View Full Version : Experiment: notebook of sticky notes

high_voltage
11-09-13, 01:09 AM
I'm deciding to try something to keep my thoughts and ideas organized. I saw a friend with this notebook full of stickynotes- she uses them to keep notes on contacts she has through volunteer work, etc. But I thought I could adapt the same idea for myself.

ADD has given me the gift of having a really diverse mind- I have a lot of ideas and interests, and the aptitude to study them, but the curse of it is that I lack the focus and follow through to really get into a particular subject of interest for the most part, unless it has to do with electricity :) That's my nerdiness!

Anyway, I want to use the sticky note notebook or similar tool and write down these subjects and ideas and put them somewhere so that when I do have the focus to dig into something, I have some direction to channel that energy in to.

Has anyone else done this, and if so, has any particular strategy proven helpful?

dvdnvwls
11-09-13, 01:34 AM
Suggestion:
1. A storage box at home
2. A very strong clip ("Bulldog clip" or similar)
3. Small cards (recipe cards, or even just slips of paper) that will fit in your pocket and fit in the storage box

Put several cards in the clip, and put that in your pocket. As cards fill up, put them in the box at home and get new blank cards. You decide how much goes on each card before it goes into the box.

stef
11-09-13, 04:32 AM
i like the notebook of sticky notes idea!
i get tons of random ideas at work
but it wouldnt work i use stcky notes mostly to write"please sign this" (for someone else) or "send by fedex today" and then i through them away (ive lost phone numbers doing this...)

hmmm.....

index cards for me are for short lists of errands, but seriously that is an ecxellent idea!

dvdnvwls
11-09-13, 04:42 AM
i like the notebook of sticky notes idea!
i get tons of random ideas at work
but it wouldnt work i use stcky notes mostly to write"please sign this" (for someone else) or "send by fedex today" and then i through them away (ive lost phone numbers doing this...)

hmmm.....

index cards for me are for short lists of errands, but seriously that is an ecxellent idea!If you're the kind of person who likes a big page for laying out ideas, then neither of these ideas would work for you. Otherwise... :)

someothertime
11-09-13, 07:07 AM
For the pure centralisation of it... I use wunderlist on mobile phone (+other it's ubiquitous?) ( similar apps are gnotes and evernote). I have to be honest and say that some of the "folders" are growing quite massive... which is ok if they are non-immediate things but for to do lists they really need to be kept brief and descriptive...

I have paper systems to.... tho this = 1000 bits of paper in a box :o several with alternate stuff scribbles over the top.

So yeah... whatever you choose give some consideration to the "pruning/sorting/storing" process that is simple and will work for you.

high_voltage
11-09-13, 10:23 AM
Yeah! I have my little Topix book that I made then I made this thing out of a manila folder- the outside is "to do" and the inside is "done" and there are sticky notes for the things I need reminding to do, like laundry, dishes, shopping for specific things, etc.

Launching it this weekend to see if it helps me focus on the stuff I need to focus on.

I like you guys' ideas too!

dvdnvwls
11-09-13, 12:14 PM
No matter what your note-taking system for new ideas, you need a sorting and storing strategy. Otherwise they'll just get lost or never get used. Even if you carry a huge notebook, you still need a strategy for what to do when the notebook gets full, and a strategy for if you're ever going to go over those notes or if they're going to just sit there in the notebook. :)

apoeticdevice
08-22-14, 12:32 AM
For the pure centralisation of it... I use wunderlist on mobile phone (+other it's ubiquitous?) ( similar apps are gnotes and evernote). I have to be honest and say that some of the "folders" are growing quite massive... which is ok if they are non-immediate things but for to do lists they really need to be kept brief and descriptive...

I have paper systems to.... tho this = 1000 bits of paper in a box :o several with alternate stuff scribbles over the top.

So yeah... whatever you choose give some consideration to the "pruning/sorting/storing" process that is simple and will work for you.

LOL. So good to know that I am not the only one with way too many notes on their phone. I have so many planner and note apps but I always rely and actually follow through on my Filofax planner. I have a "dashboard" on it where I place my current To Do sticky notes.