View Full Version : Overcoming Stimulant Addiction

Daydreamin22
11-03-13, 11:11 PM
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Mental_Health_Letter/2009/March/Overcoming_cocaine_or_stimulant_addiction

This is a topic that often comes up. Thought its be helpful.

sarahsweets
11-06-13, 05:43 AM
I cant imagine a vaccine for addiction.

Modafinilguy
11-06-13, 07:16 AM
Besides nicotine and caffeine which are consider mild stimulants, I have never abused one of the main dopamine boosting stimulants, for which I am thankful, because these drugs hold the key to treating my ADHD.

purpleToes
11-06-13, 07:17 AM
Amazing...training the immune system to "attack" the addictive drugs before they can work.

daveddd
11-06-13, 07:19 AM
i believe after the vaccine you then have to do the drug a couple times to "learn" the non rewarding response

also, i think you need to get the shot every 6 months or so

DichotOhMy
11-06-13, 10:07 PM
A few years ago, I read into how disulfiram was being investigated (and sometimes prescribed) for treating alcoholism, but didn't realize it was also looked at for cocaine addiction. I also wasn't aware of the other drugs talked about in the article being investigated - especially modanafil for this use.

Personally, I think using drugs to "block" the pleasurable effects of substance abuse, and to even create an aversion in the user towards substance abuse, are an interesting idea, but are in no way a cure. At best this approach is a short-term band aid. Until they invent a panacea treatment that combats the reasons that addicts actually use in the first place, or until the addict reconciles those reasons on his or her own, the addict will not overcome addiction and will likely move on to using something else instead.