd is right though, you should not go in with a preconceived notion of which drug you want for adhd.

Nate W
10-28-13, 06:56 PM
I would seek out a doctor that specializes in BOTH drug addictions and ADHD. The two go together like bread and butter. Be as honest as you can with him/her and put your faith in the doctor.

I can offer this though: You may want to first explore Strattera. It is a non-stimulant ADHD medication with zero potential for abuse. For some it works well, others it is noneffective, and yet others can't bear the side effects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomoxetine

--Nate

lamart37
10-30-13, 07:27 AM
I am recovering addict myself,Been on suboxone 5 years,started at 16 mg now down too 6mg.i have a great psychiatrist he knew my drug abuse came from me not being treated when diagnosed at 7.well I was but on and off.so now I'm 37 wasted 12 years of life.finally me and my mom talked to him,and we made a deal.mom brings vyvanse and klonopin every morning.i take drug test at sub Dr and psychiatrist.but it has really helped,my depression is better than ever,anxiety better,started activitys again.my siblings all said we got our brother back.if anyone out there has experienced my issues and got through I want to know your story.any questions just ask.be glad to talk

MAGXL99
10-30-13, 04:03 PM
yeah Im thinking that is something I can discuss with my doc too when I make an appointment probably today and try to get in within the next week. Ive never been to a psychiatrist before, I have talked to my dad about it and the possibility that I have ADD but also the possibility that I might need adderall and he actually agreed and it kinda blew my mind…I told him Im willing to let them watch me and I guess drug tests are possible, to make sure I have the right amount of adderall in my system. I dont exactly want to straight up ask him for adderall, but Im going to tell him Ive used adderall in the past and I felt focused and I actually could get things done…even tell him I have talked to my dad about it…we will see what happends. good lord Im even having trouble finishing typing this, I always forget wtf Ima say or type lol

sarahsweets
10-31-13, 05:15 AM
One of thr big misconceptions is that drug addicts cant be trusted with stimulants when very often they in fact save their lives.

Modafinilguy
10-31-13, 10:22 PM
OP,

What is the most Adderall that you can have taken in one day?

Have you used adderall for multiple days so you did not need to sleep?

What ways did you take your adderall?

MAGXL99
11-03-13, 06:09 PM
I would usually take 2-3 30mg a day…

I would take it too late and be up late studying or something but usually never stayed up for days on end!

I would take it to do home work, long papers, I wrote a 44 page paper one time for technical writing. To keep my room clean, do chores, make sure anything I need school wise was taken care of, I would use it for work so I would stay focused and pay attention to detail

Modafinilguy
11-05-13, 02:28 PM
I would ask yourself this question (I am not especially familiar with adderall doses, I am a Ritalin person).

* Have you on more than 3 occasions ever taken more than the max prescribed dose of adderall?

* Have you on more than 3 occasions ever taken Adderall other than by swallowing it, such as "smoking/snorting/etc"?

If you are yes to any of them, I pretty certain you will run into trouble.

Even if not, this is a very risky scanario.

I have experience in this area. You have serious stimulant addiction history (meth) and general are obvious very prone to misusing substances.

Have you experienced withdrawal/craving from stopping Adderall? The fact you went onto "meth" after Adderall stopped is very concerning.

Wanting stims to super increase productivity and "power" you through lots of stuff you have to do is problematic.

Also you have not had proper diagnosis, yet you want specific medication, from various experimentation.

Op I don't mean to be mean, but your post raised pretty much every alarm bell to me.

You really need a proper, professional independent assessment, and you must not try and manipulate things to present as "ADD" (because you think you have it and know what med you want), otherwise you are not getting honest assessment.

In fact to be frank, I think if you get into Adderal- the only hope would be if a pharmacy or something rations it to you- that you are highly likely to get back into abuse cycle. I have seen it, my friends mother diagnosed ADHD and meth addict, she got hold of dexamphetamine from script, abuses crap out of them.

I think most doctors are going to think the risk from you falling back to stimulant addiction (or even back to meth) outweighs the potential benefits.

Falling back into that could destroy your life quickly, so I reckon they would want you on strattera or something if they diagnose you with ADHD.

BTW after meth addiction, motivation levels are often low for couple of years.

You are on probation- essentially as consequence for stimulant addiction- and you want to get back into stimulants, but this time will be a good boy?

MAGXL99
11-05-13, 05:20 PM
Actually yes I will be a "good boy"

I dont want to abuse drugs anymore, I want to get on with my life.

I go to classes such as AA twice a week, I go to SOP twice a week, as well as one on one counseling sessions. I was self medicating with adderall and I didnt even know what meth was, but someone told me it did the same thing as adderall…i honestly had no idea what i was gettting myself into

I have always had trouble focusing, I am going to see the doc tomorrow at 2 SO I will be up front and explain my situation

I have even talked to my parents about this and I am willing for them to oversee my daily doses. they are supportive and I know I will be able to use adderall the correct way if I get a prescription…

even before I started doing meth and adderall, I had focus problems, procrastinated all the time, my mom would always say i never pay attention

since i been in these classes to help myself i have been able to step outside of myself and be honest with my behavior.

im tired non stop, im lethargic all day…I will get to work and my classes but thats it…i understand it will take time to get my energy back from quitting meth

I have been doing very well! staying away from drugs and old using buddies but I want to build my life back, and I think that adderall would help me right now

honestly I have my head on straight, Im not one of these people on the forum saying im only 3 WEEKS clean or a month clean and I WANT ADDERALL

honestly I know what will work for me, yes its been through experimenting…people who have ADD are likely to be addicts and self medicate.

If i dont get the script i want ill probably go to a different doc honestly!

DichotOhMy
11-06-13, 04:05 AM
I think it's appropriate to be honest with the doctor about your substance abuse history if: you're earnest in your efforts to abstain, you're past the point of use-related cessation effects (weeks to up to a year or so) and, most importantly, you can demonstrate your earnestness to stay clean when talking with the doctor.

I agree with the notion that stimulant medication can save some addicts lives if they can stick to using the medication as directed. Beyond the obvious ADHD-symptom relief, you'll start getting things done which helps the lack of self esteem that makes addicts tick, and the meds can combat the sort of existential depression that makes people use in the first place. These things feel stunningly true for me at least and I can see how it goes for others.

MAGXL99
11-06-13, 02:06 PM
thanks OHMY I agree with all that…I am going to the doc in less than 2 hours so I will keep you guys posted

MAGXL99
11-06-13, 05:23 PM
she gave me welbutrin which sucks…but she said give it 3 weeks and if it doesnt get better then we can try a stimulant…she doesnt prescribe adderall at all though, she will only prescribe vyvance…so im def going back and even if this **** does work a little bit Im ganna get the vyvance lol. my dad will have to come with me and she will make sure they hold it for me…which is fine. as long as i have something to get rid of the cravings

Arlington845va
11-06-13, 09:02 PM
Don't tell him u did meth and anything heavy.... Don't say you're an addict cuz even if u are, you might be clean ad legitimately need ADHD meds. Im a recovering addict w a couple of relapses in the 49 years I've been alive BUT I rely on my Adderall. I didn't get diagnosed with add until I was 34 I think.... I've been on the meds for around 15 years! Just my opinion.... Feel free to email me if you want to discuss over the phone. This is my first post on here even thought the site says I registered years ago! No biggie... Matt

MAGXL99
11-08-13, 05:04 PM
hah thats whats up, I did tell her that i was an addict and she wouldnt prescribe vyvanse right away she says the 21st I will be able to get it, if wellbutrin doesnt work…which all it has done is give me headaches

MAGXL99
11-10-13, 02:31 PM
11 more days!!! cant wait!

MAGXL99
11-15-13, 11:25 PM
4 days

AlexaN
11-16-13, 01:10 AM
One of thr big misconceptions is that drug addicts cant be trusted with stimulants when very often they in fact save their lives.

I disagree.
A drug addict who relapsed at least once should never get near stimulants.

dvdnvwls
11-16-13, 02:22 AM
I disagree.
There is significant evidence that what you've said is not always true.

sarahsweets
11-16-13, 06:49 AM
Interesting view point. Have you read any of the statistics regarding adhd and self medication and how treating someone with adhd lowers the risk for substance abuse?

I disagree.

mctavish23
11-16-13, 02:26 PM
I thought I'd already commented on this thread, but apparently not.

I'm a recovering cocaine addict, with 2 outpatient treatments, and 25 1/2 + years of

daily 12 Step Recovery; beginning on 03/25/1988. I consult 1 day/wk at the inpatient

CD treatment program, next door to the rural, non-profit community mental health center

where I've worked for nearly 30 years now (01/24/1984). I also tell "my story" once a

month.

I've been on medication for ADHD about 25 years now; approximately 10 of which have

now included stimulants from informed physicians. I just was recently invited to present

to our local Drug Court Team's weekly meeting (on Halloween), regarding the data on

how the use of stimulant medications for diagnosed ADHD (from an informed physician),

DECREASES THE RISK OF BOTH A SUBSTANCE USE DISORDER AND CRIMINALITY. In fact,

there are NO DATA to the contrary. My hope is that they'll acquiesce and allow their

ADHD clientele to resume their medications from an informed physician, as well as receive

their Recovery medallions upon completion; something that hasn't happened. The reality

is that without their medication, they're being (inadvertently) set up to fail.

Hope that helps some.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

AlexaN
11-16-13, 04:08 PM
There is significant evidence that what you've said is not always true.

I know, i am not God, but i am an ex addict, with education in Psychology, knowledge of how addiction works and what it can do to someone who has ADHD.....just my own opinion.

AlexaN
11-16-13, 04:10 PM
I thought I'd already commented on this thread, but apparently not.

I'm a recovering cocaine addict, with 2 outpatient treatments, and 25 1/2 + years of

daily 12 Step Recovery; beginning on 03/25/1988. I consult 1 day/wk at the inpatient

CD treatment program, next door to the rural, non-profit community mental health center

where I've worked for nearly 30 years now (01/24/1984). I also tell "my story" once a

month.

I've been on medication for ADHD about 25 years now; approximately 10 of which have

now included stimulants from informed physicians. I just was recently invited to present

to our local Drug Court Team's weekly meeting (on Halloween), regarding the data on

how the use of stimulant medications for diagnosed ADHD (from an informed physician),

DECREASES THE RISK OF BOTH A SUBSTANCE USE DISORDER AND CRIMINALITY. In fact,

there are NO DATA to the contrary. My hope is that they'll acquiesce and allow their

ADHD clientele to resume their medications from an informed physician, as well as receive

their Recovery medallions upon completion; something that hasn't happened. The reality

is that without their medication, they're being (inadvertently) set up to fail.

Hope that helps some.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Of course there are many like you and i am glad it is so....but i know the other side and it is bad....and painful.

MAGXL99
11-16-13, 04:19 PM
I know for a fact if I get the meds I need, I will have a better life and not be tempted by alcohol or drugs near as much! I am very excited bc I dont WANT to do drugs anymore

I want to get better and get on with my life…especially NOT violate my probation for self medicating! I see the doc the 20th and I could not be happier…

I told her EVERYTHING, no holding back. She said I am severely depressed and I have ADD.

She started me off on wellbutrin which SUCKS

Im still taking it but it makes me think of sad things, gives me mild to severe headaches, nightmares, i cant go to sleep and i cant stay asleep…

I want to try something else.

I am for sure going to tell her I want to try vyvanse… my parents will hold my script for me

she didnt start me out on vyvanse bc of my history of drug abuse but now that Im going back she said this time we will be able to try it!

PUMPED UP!!!

I have only been able to keep my cravings for meth aside because the possibility of me getting this script. before I went to the doc I was in a bad place and I was really wanting to smoke… =/.

I think it will help me focus and get my life back on track more than it is…I am going to all my classes and doing well on probation…I want to get some of my hobbies back and possibly get another job on top of the one I have!

AlexaN
11-16-13, 04:26 PM
I know for a fact if I get the meds I need, I will have a better life and not be tempted by alcohol or drugs near as much! I am very excited bc I dont WANT to do drugs anymore

I want to get better and get on with my life…especially NOT violate my probation for self medicating! I see the doc the 20th and I could not be happier…

I told her EVERYTHING, no holding back. She said I am severely depressed and I have ADD.

She started me off on wellbutrin which SUCKS

Im still taking it but it makes me think of sad things, gives me mild to severe headaches, nightmares, i cant go to sleep and i cant stay asleep…

I want to try something else.

I am for sure going to tell her I want to try vyvanse… my parents will hold my script for me

she didnt start me out on vyvanse bc of my history of drug abuse but now that Im going back she said this time we will be able to try it!

PUMPED UP!!!

I have only been able to keep my cravings for meth aside because the possibility of me getting this script. before I went to the doc I was in a bad place and I was really wanting to smoke… =/.

I think it will help me focus and get my life back on track more than it is…I am going to all my classes and doing well on probation…I want to get some of my hobbies back and possibly get another job on top of the one I have!

I am glad you feel mature enough and strong enough and want to avoud drugs at any cost.
I hope you succeed!
I wish you only the very best, a new start, the job you want and put all the drug mess far behind you.
But please be careful.

MAGXL99
11-16-13, 05:52 PM
thank you = ).

mctavish23
11-16-13, 06:48 PM
I'm aware of the other side as well. I've had a number of friends die from the disease.

Everything I do professionally is evidence based (research derived & supported), which is

where those data came from.

I wish you much healing + happiness.

tc

Robert

MAGXL99
11-16-13, 07:56 PM
thanks a lot robert! that really means a lot. your post earlier was amazing dude. i read it quickly earlier but i went back and read it again slowly and it ment a lot more the second time. awesome bro. awesome

MAGXL99
11-20-13, 02:38 PM
goin to see my doc today, hopefully get my script for vyvanse this time!:rolleyes:

Antares
11-20-13, 07:37 PM
To the O.P.

Your situation is somewhat similar to mine, with the drugs. Some things to consider:
* Drug abuse and ADHD often go hand in hand, it's a symptom of it.
* Stimulants for people who truly have ADHD has been shown to reduce the chances of drug abuse.
* If your psychiatrist knows their stuff, they should know the above.

I wouldn't worry about it. Go see the doc. I was worried about it too until I did some reading. It's really quite ironic how it can work. I'm sure the doc would want you to be stable too instead of taking inconsistent doses of street amphetamine and also all the health risks that go with it.

Antares
11-20-13, 07:46 PM
Some proof of the protective role of stimulants and substance abuse disorder:

<a href="http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/index.php?id=22661&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=176168">Link - Current Psychiatry.</a>

Hope that works. Of course the doctor will want to know you have dried up from drugs and you haven't used for a period of time.

MeepMeep
11-23-13, 08:24 PM
Mag, how did it go?

BellaVita
11-23-13, 08:33 PM
Wishing you the best of luck! :)

Modafinilguy
11-29-13, 02:47 AM
MAGXL99 (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=77632),

I can't remember but think I posted something opposite.

If you had a meth addict, the best research I read indicated more data is needed, BUT if you can be controlled on a dose of ORALLY TAKEN psycho-stimulants, and maybe rationed by pharmacy, then that may be in your best interest, assuming you meet FULL ADHD criteria.

But there is a risk. You must ONLY ever take them orally. And they should be rationed daily by pharmacy. If you abuse them, that should be the end of your supply.

Modafinilguy
11-29-13, 02:49 AM
Some data I read suggests former meth addicts may need upto twice the dose of normal. But it is very important that it is SWALLOWED, not taken any other way, and that the dose is CONTROLLED.

If you can meet that, then it may benefit you yes.

getReal
03-25-14, 08:52 AM
Most doctors will be hesitant to prescribe stimulants to a recovering addict however alot of times if you have a good doctor who knows his stuff he should realize that addiction often goes hand in hand with adhd. dvd is right though, you should not go in with a preconceived notion of which drug you want for adhd.

Are all of your statements on this site informed by your dependence on Adderall?

getReal
03-25-14, 08:56 AM
Actually yes I will be a "good boy"

I dont want to abuse drugs anymore, I want to get on with my life.

I go to classes such as AA twice a week, I go to SOP twice a week, as well as one on one counseling sessions. I was self medicating with adderall and I didnt even know what meth was, but someone told me it did the same thing as adderall…i honestly had no idea what i was gettting myself into

I have always had trouble focusing, I am going to see the doc tomorrow at 2 SO I will be up front and explain my situation

I have even talked to my parents about this and I am willing for them to oversee my daily doses. they are supportive and I know I will be able to use adderall the correct way if I get a prescription…
even before I started doing meth and adderall, I had focus problems, procrastinated all the time, my mom would always say i never pay attention

since i been in these classes to help myself i have been able to step outside of myself and be honest with my behavior.

im tired non stop, im lethargic all day…I will get to work and my classes but thats it…i understand it will take time to get my energy back from quitting meth

I have been doing very well! staying away from drugs and old using buddies but I want to build my life back, and I think that adderall would help me right now

honestly I have my head on straight, Im not one of these people on the forum saying im only 3 WEEKS clean or a month clean and I WANT ADDERALL

honestly I know what will work for me, yes its been through experimenting…people who have ADD are likely to be addicts and self medicate.

If i dont get the script i want ill probably go to a different doc honestly!

WOAH DUDE. Reconsider your logic, please

sarahsweets
03-26-14, 05:00 AM
If by dependence you mean, level of functioning through experience on stimulants then I guess yes. I have been on stimulants for 9 years. If what you said was some sort of backhanded dig then Im not sure what you mean.

Are all of your statements on this site informed by your dependence on Adderall?