View Full Version : Interesting article on supplements NYT

Dizfriz
11-04-13, 10:04 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/science/herbal-supplements-are-often-not-what-they-seem.html?hpw

"Herbal Supplements are often not what they seem"

Thought it might be of some interest.

Dizfriz

Daydreamin22
11-04-13, 11:04 AM
Thank you!

Abi
11-04-13, 11:08 AM
Great find Diz.

I've been singing this song on forum, to my family members, and even certain clinicians (my dentist and optometrist) for years now.

ginniebean
11-04-13, 12:06 PM
The myth of the loving wholesome supplement seller who thinks of nothing but your wellbeing and not the billions of profit they make has to go.

I can only hope this is a start.

highgear56
11-20-13, 12:21 AM
I have conflicted feelings about this. It's become more prevalent that big pharmaceuticals are going to try to push their drugs on the population and label natural herbs as bad, and are possibly in cahoots with big media conglomerates like NYtimes. Just something to consider.

Either way, there are more stories and studies showing how dangerous ADD medication can be. I speak from experience, almost having a heart attack on a year long continual dose of Concerta just out of the blue. Never again am I touching that garbage.

sarahsweets
11-20-13, 06:43 AM
You are fear mongering and spreading junk. Cite some sources please. As for big pharma, their profits dont hinge on stimulants; stimulants have been around for years and years. If anything they are based on newer brand name drugs. If you had heart troubles while on concerta it is because you had previous heart issues even if you didnt know about them.

I have conflicted feelings about this. It's become more prevalent that big pharmaceuticals are going to try to push their drugs on the population and label natural herbs as bad, and are possibly in cahoots with big media conglomerates like NYtimes. Just something to consider.

Either way, there are more stories and studies showing how dangerous ADD medication can be. I speak from experience, almost having a heart attack on a year long continual dose of Concerta just out of the blue. Never again am I touching that garbage.

Amtram
11-20-13, 10:31 AM
Does the outside of the bottle say this?

<big>“These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”

</big>
Then why would you assume that it would diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease? I happen to love this post about this warning (http://whitecoatunderground.com/quack-miranda-warning-2/) on White Coat Underground.

Fraser_0762
11-20-13, 10:55 AM
You are fear mongering and spreading junk. Cite some sources please. As for big pharma, their profits dont hinge on stimulants; stimulants have been around for years and years. If anything they are based on newer brand name drugs. If you had heart troubles while on concerta it is because you had previous heart issues even if you didnt know about them.

Come on Sarah. Even you surely have to admit that some people do have negative experiences with stimulants.

Just because they've worked well for yourself, doesn't mean that another persons body won't have an adverse reaction to them.

I don't think somebody posting their own negative experiences is scare mongering. Everybody should be able to post their experiences regardless of whether they're positive or negative ones.

As for this arguement for suppliments vs pharmaceuticals, it's a long drawn out arguement that neither side will ever really win.

Anybody or any group on either side with an agenda can put a slant on scientific "evidence".

Fraser_0762
11-20-13, 11:07 AM
The myth of the loving wholesome supplement seller who thinks of nothing but your wellbeing and not the billions of profit they make has to go.

I can only hope this is a start.

You could say the exact same thing from the other side of the arguement about pharmaceutical companies.

Whether you buy suppliments or pharmaceuticals, of course it's about the billions of dollars.

Your own well-being will always come second to the profit margin.

Amtram
11-20-13, 11:23 AM
Fraser, you don't have to be an unvarnished supporter of the pharmaceutical industry, or any other medical industry, to be more suspicious of an industry that is regulated only by itself, and can make claims it doesn't research and can't support simply by printing a standard legal disclaimer on the label.

I think it's important to know, and be realistic, about how your medications are researched, how they're made, what they're made of, and how their safety and efficacy is regulated. For whatever flaws there are in pharmaceuticals, they are held to significantly higher standards than the supplement industry, and face significantly higher legal liability for failing to meet those standards than the supplement industry is.