View Full Version : anyone know anything about green tea?

sarahsweets
11-06-13, 05:46 AM
I dont mean as a treatment for adhd but for health reasons. I was considering trying to add a cup to my day, Ive read some stuff about antioxidents etc but I am a real novice with this one.

stef
11-06-13, 06:55 AM
I've read that it actually has a lot of caffeine (or the equivalent of caffeine that's found in tea), so if you already drink coffee...
Ugh I don't know I really dislike the taste of tea in the first place!

Fuzzy12
11-06-13, 06:59 AM
It's supposed to be super healthy. Full of antioxidants. I tried really hard getting used to drinking it but it just tastes too bad. :(

purpleToes
11-06-13, 07:10 AM
I drink green tea!

When I started stimulants, I was drinking coffee every day and the together with the stimulants I was feeling too wired. My therapist suggested switching to green tea and it was an immediate improvement.

I found it gives me almost as much of a lift as coffee, but in a mellower way. It has much less caffeine, and the theanine in it has some calming effect that balances the caffeine nicely. I understand there's a bunch of other good things in it for you, but to be honest I didn't research the details too much and just considered them a bonus.

Green tea will have more caffeine the hotter the water you brew it with. For the "best" flavor, you're supposed to use water a few degrees cooler than boiling and brew it for only two or three minutes to get bring out its delicate flavors, but I guess I do it all wrong; I use boiling water and often leave the tea bag in until I'm done drinking it. Don't follow my poor example :)

I mostly avoid caffeine now; if I want coffee, I treat myself to a Starbucks instant decaf, and if I want an energy boost, I usually go for the green tea.

I have tried a few different brands and I'm beginning to develop preferences, but I'm still a long way off from being a green tea snob. I think you will love it!

purpleToes
11-06-13, 07:15 AM
I LOVE green tea ice cream!

Unmanagable
11-06-13, 10:49 AM
If being a green tea snob includes having to stick your pinky out as you sip it, I'll never arrive. lol

We have a locally owned, independent grocer that sells loose teas, herbs, and spices. The flavor is better to me because the store brands all seemed to taste the same and very "bleh". I like to blend either some lavender, rosemary, ginger, lemon balm, nettles, raspberry leaf, etc. with some gunpowder or jasmine green tea.

I sweeten it with a spoonful of local honey, raw cane sugar, or the blend of lemon, ginger, and honey I keep on hand during cold and flu season.

Buying it like this intimidated me and made me anxious the first time, mainly because they price it per pound. I noticed one of the things I got was 19.80/lb. When I was filling up the little plastic bag, I kept thinking I was getting close to a pound. But when I got to the register, it was only 87 cents. :)

Abi
11-06-13, 10:55 AM
I know it tastes foul.

Does that help? :)

Abi
11-06-13, 10:56 AM
I bought organically grown veggies once... they literally tasted like I had stuck my mouth in a pile of mud. We're too used to all of this "fake" stuff....

Fuzzy12
11-06-13, 11:09 AM
Same here, Abi. I love mass produced, heavily treated veggies and fruits. I once went to this really snobby restaurant in my town and they proudly served us locally grown olives. I never knew olives could be so disgusting. :doh:

Unmanagable
11-06-13, 11:11 AM
The food-like substances have definitely distorted our taste buds. Learning how to prepare them in a yummy way at first helps a lot. Then ease into more stuff as your taste buds transition.

We've been focusing on price and what we think is good flavor instead of how our body is meant to process real stuff. When I eat the fake stuff now, all I can taste is chemical yuckiness.

Flory
11-06-13, 11:54 AM
It tastes like hot shower water to me I prefer rooibos/red bush it's caffeine free I find it quite calming also chamomile with a spoon of honey is yum

Fuzzy12
11-06-13, 12:03 PM
It tastes like hot shower water to me I prefer rooibos/red bush it's caffeine free I find it quite calming also chamomile with a spoon of honey is yum

My absolute favourite tea ever is chamomile, vanilla and honey. Just sniffing the teabag relaxes me!!

Dizfriz
11-06-13, 12:19 PM
All of the teas basically come from the same plant, variaties of Camellia sinensis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia_sinensis). The different varieties of teas (green, black, oolong etc) stem from different processing of the tea leaves.

As I understand it, green tea has less processing therefor has more of the "good" stuff left in.

I am not all that fond of the taste of green tea but do like several others especially Oolong.

For what it is worth,

Dizfriz

someothertime
11-06-13, 02:03 PM
3 days ago, i made some green tea. This was loose stuff not in bags. I must have put around 5 tblspoons in...

After drinking it I felt totally "charged" in a squeaky, open eyed kinda way....almost zappy..... At first i thought it was just the tea....but maybe i made too much...

dvdnvwls
11-06-13, 02:20 PM
Different green teas can taste different from each other, though of course they have quite a bit in common. The loose tea is often more interesting and better tasting than the bags.

someothertime: Yes, you made it super-strong and got a lot of caffeine etc.

addthree
11-06-13, 05:03 PM
I drink green tea daily. It is very low in caffeine compared to coffee or black tea. It aids in digestion. Its supposed to be healthy and full of antioxidants. I prefer the Twinnings brand but there are some other good ones.

purpleToes
11-06-13, 09:16 PM
The neuropharmacology of L-theanine(N-ethyl-L-glutamine): a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent. (2006)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17182482

L-theanine (N-ethyl-L-glutamine) or theanine is a major amino acid uniquely found in green tea. L-theanine has been historically reported as a relaxing agent, prompting scientific research on its pharmacology. Animal neurochemistry studies suggest that L-theanine increases brain serotonin, dopamine, GABA levels and has micromolar affinities for AMPA, Kainate and NMDA receptors. In addition has been shown to exert neuroprotective effects in animal models possibly through its antagonistic effects on group 1 metabotrophic glutamate receptors. Behavioural studies in animals suggest improvement in learning and memory. Overall, L-theanine displays a neuropharmacology suggestive of a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent and warrants further investigation in animals and humans.

I think the claim that theanine is found ONLY in green tea has turned out to be wrong; I keep seeing info that says that black tea may actually have more. I think all the confusion about whether green vs black teas have the most caffeine, theanine, etc, comes from the fact that there are many other factors influencing the content of these substances than just green vs black; and also because the perceived effects depend on the the synergy of several different psychoactive substances, not just the caffeine or theanine alone.

This question got me learning a lot about tea! I'm intrigued by theanine particularly, especially learning that it may counteract some of the negative effects of caffeine on sleep quality. I'm curious whether theanine, taken without caffeine, might have similar benefits to amphetamine-induced alterations in sleep quality. http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1564631&postcount=4

purpleToes
11-06-13, 09:54 PM
http://verdanttea.com/whats-the-real-deal-with-caffeine-in-tea (http://verdanttea.com/whats-the-real-deal-with-caffeine-in-tea/)
Article about the neuroscience of tea, with links to actual studies (but the article itself is not overly technical). Lots of bonus material in the comments, too.

Corina86
11-07-13, 09:46 AM
I love green tea, with or without any other herbs. Green tea with mint rocks and I feel so awake and fresh after it!

I also drink black tea, very strong, instead of coffee. I love how it keeps me awake, but doesn't do as much harm on my digestive system as coffee does.

Rickym
11-07-13, 01:06 PM
Green tea is a herbal tea and a best way to burn all extra fat and calories. Its a most beneficial tea for health. It is good for skin. Green tea helps us in reducing high blood pressure. I drink green tea everyday and it is good to drink it for everyone.

Brittany
11-07-13, 03:26 PM
There is this place from Canada where I order my tea! It's awesome! It's loose leaf tea so you get all the benefits! They have amazing flavored even some of you non tea drinkers would like! I wasn't really sure if I was allowed to still drink it with add meds! But I might try! But the place is Davids tea :)

dvdnvwls
11-07-13, 04:07 PM
About the caffeine - green tea is not necessarily lower in caffeine than black tea. It depends what kind you buy, and it depends how strong you make it, etc.

ADDarren
11-07-13, 06:50 PM
I started drinking SEN-CHA tea from maeda-en a few years ago. I was working with some vietnamese guys and they all drank it. I'd have to say it was an aquired taste thing. I didn't like it at first, but grew to like it. I use the same bag to steep 3 cups every morning at work. I usually just order it online...

dvdnvwls
11-07-13, 06:59 PM
There is this place from Canada where I order my tea! It's awesome! It's loose leaf tea so you get all the benefits! They have amazing flavored even some of you non tea drinkers would like! I wasn't really sure if I was allowed to still drink it with add meds! But I might try! But the place is Davids tea :)
You are allowed to, but some people have a lot of problems with side effects. If you've been taking your medication consistently at the same dosage for a long time, and you reliably know how your medication is going to work and how you're going to feel, then it's OK to try a little tea or coffee and see what happens. Do make sure to try just a small amount at first - it might give you a terrible buzzed feeling and a headache and so on, or it might be OK. It depends on the person. Anybody starting stimulant medication should quit caffeine until they are used to their medication and stable with the right dosage for them, and then (if they want to) try out some coffee or tea.

Rebelyell
11-07-13, 08:34 PM
Its supposed to be good for you anti oxidants and rids your body of free radicals or neutralizes some of them at least whixh in turn slows down aging process.

Corina86
11-08-13, 08:24 AM
Its supposed to be good for you anti oxidants and rids your body of free radicals or neutralizes some of them at least whixh in turn slows down aging process.

I'm gonna live forever then, lol!:D

Rickym
11-11-13, 12:45 PM
Green tea is a herbal tea and a best way to burn all extra fat and calories. Its a most beneficial tea for health. It is good for skin. Green tea helps us in reducing high blood pressure. I drink green tea everyday and it is good to drink it for everyone.
Reply must.