View Full Version : cannot take adderall without abilify

JuliaRose
11-01-13, 08:42 AM
[/CENTER][/CENTER]I have been taking abilify 5mg once a day for about 3 years for bipolar ll disorder. About 4 months ago I was prescribed adderall for ADD. I have been take about 40mg a day. Last week I went to my doctor. We decided to try and stop the abilify because I felt I no longer needed it and that the adderall would be enough to keep me functional. So I began cutting the 5mg abilify in half then I stopped takeing it completely
about 2 days later I stared having shortness of breath, tightness in my chest, muscle weakness and pain(primarily in my arms, I began talking in a different voice, I was naseus, I had a horible headache, and tingeling in my fingers.
when I contacted my doctor he told me to immediatly begin the abilify again. I did and 2 hours later all of my symptoms dissapeared

apparently some people cannot take adderall without abilify. Does anyone know why?

silivrentoliel
11-01-13, 12:40 PM
could it have been withdrawl? I mean, even at splitting a 5mg pill in half, that's still 2.5mg, which is enough to not want to go cold turkey on... at least, I wouldn't.

peripatetic
11-01-13, 01:54 PM
apparently some people cannot take adderall without abilify. Does anyone know why?

sometimes you must have a co existing or even primary condition under control (the use of antipsychotics or mood stabilisers being key...depending on what the co existing thing is) *before* you can take stimulants for adhd. and then you still have to be careful. some people will discontinue just the non stimulants and that always leads to trouble in my observation. i'm more a mass discontinuer so not really relevant on that last bit to me.

hope that helps and best to you

addthree
11-01-13, 02:10 PM
Have you tried another ADD medication? Have you tried not taking either one? If you stop the Abilify without Adderall what happens?

JuliaRose
11-01-13, 03:45 PM
I looked up the withdrawal symptoms of abilify and I did not expierience any of them. Howevever some of the side effects while taking abilify matched what I expierienced.

I have never stopped the abilify before. I have stopped the adderall though and did not expierience anything like this. Yes I have tried other add medications. Concerta made me extremely anxious. Vyvanse put me to sleep.