View Full Version : Taking Magnesium can make you crazy?

killadhd
11-03-13, 10:31 AM
I got around to reading this today after taking a Magnesium Taurate pill in the morning: http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/8/3/189.full . Shortly afterwards, for the first time, ever, I heard a song 'loudly', louder than I had ever heard it before. It definitely wasn't mild background chatter anymore. For a while now I've been getting more anxious, afraid of my own reflection and stuff like that.

The body is a gentle equilibrium and the periods of being focused and calm, with or without amphetamine, followed by disruption, that I have experienced, make sense in the context that by fixing one thing I am eventually disrupting something else.

Before 2 days ago I was taking Magnesium Glycinate (Glycine is part of the NMDA receptor process) and I was a little weirded out, but much less so than very recently.

Without getting into a discussion on the veracity of the sources (etc.), a summary of the link:

1. Ketamine is a NMDA antagonist.
2. Magnesium is a milder NMDA antagonist. Taurine is also a NMDA antagonist. I started Magnesium Taurate 2 days ago.
3. People who take Ketamine develop schizophrenic symptoms.
4. Too much NMDA antagonism will reduce your glutaminergic activity too far.
5. Schizophrenia is hypothesised as being too much dopamine, too little glutamate or both.
6. Amphetamines give you a blast of dopamine.
7. (Implicit) Magnesium is not a type of NMDA antagonist that has no psychometric effects.
8. Memantine is.

So taking amphetamines and magnesium at the same time can reduce your glutaminergic function and increase your dopamine. This corresponds with both hypotheses of schizophrenia causality.

I read on these boards that people with ADHD have too high glutaminergic activity. 2 teams of researchers independently found otherwise:

'A SciBX article in January 2012 commented that "UPenn and MIT teams have independently converged on mGluRs as players in ADHD and autism. The findings suggest agonizing mGluRs in patients with ADHD" '

The second article (http://www.nature.com/scibx/journal/...bx.2012.3.html (http://www.nature.com/scibx/journal/v5/n1/full/scibx.2012.3.html)) explains that 'Among 2,493 patients with ADHD and 9,222 controls, deletions in the mGluR5 (GRM5) gene were found in 10 ADHD cases and 1 control (p=1.3610−6). Deletions in genes for two related receptors, mGluR7 (GRM7) and mGluR8 (GRM8), were found in six and eight cases compared with zero controls (p=3.5210−6 and p=8.1410−5, respectively).' MGluRs are metabotropic glutamate receptors. 1 and 5 increase NMDA activity, 2 and 3 decrease NMDA activity and attenuate schizophrenia and 4, 6, 7 and 8 reduce NMDA activity without attenuating schizophrenia.

I wonder if Magnesium and Taurine work in a way that attenuates schizophrenia but the first page implies that Magnesium does

RicardoBogie
11-03-13, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the information.

I take magnesium every evening before bedtime because if I don"t my muscles get sore from working out.

I got my magnesium level tested (blood labs) and its in the right range now. It wasn't before supplementation.

I heard that magnesium is good for ADHD.

I also take taurine, albeit separately.

Does the science point toward decreasing Magnesium and Taurine intake ?

I have found them both to be beneficial in recommended doses.

killadhd
11-03-13, 11:19 AM
Yeah me too. I would think that it is more important to get enough Glutamine, Glycine and Aspartate. This might be a further explanation of the high incidence of ADHD in India (15%).

The first link mentions how NMDA antagonism is linked to reducing depression, so I wonder if people taking Magnesium and avoiding Aspartate or Glycine for antidepression are attacking the wrong thing.

RicardoBogie
11-04-13, 10:34 AM
I used to take l-glutamine.

I see glycine is available as a supplement and people report that it helps them to feel relaxed and de-stressed. I tried gaba supplements for that and found them a bit too powerful.

I'm thinking of taking glycine. Is that a good idea or is it something easily obtained from diet ? I know very little about it.

PS The glycinate form of magnesium was very effective and I preferred it for just before sleep because it was so relaxing. On the other hand I can take magnesium citrate anytime.

killadhd
11-04-13, 05:46 PM
What did glutamine feel like?

How much glycinate were you taking? More than 100 mg a day made me fidgety and unfocused in extremis.

As for whether it is a good idea or not, my psychiatrist confirmed that there is no way to check clinically for glutaminergic activity. I don't think there's any way of knowing without trying it out. My experience has been that more protein and exercise has reduced anxiety, but the second article suggests that some of our people lack the NMDA reducing receptors, and others lack the NMDA boosting receptors. It might well be that other people become more anxious doing what I'm doing.

Until recently I was mostly vegetarian, probably making me glutamine deficient. I hope the effectiveness of protein and exercise will increase over time. Songs seem more chatterlike, and sometimes I'm only getting anxious because I'm fearing anxiety, so it's certainly better than before.

Curiously, when I was outside I felt fine. As I stepped into my flat, I felt a pang of stress of anxiety. Going to keep my windows open a lot more to see if that helps get rid of whatever in here is freaking me out.

RicardoBogie
11-04-13, 06:25 PM
I was taking 500 mg a day of glutamine. I took 4 magnesium glycinate at 133mg (combined.. mag and glycinate).

Glutamine didn't feel like anything.

More protein seems to help a lot of people. Too many carbs will raise insulin.

I think you will notice protein and exercise will pan out for you. Did you read "Spark" ? Its written by a person with ADHD. Big picture: exercise is literally like Miracle Gro for your brain.

Even if you just look at a human skeleton it becomes obvious that we are made for movement.

Yes, keep that fresh air coming into your living area.... as much as the weather permits.

I have a prescription for a Vit D test. I get it tested every year. There are plenty of studies that underline the need for Vit D. I live in a 4 season area so I take Vit D supplements all winter long. If you don't get any sun in the winter it might be an idea to look into Vit D.