View Full Version : Finally got a 504 plan!

busymomonli
10-30-13, 12:23 PM
After being denied a 504 plan last year because the school acknowledged my son's adhd but said it wasn't affecting any "major life funtions", I requested a full IEP evaluation. They then requested a behavioral assessment.

Today, we met to discuss the results of the IEP. Guess what? He doesn't have a learning disability so he doesn't qualify for an IEP but feel he needs a 504 plan! Nothing like going around in a circle! If they would have just granted it in the beginning, it would have saved them the time and expense of all that testing.

Gah! I'm glad I finally got him some accomodations though.

Daydreamin22
10-30-13, 05:52 PM
That's silly of the school! The more you treat his symptoms the better he'll do. That is a major flaw in the education system, if you ask me. On a lighter note, glad he got some accommodation! You might go to university of Pennsylvania mental health to look up some journal articles to present to the school/board of education. That's the number 1 center for adhd in the country. Harvard also has a good mental health facility and so does Yale. Hard to argue with the Ivy Leagues! :)

Lunacie
10-30-13, 06:12 PM
Everyone is looking at early intervention for kids with Autism. I think all
mental health disorders need to be recognized and have treatment as early
as possible. It would end up being so much easier for the schools, and
certainly for the kids.

My daughter has finally admitted that her now 15 year old daughter could
have used an IEP or 504 several years ago. We've convinced her to check
into online schooling at last, which would be great because there's a center
here in our town so she could get some face-to-face time with a teacher
when she's really struggling with something.

Better late than never ... but I still think early intervention is the best.

mamabear78
10-31-13, 11:35 PM
After being denied a 504 plan last year because the school acknowledged my son's adhd but said it wasn't affecting any "major life funtions", I requested a full IEP evaluation. They then requested a behavioral assessment.

Today, we met to discuss the results of the IEP. Guess what? He doesn't have a learning disability so he doesn't qualify for an IEP but feel he needs a 504 plan! Nothing like going around in a circle! If they would have just granted it in the beginning, it would have saved them the time and expense of all that testing.

Gah! I'm glad I finally got him some accomodations though.

Congrats on getting the 504! I know this is something we are going to pursue soon, but your post made me realize I'm clueless.

My son just recently got diagnosed, so I'm new to this. I'm confused...if we have the diagnosis from a doctor does that not automatically equate to getting a 504?! Do we still have to jump through hoops with the school system to get this right accomplished? If so, frustration city.

busymomonli
11-01-13, 09:33 AM
It depends on the school really. A diagnosis should, indeed, qualify him.

The law say this:

To qualify under Section 504 a student must:

Be determined to have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities including learning and behavior.
Have a record of having such an impairment OR
Be regarded as having such impairment
My district was fighting me on the substantially limits one or more life function part. They said, since he wasn't failing, it was not effecting his learning, therefore they turned me down.

Most people who have a diagnosis don't have much of a problem, but my district just doesn't like to hand out 504 plans.