View Full Version : Back pain - Exercise + Nutrition sections

SB_UK
11-03-13, 12:43 PM
Have had serious back pain for years.
Stops exercise - it feels like the back is going to go into cramp.

Diazepam (nasty addictive drug, muscle relaxant from time to time) has been necesssary to stop the cramping.
It's effective.

Works by potentiating GABA.

Stopped eating and then took 40 ml MCT oil.

Similar effect.

Mechanism ?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9778572

Importance of this finding to ADHD ?
ADHD definitely involves the emergence of a new social species, of a mind which is fast-tracked to wisdom - however - have been unable to nail whether we're best suited to vegan ketogenic or vegan low-carb dieting.

Fibre can be converted by the gut microbiome into SCFAs and used to nourish us - at least in part.

Gut feeling :-)
- we're predisposed to ketosis by gut microbiome fibre conversion into SCFA energy.

I don't think we're restricted to hitting ketosis via oil
- that's too restrictive - and not very appealing.

Shifting into a pro-mitochondrial ketogenic state from fibre (from real vegetable) conversion into SCFAs - strikes me as a neat evolutionary turn (even if nobody here likes veggies)
- meaning, of course, that we get to survive on the easiest foodstuff to prepare - and the most efficient too.

-*-

Anyway - re-inforcement that MCT oil (inducing ketone bodies) mimics the muscle relaxant effects of diazepam
- and am forced to consider that the ketone body / pro-GABA state will have the same anxiolytic effects as diazepam also.

Let food be thy medicine

Unmanagable
11-03-13, 02:14 PM
Not sure if this is directly related, but it's nutritionally related. I remember and appreciate all the information I've learned through you sharing your nutritional journeys. Thank you.

EDITED TO ADD: Oops!!!! Just saw the thread is in the exercise section. My bad! I assumed it was nutrition w/o reading it first.

I've eliminated gluten in my diet for the last 3ish weeks and have been taking a Turmeric supplement, Magnesium, and Selenium (to build up to the Iodine supplement). This is all under the close guidance of a Registered Dietitian (one who is open to bartering time vs. money).

Prior to meeting with anyone for help, I had eliminated most processed foods and health and beauty supplies. I make my own lotions, toothpastes, barter for other supplies made by local peeps, etc. Gluten is in so much stuff I would have never expected. I noticed I had been feeling less foggy in the last week or so, but hadn't noticed any real major differences until yesterday.

When I work the farmers' market, I'm up at 4:30-5ish, after sleeping maybe 3 hours, on my feet from then until 2ish in the afternoon, and I'm usually in so much pain from inflammation, bone spurs, etc. in my ankles, feet, knees, and back that I just collapse for the rest of the day. Yesterday was the first day I'd worked it since I started the gluten elimination.

The only pain I experienced during, and post-market, was my arm/shoulder pain (that will be diagnosed more thoroughly via MRI Wednesday) from not remembering the sling and overusing it.

I managed to deliver produce to a friend, collect another friend's mail and deliver it to the nursing home, return the market van a couple towns over, took the scenic route home, put market groceries away, fixed dinner, and still felt like I could do more, but didn't want to blow a gasket. lol I figured I'd sleep at least 10-12 hours to make up for it, but felt wide awake and still no usual market aches and pains after 5 hours of sleep.

Keeping up and balancing the routine is the hardest damn part. Imagine that. Realizing how under nourished I am, and society is as a whole, is the most saddening and infuriating part.

SB_UK
11-03-13, 03:34 PM
Not sure if this is directly related, but it's nutritionally related. I remember and appreciate all the information I've learned through you sharing your nutritional journeys. Thank you.

EDITED TO ADD: Oops!!!! Just saw the thread is in the exercise section. My bad! I assumed it was nutrition w/o reading it first.

I've eliminated gluten in my diet for the last 3ish weeks and have been taking a Turmeric supplement, Magnesium, and Selenium (to build up to the Iodine supplement). This is all under the close guidance of a Registered Dietitian (one who is open to bartering time vs. money).

Prior to meeting with anyone for help, I had eliminated most processed foods and health and beauty supplies. I make my own lotions, toothpastes, barter for other supplies made by local peeps, etc. Gluten is in so much stuff I would have never expected. I noticed I had been feeling less foggy in the last week or so, but hadn't noticed any real major differences until yesterday.

When I work the farmers' market, I'm up at 4:30-5ish, after sleeping maybe 3 hours, on my feet from then until 2ish in the afternoon, and I'm usually in so much pain from inflammation, bone spurs, etc. in my ankles, feet, knees, and back that I just collapse for the rest of the day. Yesterday was the first day I'd worked it since I started the gluten elimination.

The only pain I experienced during, and post-market, was my arm/shoulder pain (that will be diagnosed more thoroughly via MRI Wednesday) from not remembering the sling and overusing it.

I managed to deliver produce to a friend, collect another friend's mail and deliver it to the nursing home, return the market van a couple towns over, took the scenic route home, put market groceries away, fixed dinner, and still felt like I could do more, but didn't want to blow a gasket. lol I figured I'd sleep at least 10-12 hours to make up for it, but felt wide awake and still no usual market aches and pains after 5 hours of sleep.

Keeping up and balancing the routine is the hardest damn part. Imagine that. Realizing how under nourished I am, and society is as a whole, is the most saddening and infuriating part.

I've had a few days of sinking back into a bread based diet (our kitchen is out of action) - and the pain has started.

It could be gluten.

Sadly - the problem's compounded by the GI of bread.

It really was incredible though - the MCT oil deactivated muscular stiffness.

I really want to advocate the ketogenic lifestyle - but the vegan ketogenic lifestyle (so bread's out ... ...) is not easy.

SB_UK
11-07-13, 02:18 PM

I think you're right - pain is massively elevated on gluten ... ... dropped it today - a couple of weeks with it (we've no kitchen currently) following weeks without it at all (when we had a kitchen)
- and there's a difference.

Looks like dopamine doesn't work (dexedrine doesn't work on me and causes pain) and gluten exorphin/caseomorphin, or the opiate - similarly.

Dopamine (faster) and Opioid (slower) just cause pain.

The 2 key 'addictive' systems of our system no longer work - or rather - I can't 'eat' 'em - meaning that the systems are being activated elsewhere.