View Full Version : Help with school pressuring for medical diagnosis

babygirl25stl
11-06-13, 05:30 PM
Hello, I'm new here so please be patient with me. I'm in desperate need of advice from parents that have experience in primary schools and ADHD "school" and medical diagnostics. My 7 year old son has been in attendance since age 3 with ECD at the same school, last year teachers and my husband and I filled out the ADHD questionnaire and met with the school psychologist. I then took the papers to his primary doctor who said she would not feel comfortable placing him on meds, and referred me to the Child Psychology Center at Mercy Hospital. I met with the director who then told me my son did not test high enough, and with his current medical issues, he would not recommend medication.

Currently, my son has osteopenia and is very small, less that 3 percentile for his age group. He was a multiple birth, and weighed 1lbs 7oz at birth born at 23 weeks gestation due to heart failure. Has chronic lung disease and pulmonary bronchial dysplasia, sensory processing disorder.

Parent Teacher conference just came 3 weeks ago, and we haven't heard one complaint, then we got teamed by 4 school staff to tell us all about our son and his hyperactivity, and inability to focus, and what a distraction he is to the class. We were pushed the papers again, and these people acted like he isn't on an IEP, and never knew he was already tested and sent to the doctor! Now its daily I'm getting calls and e-mails about my son and his behavior. Apparently, a "care team met yesterday about my child to discuss what can be done for him, no one told me or notified me. I also got a call from his Gym teacher, she left a voicemail and said "we are really struggling with his behavior, he needs help beyond my reach" ! I know my son better than anyone, and I trust my doctors, and I have provided all the paper work from the doctor to the school. I'm feeling like they are pressuring me for a medical diagnosis to medicate him. Any words of advice I would greatly appreciate. Thank you in advance.

Ms. Mango
11-06-13, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure what paperwork they're asking you to sign. The school district cannot medicate your child and can't force you to medicate your child. Not even if he was a good candidate for medication, which he is not.

Is the school looking for a different placement or educational setting?

You say he's on an IEP, do they want to modify the IEP? It's within your rights to call a team meeting to find out what is going on.

Ms. Mango
11-06-13, 09:20 PM
Also, welcome to the forums! Also, if you haven't already done so, try the Wrightslaw website for more information about IEPs.

babygirl25stl
11-06-13, 10:10 PM
Thank you Ms. Mango, he us on an IEP, with a "school age learning impairment" but they made clear to me that the "umbrella diagnosis" he has won't give him enough help, so they want a medical diagnostic of ADHD because they feel he is hyper, and that can cover more of an umbrella to help him. He has OT, PT and Speech Therapy already and has 90 mins a day out of the classroom. So I do t know what to expect. What's eerie to me is at parent Teacher conferences, his teacher asked "so was he a preemie" well yes he was and that's in his ******* IEP along with his other health history.

I almost forgotten!!! Last year he had a weighted vest available to him, when he needed that sensory input, he could go to a "special drawer" at his teachers desk and get it out. This was so helpful to him since he can't always verbally express his wants or needs. The IEP is not due for renewing until Jan 6th 2014, he does not have this vest available now, and when I brought it up... No one knew what I was talking about.

sarahsweets
11-07-13, 05:19 AM
I would send a written request to your child's school and al involved and demand an IEP meeting and bring everyone up to speed. This back and forth thing with different teachers is doing no good.

JenE
11-07-13, 10:23 AM
I agree with Sarah. Sounds like the new teachers aren't even aware of teh IEP. It would be best to sit down with the existing IEP and all those involved and revise it again or at least make sure all know what is in it.

One thing I don't understand is what they are expecting to get for the IEP from the ADHD diagnosis and I would ask that question. The IEP cannot force you to medicate him, it can only provide accomodations in the school environment. So Im not sure what they are expecting. What plans do they have that will help him?

babygirl25stl
11-07-13, 10:51 AM
JenE, I did ask what services they think will be helpful, I go no answer. They did say a care team will be meeting about my child at school and to see if they can pool together ideas, I requested to be notified and present for the meeting, and was told "its during the teachers lunch hour, and its not necessary to be there" I insisted in the nicest way that I could have ideas or insight to help them, just to be told I would be notified and never was! I really feel I'm being pushed out of important decision making for my child. I have reminded the teacher several times about his IEP, and she expresses that she is aware and implementing it. How can she if she hasn't even read the cover page with his history! Every teacher he had before has always called me during the summer months to ask questions, give contact info and just get to know who my son is before school starts, and I never had any concerns about previous years. This year I was told he has an amazing teacher who works well with the "special needs children"... Today I'm contacting Special School District and the areas coordinator for my school, and going to explain what's going on and ask that some one take a look into this year. If these teachers don't want to get on the same page as his parents, I'm going to ask them to transfer him to another school.

zette93
11-07-13, 05:00 PM
If you call an IEP meeting, they have to hold it within a certain number of days.

You might consider seeing if there is an educational advocate (not a lawyer) who offers a free consult. Many in my area advertise that they will do a free review of the existing IEP. Sometimes the schools pay more attention and are more responsive once an advocate gets involved.