View Full Version : Memantine shown to improve cognitive function in BP1 & BP2 patients

Abi
11-07-13, 07:18 PM
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/806567

BustedTs206
11-21-13, 04:59 AM
I believe I was on Memantine (Namenda) for a few months.

I was also on Clonazepam and Adderall at the time, and I don't really recall Memantine being of much help to me. (May be subjective to others.) However, I will say it was much better than Seroquel, Abilify, and to some degree, Lithium.

After not succeeding with Namenda, my psychiatrist decided to move me to Ketamine (whoa! Ketamine? Who would prescribe that?!) I mention this because Ketamine is an even greater NMDA glutamatergic antagonist than Memantine (which my psychiatrist believes is strongly involved in BPD)... And Ketamine actually helped stabilize me a lot; it took my depression and mania and ultimately took my short-lived hypomania and longer-lasting depression to a NEUTRAL state, to a point where I wasn't rotating anymore.

And so, after six months of being on Ketamine, I tried getting off of Clonazepam. I went through withdrawals, and that kind of f$#@ed everything up. And my psychiatrist warned me not to get off, but I was just tired of taking so many ******* pills for so long... Now, I take nothing but Clonazepam every few days.

My mood is affected 100% by WHEN I eat, WHAT I eat, and HOW MUCH I eat.

Sorry for the rant, I've just never mentioned my unusual life story to anyone. Hope this was of help :o

sarahsweets
11-21-13, 05:08 AM
Isnt ketamine an animal tranquilizer?

Fuzzy12
11-21-13, 07:41 AM
Isnt ketamine an animal tranquilizer?

There's been some research recently that showed that ketamine could be used as a fast acting potent anti depressant. According to the research I've read, it seemed to help the majority of people in the sample study.

I thought it was still being researched and not available yet.

Yippee, if it does help with BP II, then maybe I can get some help in about 30 years when the NHS can prescribe it to me for Alzheimer's. :yes:

daveddd
11-21-13, 07:44 AM
yes, ketamine is a cat tranquilizer , known on the street as special K

i know several people who died from it (it wasnt medically prescribed though)

daveddd
11-21-13, 07:51 AM
There's been some research recently that showed that ketamine could be used as a fast acting potent anti depressant. According to the research I've read, it seemed to help the majority of people in the sample study.

I thought it was still being researched and not available yet.

Yippee, if it does help with BP II, then maybe I can get some help in about 30 years when the NHS can prescribe it to me for Alzheimer's. :yes:

i would think ketamine could relieve any negative state of mind

its main effect is dissociation